Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gun-Control Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Aurora Shooting Survivor Begs Our Next President For Gun Control (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445981)

4Rules 10-03-2012 09:18

Aurora Shooting Survivor Begs Our Next President For Gun Control
 
In the chilling ad (Published to YouTube on Sep 30, 2012 by maigcoalition), Stephen Barton sits alone in an empty theater before showing off the long scars that cover his neck. He asks Americans to "demand a plan" for gun control violence and keep "The Dark Knight Rises" shooting in mind when watching Wednesday's presidential debate.
<http: www.businessinsider.com="" stephen-bartons-gun-control-ad-2012-10="">http://www.businessinsider.com/stephen-bartons-gun-control-ad-2012-10
<http: www.youtube.com="" watch?feature="player_embedded&v=9yT8CSgh43E">


</http:></http:>

CanMan 10-03-2012 09:29

I can see the passion in his plea... but more 'gun control' will fix gun violence about as well as Obama has fixed unemployment. Why is Mr. Holmes still with us anyway?

Beware Owner 10-03-2012 09:31

What he should do is ask the doctors who medicated the shooter to be jailed. Just about all of these insane shootings involve prescription medications.

eb07 10-03-2012 10:24

Laws, regulations, and an army of police officers will not protect you from a violent, dedicated attacker. Training and arming yourself will. Why don't people get this?

PhotoFeller 10-03-2012 10:28

What if someone started a campaign against easy availability of alcohol featuring families of victims of drunk driving accidents? An extension of this effort could expose brutal deaths through beatings at the hands of drunken relatives and strangers.

A campaign against cell phones could spotlight people who lost love ones in accidents caused by texting drivers.

Alcohol, cell phones and guns don't kill people, its the fools who abuse them that do. Why is this so hard to comprehend? Why do gun killings arouse so much emotion while drunk driving killings do not? Drunk drivers kill far more victims than shootings, but society doesn't seem to notice. Is this another manifestation of liberal media focus?

Beware Owner 10-03-2012 10:33

I'm serious, most of these crazed shooters were on PRESCRIPTION DRUGS, why hasn't anyone gone after big pharma?

Captain Caveman 10-03-2012 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beware Owner (Post 19480826)
I'm serious, most of these crazed shooters were on PRESCRIPTION DRUGS, why hasn't anyone gone after big pharma?


Because big pharma has WAY too much money behind them. Nobody is willing or able to fight them. And concerning alcohol, people already hold the drinkers responsible. It's a double standard.

Beware Owner 10-03-2012 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Caveman (Post 19481119)
Because big pharma has WAY too much money behind them. Nobody is willing or able to fight them. And concerning alcohol, people already hold the drinkers responsible. It's a double standard.

I think it's because big pharma has our politicians in their pockets. I think that the victims should do a class act on them, it's really their fault.

Captain Caveman 10-03-2012 13:05

Class actions are symbolic. The victims don't get anything, just the attorneys on both sides. To get at big pharma, it needs to be a HUGE award to one victim and it needs to be all over the media. It'll never happen.

F350 10-03-2012 13:21

I read the other day a newspaper story that stated this guy works for Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" so it is not like a sudden conversion for him.

PhotoFeller 10-03-2012 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Caveman (Post 19481119)
"... concerning alcohol, people already hold the drinkers responsible. It's a double standard".

I don't understand your point, Captain. Shooters are held accountable under the law. Drunk drivers are held accountable, too. Where is the double standard?

My point was that guns get as much attention as the shooters who use them (the firearm make, model, magazine capacity, number of guns involved, number of bullets carried by the shooter and stashed in his vehicle, etc.). Aside from the efforts of MADD, alcohol gets a free pass when drunk driver accidents occur, and nobody launches a campaign for tougher alcohol control legislation.

Go figure.

Jerry 10-03-2012 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Rules (Post 19480581)
In the chilling ad (Published to YouTube on Sep 30, 2012 by maigcoalition), Stephen Barton sits alone in an empty theater before showing off the long scars that cover his neck. He asks Americans to "demand a plan" for gun control violence and keep "The Dark Knight Rises" shooting in mind when watching Wednesday's presidential debate.
<http: www.businessinsider.com="" stephen-bartons-gun-control-ad-2012-10="">http://www.businessinsider.com/stephen-bartons-gun-control-ad-2012-10
<http: www.youtube.com="" watch?feature="player_embedded&v=9yT8CSgh43E">


</http:></http:>

Clueless "Sheep" trying to increase the size of the herd. :upeyes:

Captain Caveman 10-04-2012 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoFeller (Post 19481584)
I don't understand your point, Captain. Shooters are held accountable under the law. Drunk drivers are held accountable, too. Where is the double standard?

My point was that guns get as much attention as the shooters who use them (the firearm make, model, magazine capacity, number of guns involved, number of bullets carried by the shooter and stashed in his vehicle, etc.). Aside from the efforts of MADD, alcohol gets a free pass when drunk driver accidents occur, and nobody launches a campaign for tougher alcohol control legislation.

Go figure.


That's exactly what I was saying. In a shooting, the tool gets as much if not more blame, as the user of that tool. In a drunk driving case, it's all the user not the tool or tools. Don't forget the vehicle.

Beware Owner 10-05-2012 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Caveman (Post 19481286)
Class actions are symbolic. The victims don't get anything, just the attorneys on both sides. To get at big pharma, it needs to be a HUGE award to one victim and it needs to be all over the media. It'll never happen.

I hope one day it does, actually, I hope it happens all the time!

Psychman 10-11-2012 09:04

So the fact that Holmes abused narcotic pain medications and went out and shot people means the drug companies are to blame? What a simplistic thought.

Bren 10-11-2012 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Rules (Post 19480581)
In the chilling ad (Published to YouTube on Sep 30, 2012 by maigcoalition), Stephen Barton sits alone in an empty theater before showing off the long scars that cover his neck. He asks Americans to "demand a plan" for gun control violence and keep "The Dark Knight Rises" shooting in mind when watching Wednesday's presidential debate.
<http: www.businessinsider.com="" stephen-bartons-gun-control-ad-2012-10="">http://www.businessinsider.com/stephen-bartons-gun-control-ad-2012-10
<http: www.youtube.com="" watch?feature="player_embedded&v=9yT8CSgh43E">


</http:></http:>

Good. If that idiot can get Obama to say something anti-gun, he'll pretty much guarantee himself a loss. By the way, being a crime vicitm doesn't make you any more of an expert on crime than you were before.:upeyes:

Kilrain 10-11-2012 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 19506801)
Good. If that idiot can get Obama to say something anti-gun, he'll pretty much guarantee himself a loss. By the way, being a crime vicitm doesn't make you any more of an expert on crime than you were before.:upeyes:

In this case his initial victimization does appear to be making him a professional victim.................

MAC702 10-11-2012 12:06

It was "gun control" that required him to be an unarmed victim in a room full of unarmed victims. I don't get it...

Since the guns were ALREADY illegal in that theater, maybe they should just outlaw murder.

MAC702 10-11-2012 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 19506801)
...By the way, being a crime vicitm doesn't make you any more of an expert on crime than you were before.:upeyes:

Indeed. It is proof that you are NOT.

rhikdavis 10-11-2012 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry (Post 19483283)
Clueless "Sheep" trying to increase the size of the herd. :upeyes:

That safety in numbers thing methinks. :supergrin:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.