Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Chamber support (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444329)

pcmanic 09-22-2012 21:00

Chamber support
 
Are the new Gen 4 .40 S&W chambers fully supported? I'd like to try some Buffalo Bore brand bullets but they warn not to shoot them in Gocks ....Rich

dkf 09-22-2012 21:23

You are not going to get a fully supported barrel for a Glock, well at least not one that will function. There is going to be an area at the feed ramp that is not going to have full support, just the way it is. The later .40 glock barrels like in your Gen 4 have more support than the older .40 barrels. If it were me I would shoot them one a time and examine the brass. A small convex portion near the unsupported part of the chamber is normal.

If you get something that looks like the pic below you do not want to shoot any more.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...10mmbulge1.jpg

DannyR 09-23-2012 00:26

No semi-automatic has a 100% fully supported chamber. Having one would render the pistol a single shot, hand fed weapon, as ammo would not feed from a magazine into the chamber. Some barrels have more chamber support than others, but the trade off is sometimes reliability with all ammo.

avenues165 09-23-2012 13:35

I, too, have wondered about the safety of using a hot .40 load from vendors such as BB, DT, Underwood (I know about the chrono results folks have seen from DT).

BB states on their website that Glock OEM barrels are not to be used with their ammo. DT posts results using Glocks, Underwood doesn't say. Are the +p designations from some manufacturers a true indication of pressures that exceed SAAMI specs, or are they a marketing strategy?

It has been my practice to stay away from .40 "+p" loadings.

TattooedGlock 09-23-2012 13:38

Underwood tests all their 10mm ammo in stock Glocks.

M 7 09-23-2012 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 19447098)
You are not going to get a fully supported barrel for a Glock, well at least not one that will function. There is going to be an area at the feed ramp that is not going to have full support, just the way it is. The later .40 glock barrels like in your Gen 4 have more support than the older .40 barrels. If it were me I would shoot them one a time and examine the brass. A small convex portion near the unsupported part of the chamber is normal.

If you get something that looks like the pic below you do not want to shoot any more.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...10mmbulge1.jpg

Yikes. :shocked:

Is that spent case from a gun that you fired?

ctious 09-23-2012 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 19447098)
You are not going to get a fully supported barrel for a Glock, well at least not one that will function. There is going to be an area at the feed ramp that is not going to have full support, just the way it is. The later .40 glock barrels like in your Gen 4 have more support than the older .40 barrels. If it were me I would shoot them one a time and examine the brass. A small convex portion near the unsupported part of the chamber is normal.

If you get something that looks like the pic below you do not want to shoot any more.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...10mmbulge1.jpg

I disagree. There are aftermarket that are fully supported and will function fine. It cause cause feeding problems. But it can be done. Most venders now just offer better support. Tig weld the ramp and recut it. U can get fully supported that way.

TattooedGlock 09-23-2012 14:22

I just watched a vid showing Glock, Lonewolf, and a Storm Lake10 mm barrel and comparing the throat of each. They all covered the round exactly the same. The Glock was about 1/10th of a millimeter wider at the opening. Not a whole lot of difference.

jeanderson 09-23-2012 14:47

Here's one of several pics I found comparing .40 cal barrels. Older (1998) would appear to be less supported:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...relComparo.jpg

AquaHull 12-15-2012 08:48

Nice pics, I'll have to look at my '06 model

My 19 looks in between the 98 G23 and 09 LWD barrel barrel

ADK_40GLKr 12-15-2012 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by avenues165 (Post 19448884)
It has been my practice to stay away from .40 "+p" loadings.

There IS such a thing???

SJ 40 12-15-2012 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr (Post 19737417)
There IS such a thing???

There is No SAMMI specs for a 40 S&W + P ,so it would be a fly by the seat of the pants kind of thing,not something I'm interested in. SJ 40

clarkz71 12-15-2012 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmanic (Post 19447027)
Are the new Gen 4 .40 S&W chambers fully supported? I'd like to try some Buffalo Bore brand bullets but they warn not to shoot them in Gocks ....Rich

Much better then they were, equal to LW barrel

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctious (Post 19448992)
I disagree. There are aftermarket that are fully supported and will function fine. It cause cause feeding problems. But it can be done. Most venders now just offer better support. Tig weld the ramp and recut it. U can get fully supported that way.

Here's my G23 Gen3 March2012 production

Way more support then the old 98 & before barrels


http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ber2012010.jpg

dkf 12-15-2012 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctious (Post 19448992)
I disagree. There are aftermarket that are fully supported and will function fine. It cause cause feeding problems. But it can be done. Most venders now just offer better support. Tig weld the ramp and recut it. U can get fully supported that way.

Show me a fully supported aftermarket Glock barrel then. Maybe in a 1911 but not a Glock. You also contradict yourself saying the barrel will "function fine" and then say "can cause feeding problems". Which one is it. Sounds like you are talking out your rear. A gun that does not function reliablly is worthless to me in every application.

diode 12-15-2012 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkz71 (Post 19737841)
Much better then they were, equal to LW barrel



Here's my G23 Gen3 March2012 production

Way more support then the old 98 & before barrels


http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ber2012010.jpg

I agree, Glock has changed the chamber to the point that a reliable feed and good safety appear to be accomplished in my later Gen g23. Any more support would be a revolver cylinder. jb

clarkz71 12-15-2012 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by diode (Post 19738386)
I agree, Glock has changed the chamber to the point that a reliable feed and good safety appear to be accomplished in my later Gen g23. Any more support would be a revolver cylinder. jb

For sure, I had 2 G23's back in 97, I couldn't believe how
much better the new ones were when I got this new Gen 3.

kodiakpb 12-15-2012 15:06

Here's a 2010 G23C RTF2

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/16/6ydyhe6e.jpg

tonyparson 12-15-2012 18:03

Here is the chamber support on my 1995 G24...

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/images/...04_photo_5.jpg

F106 Fan 12-15-2012 18:37

If the manufacturer says not to shoot their ammo in Glock barrels, why do you have a question?

Don't shoot their ammo in a Glock barrel!

Richard

AustinTx 12-15-2012 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 19447098)
You are not going to get a fully supported barrel for a Glock, well at least not one that will function. There is going to be an area at the feed ramp that is not going to have full support, just the way it is. The later .40 glock barrels like in your Gen 4 have more support than the older .40 barrels. If it were me I would shoot them one a time and examine the brass. A small convex portion near the unsupported part of the chamber is normal.

If you get something that looks like the pic below you do not want to shoot any more.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...10mmbulge1.jpg

I have never had a barrel, in a 1911 that required a chamber that much oversize, to function. Why does Glock?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.