Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Manual Safety for Glock (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446337)

Ernroe 10-05-2012 14:21

Manual Safety for Glock
 
Does anyone know of a Gunsmith that installs manual safeties on Glocks?

Thanking you in advance.

Ernie

Breadman03 10-05-2012 16:24

here.

markerbeacon 10-09-2012 07:15

Do it yourself with Siderlock ($49) or a guy in Texas, TenRing.com ($133)

CanMan 10-09-2012 20:09

Absolutely, positively no offense, but why?

Breadman03 10-10-2012 03:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanMan (Post 19502191)
Absolutely, positively no offense, but why?

I would have no problem installing one. A manual safety doesn't take extra time to disengage when properly trained. I just feel that my needs are met without the extra safety.

Lift from holster.
Rotate pistol toward threat as disengaging safety.
Bring pistol up to line of sight.

PhotoFeller 10-10-2012 04:15

I understand the Glock booth gunsmith at local gunshows will install a Siderlock safety while you wait. As simple as they are to install (so I've read), any reputable local gunsmith should be able to install one.

Ernroe 10-10-2012 06:06

Thanks for the comments. I shipped the Glock to Rick Devoid of Tarnhelm Supply in NH. I will do a follow up post when I receive it back from Rick.

As to why I wanted a manual safety. I carry IWB using a Clipdraw (there is an ongoing thread regarding that subject in Carry Issues Section) and was using the Saf T Blok trigger block behind the trigger. It functions as it should but is an external part that can be dislodged or lost. And it is hard to practice with because you have to look for it after every course of fire. I am accustom to a manual thumb safety and that is all (IMO) the Glock needed to meet my needs.
[URL="http://www.Glockstore.com"]www.Glockstore.com[/URL] to see the Saf T Blok

Be Good,

Ernie

Ernroe 11-10-2012 21:14

I received my Glk 33 back from Rick Devoid at Tarnhelm Supply and it (manual safety) is perfect. Thanks to Rick and his people at Tarnhelm Supply.

PhotoFeller 11-10-2012 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernroe (Post 19617789)
I received my Glk 33 back from Rick Devoid at Tarnhelm Supply and it (manual safety) is perfect. Thanks to Rick and his people at Tarnhelm Supply.

Can't you tell us more, post some close up pics? How long does it take? Did they do anything else? Does it look like a factory job? Does it complicate detail stripping?

Paul53 11-11-2012 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanMan (Post 19502191)
Absolutely, positively no offense, but why?

People have different comfort zones.

4Rules 11-11-2012 07:18

http://www.tarnhelm.com/GlockSafety.html

Ernroe 11-11-2012 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoFeller (Post 19618106)
Can't you tell us more, post some close up pics? How long does it take? Did they do anything else? Does it look like a factory job? Does it complicate detail stripping?

It took a little over 2 weeks but Sandy may have caused a delay. It matches up perfectly with the slide release and looks like it came from the factory, very professional. I had Rick reinstall the factory trigger the aftermarket trigger was too light for a carry gun, in my opinion. I only field strip the gun for cleaning and it does not impede that process in anyway. I have not been to the range since I got it back but when I do I will give a report. One unusual feature is you must let the slide go forward under its own power. If you retard the foward motion of the slide the safety will not engage. I have a stainless steel guide rod and recoil spring and that may have something to do with it.

PhotoFeller 11-11-2012 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernroe (Post 19618808)
It took a little over 2 weeks but Sandy may have caused a delay. It matches up perfectly with the slide release and looks like it came from the factory, very professional. I had Rick reinstall the factory trigger the aftermarket trigger was too light for a carry gun, in my opinion. I only field strip the gun for cleaning and it does not impede that process in anyway. I have not been to the range since I got it back but when I do I will give a report. One unusual feature is you must let the slide go forward under its own power. If you retard the foward motion of the slide the safety will not engage. I have a stainless steel guide rod and recoil spring and that may have something to do with it.

Is this a Tarnhelm Supply design, or do they use Siderlock?

It sounds like the ability to chamber a round by hand racking the slide has been lost. Thus, chambering requires locking the slide open, inserting a loaded mag and releasing the slide lock. Correct?

Ernroe 11-11-2012 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoFeller (Post 19619411)
Is this a Tarnhelm Supply design, or do they use Siderlock?

It sounds like the ability to chamber a round by hand racking the slide has been lost. Thus, chambering requires locking the slide open, inserting a loaded mag and releasing the slide lock. Correct?

No, that is not what I am saying. 1. the gun has to be cocked.
2.You can rack the slide back with or without a magazine, with or without a round. When the slide is pulled all the way back let it go and everthing works as it should.
3. If you ease the slide forward with your hand is when it may not work.

I hope that explains it. BTW it is not a slider lock.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 00:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.