Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hornady Zombie Max Ammo... REALLY?! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439117)

SGT278ACR 08-23-2012 10:37

Hornady Zombie Max Ammo... REALLY?!

I was just talking to a co-worker about this ammo. You know... I love the show "The Walking Dead" but that's about as far as my fascination with the "zombie" thing goes. We were saying that somebody up at Hornady's corporate headquarters is sitting back and laughing their asses off at how much money they're making off the zombie novelty ammo. Change the color on the ammo and design a scary zombie looking box for packaging and they're making a killing off of a bunch of geeks buying up the ammo just because it says "zombie" on the box. When in reality, it's just "critical defense" with different colored tips and a cartoon box.

Creatism 08-23-2012 10:44

Some places are charging double for "zombie max" I bet they are laughing.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

PettyOfficer 08-23-2012 10:49

I was at a gunshow recently where a box of 20 Zombie were cheaper than a box of 20 Critical Defense.

I thought they are the same and laughed a little inside.

I'm tempted to buy a box for the novelty sake, but why not shoot good ammo? As well, I already have my SD ammo stocked up nicely.

M 7 08-23-2012 12:13

Zombie Max

Too controversial for legitimate SD use. (try 'splainin' why you used ammo designed to "kill" the "undead" to the jury without looking like a "nut")

Too expensive for practice. (plain old ball ammo is much cheaper)

Pass.

blacksheep40 08-23-2012 12:40

but trying to be a troll or start a fight but I for one am tired of the "legal aspect" comments of all things firearms...

M 7 08-23-2012 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksheep40 (Post 19339378)
but trying to be a troll or start a fight but I for one am tired of the "legal aspect" comments of all things firearms...

I beg to differ. I wasn't trolling or trying to start a fight.

I simply voiced a simple observation and opinion.

I've not called anyone a name, derided anyone's opinion or acted disrespectfully.

blacksheep40 08-23-2012 14:07

sorry, auto correct fudged my post.. *not trying to be a troll

blacksheep40 08-23-2012 14:08

damn you autocorrect...

9mm +p+ 08-23-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksheep40 (Post 19339378)

Agreed, everyone is a friggin attorney online.

Kromedome 08-23-2012 14:11

Love the Zombie thing! Movies, novels, e-books and such are a treat to me. The Walking Dead is my absolute fave tv show but, that being said, I can't bring myself to purchase anything zombie/firearm related. Glad the merch is moving money around but it's surely not for me. ETA: Don't want to side-track the OP but has anyone seen those EO-Tech Zombie Stopper HWS's? :yuck:

blacksheep40 08-23-2012 14:17

another thing that kills me is the people in yt videos showing the pistol is unloaded 9000 times... I'm not in the room for your dumb ass to shoot me, so I dont care if your gun is unloaded...

JW1178 08-23-2012 14:23

In a legal sense any prosecutor that tried to argue that ammo as more deadly would be the one that looks like a nut. You can say "its no different that the regular stuff and since I make my living from work and not stealing I had to actually buy it and it was cheaper, and it's just a joke". All in all it's just packaging.

I think that if you were really facing zombies who are already dead, the only way to stop them would be to totally disable them so they couldn't physically do anything to you, so anything less than a shotgun would be futile because you would have to dismember them.

Anyways, I don't worry about a coming of a zombie appocolypse, I worry about the ********* appocolypse that is already upon us.

M 7 08-23-2012 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksheep40 (Post 19339700)
sorry, auto correct fudged my post.. *not trying to be a troll

blacksheep,

OK. No problem. :)

Seems these days everyone takes exception to everything- guess I am getting too sensitive to it. :upeyes:

CigarandScotch 08-23-2012 14:47

I bought some for the novelty factor (and not to shoot or use for SD for the same reasons mentioned above). Yes, I am a geek. I figure sooner or later they will either stop selling it, or the MSM will do some stupid story about it so it gets pulled from the shelves. Then it will become the stuff of legend, like Black Talons.

Maybe I will be able to get $5 per round...

robhic 08-23-2012 16:27

I bought some for the novelty and to take my eldest grand dude shooting. He shot up a bunch of Zombie targets with Zombie ammo and was a happy boy. Shootin' and learnin' the "way of the 9mm" I felt was a win-win proposition! :supergrin:

OctoberRust 08-23-2012 16:37

Wow OP, welcome to 4 months ago. :rofl:

And yea, I bought a box in 9mm... Not to use, or carry, but just to say I have a box of "zombie ammo" :rofl:

20$ well spent IMO.

Glockdude1 08-23-2012 16:46

http://i40.tinypic.com/10naloy.jpg

Be prepared!!

:cool:

jbglock 08-23-2012 17:17

1. I guess I'm getting old. I just don't get all this Zombie ammo stuff although I've seen a few movies on it that were interesting.
2. I never thought about it but Zombie stuff would make a good news story. Now I'm going to have to buy some just in case it does become a collectible if I can find it cheap enough. If it never does I can just shoot it. :)
3. Zombie targets I can't get enough of! Not for me but for my son. We end every range session with me rewarding him for safe gun handling and good marksmanship with a few of the reactive Zombie targets at 10 yards. He hangs them up in his room and loves showing them off. I made a smiley face for him with my Glock at 10 yards yesterday and he couldn't have been less impressed. Those Zombie targets though he just has to show to his friends and family. LOL! Anything that encourages a youth to shoot more is good in my book. :)

jfost11 08-23-2012 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksheep40 (Post 19339735)
another thing that kills me is the people in yt videos showing the pistol is unloaded 9000 times... I'm not in the room for your dumb ass to shoot me, so I dont care if your gun is unloaded...

I feel the same way. If they shot their camera or themselves, I figure the video wouldn't have been posted.

swinokur 08-24-2012 04:13

Apparently the marketing guys think they have stumbled onto something. I've seen ads for "Zombie" products from Crimson Trace and Eotech as well. I'm sure there are more. It must be working or they wouldn't market the stuff that way.

Seems a bit silly to me.