Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Your input please (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445924)

S.Dewey 10-02-2012 20:17

Your input please
 
So...... I was able to post this on the Ar part, not sure why, so it is going here. What is the hype over flat top Ar15's? What advantages does it give the user? Compared to an A2 upper or a flattop, which is better, and why. Please give me some good information to go on. Part of me wants to change out my A2 upper to a flat top because well "All the cool guys are doing it," yet part of me likes how the A2 is (though that could be because that's all I know).

Thanks.

XDRoX 10-02-2012 20:23

If all you want to use is iron sites and you fancy the handy carrying handle, then an A2 is all you need.

If you would like to put an optic on your AR, then a flat top is quite useful.

NeverMore1701 10-02-2012 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDRoX (Post 19479296)
If all you want to use is iron sites and you fancy the handy carrying handle, then an A2 is all you need.

If you would like to put an optic on your AR, then a flat top is quite useful.

I disagree, if you want to run a carry handle still get a flat top, and just put a carry handle on it.

michael_b 10-02-2012 20:51

Basically, a flattop gives you more flexibility to customize, IMO.

If you're happy with your setup, then enjoy it, and don't worry about what's popular or currently the 'in' thing.

I built mine with a flattop because I like the look and as was stated, you can add a carry handle to it if the need/desire arises.

If you want to try a flattop, just get a second upper.



Posted from my iPhone

12131 10-02-2012 21:24

If you never ever ever want optics ever ever, just get an AR with permanently attached carrying handle. If you think of optics possibility down the road, get a flat top AR with a flipped up rear sight. Sure, you can attach optics onto the carrying handle, but it's cumbersome. Sure, you can get a detachable carrying handle, but, once you plan on optics, you're gonna toss that handle and buy a BUIS.

Gunnut 45/454 10-02-2012 22:02

I have one A2 and two flattops! Like them all! And the A2 does wear an optic.:supergrin:

K. Foster 10-03-2012 15:45

A flat top provides a superior platform for mounting optics or any type of rear sight you want.

mjkeat 10-03-2012 18:05

For most it has nothing to do w/ cool. It's all about superior function. The carry handle has been replaced w/ a more functional device, a sling.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mvician 10-03-2012 18:59

This is why it was originally there


http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ceiverleft.jpg


Why it was kept after the charging handle was changed ???

ratf51 10-03-2012 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvician (Post 19482421)
This is why it was originally there


http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ceiverleft.jpg


Why it was kept after the charging handle was changed ???

This officially makes my "learn something new everyday" list for today. Thanks! :wavey:

TucsonGlocker 10-04-2012 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratf51 (Post 19482752)
This officially makes my "learn something new everyday" list for today. Thanks! :wavey:

Same here! Something I definitely did not know and is really cool to see. :cool:

I agree with everyone else that said a flattop allows for more flexibility.

TattooedGlock 10-04-2012 17:24

A carry handle is a pain in the arse and you'll never actually carry your gun with it. Flat tops give you the option for optics, irons, both, etc. or even adding a handle if that's your thing. Flatop is the way to go.

Toby196 10-05-2012 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvician (Post 19482421)
This is why it was originally there


http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ceiverleft.jpg


Why it was kept after the charging handle was changed ???

Huh, I too learned something new today.

My introduction to the AR came 10 years ago when I first got issued a M16 in Basic. One of the first things the Drill Sergeants "stressed" to us was, "You're not allowed to carry your rifle by using the carry handle"!!! :drillsgt:

My thought was, "then why the hell is it there"??? :headscratch: Initially I just assumed it was one more way DS's screw with you (like how we were made to carry our weapon at high-ready instead of low-ready during long ruck marches). As time went on I came to assume it was just how Stoner designed the sight setup, not knowing (until now) that the charging handle was originally designed as your picture illustrates.

Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

MrMurphy 10-06-2012 03:25

The 'carry handle' was also a fashion thing.

During WW2, infantry spent a lot of time marching on foot, everywhere. Most of that with rifle in hand or slung, sometimes while carrying other stuff. Usually not in a tactical manner, but a "slog from Point A to Point B for 30 miles along this road".

Stoner was a Marine and he'd spent his fair share of time doing so. Most other rifles designed during this time period either had a carry handle or something similar for the same reason. FAL being a good example. Mostly a designer's 'hey, why not?" going by previous experiences and depending on the army asking for it.

Since the AR was going to need higher sights than usual he combined the sights into that first to protect the charging handle, then, just to be useful. Even if practices changed and the 'bugout handle' was no longer used. Only time I've ever used it was carrying 12 M16's at once (three per hand and the rest slung all over me).

S.Dewey 10-06-2012 06:56

lots of useful and interesting information. I'm leaning towards just keeping it with the handle and later on the line building a more modern version. I do want to put a rail system on it though. But there are oh so many choices!

ithaca_deerslayer 10-06-2012 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMurphy (Post 19490043)

Since the AR was going to need higher sights than usual .

Why? Because the charging lever was originally on top, or some other reason?

MrMurphy 10-06-2012 14:51

Straight line stock design.

Matthew Courtney 10-06-2012 16:18

A2 rifles are very easy to secure with a chain or cable through the carry handle.

Toby196 10-06-2012 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney (Post 19491696)
A2 rifles are very easy to secure with a chain or cable through the carry handle.

:headscratch:


:supergrin:

K. Foster 10-06-2012 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney (Post 19491696)
A2 rifles are very easy to secure with a chain or cable through the carry handle.

Chains and padlocks are only a minor inconvenience to criminals.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.