Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Religious Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   If Americans came from... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446436)

muscogee 10-06-2012 08:11

If Americans came from...
 
http://i.imgur.com/nzmwC.jpg

Enquiring minds want to know.

FCoulter 10-06-2012 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscogee (Post 19490450)
http://i.imgur.com/nzmwC.jpg

Enquiring minds want to know.

This should help explain it. http://cbcg.org/twobabylons.htm




ArtificialGrape 10-06-2012 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCoulter (Post 19490510)
This should help explain it. http://cbcg.org/twobabylons.htm




I need you to help me out. What does your link have to do with how evolution is misunderstood or misrepresented around here?

-ArtificialGrape

FCoulter 10-06-2012 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape (Post 19490630)
I need you to help me out. What does your link have to do with how evolution is misunderstood or misrepresented around here?

-ArtificialGrape

Have you read the book?

ArtificialGrape 10-06-2012 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCoulter (Post 19490730)
Have you read the book?

No, but my time is valuable, and while I've read a number of the articles that you've presented, I'm not likely to read this without even a hint to its relevance.

Why don't you distill the best 2 or 3 points for us.

thanks,
-ArtificialGrape

SDGlock23 10-06-2012 11:52

When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.

Glock36shooter 10-06-2012 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGlock23 (Post 19490993)
Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.

That's exactly why you're not capable of grasping it. You don't even understand how off the mark this statement is. Evolution is conclusions drawn from mountains of evidence. It isn't a guy making a statement that may or may not be true. It's truth born of tons and tons of evidence and anything found to be untrue or impossible has already been discarded.

ArtificialGrape 10-06-2012 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGlock23 (Post 19490993)
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution

It's not too late, but there's no reason to wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGlock23 (Post 19490993)
beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood

Around this forum, and by creationists in general, yes it is. If you think or claim that evolution claims that humans evolved from monkeys or modern apes or that we are the result of blind luck, then you misunderstand or misrepresent evolution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGlock23 (Post 19490993)
I'm just too dumb to comprehend it.

I don't think this is the problem.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGlock23 (Post 19490993)
Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.

This is clearly not the answer. More likely is that you allow yourself to be blinded by religious dogma when you perceive evidence contradicting your interpretation of scripture.

Given that there is evidence from:
  • the fossil record
  • DNA
  • embryology
  • microbiology
  • biogeography
  • ...
Is there any actual evidence that you would care to present in your support of the "lie" claim?

-ArtificialGrape

muscogee 10-06-2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGlock23 (Post 19490993)
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.

Do you realize every generation since the crucifixion of Jesus thought it would be to one to see his return? He's still not here.

G23Gen4TX 10-06-2012 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscogee (Post 19491386)
Do you realize every generation since the crucifixion of Jesus thought it would be to one to see his return? He's still not here.

Did you check the website in his signature?

If a monkey from the past travels in time and comes to tell him they are related he will still tell him Yehoshua is on the way. He is just stuck in traffic.

Geko45 10-06-2012 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape (Post 19491273)
Is there any actual evidence that you would care to present in your support of the "lie" claim?

The key to understanding his statement is the word "discernment". When christians use this word they are not talking about the application of logic to come to a reasonable conclusion. What they mean is that they are applying biblical dogma to "discern" what is "holy" from what is "unholy". When you hear a christian use this word then you can forget about reasoning with them any further. You may as well argue with a brick wall.

muscogee 10-06-2012 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by G23Gen4TX (Post 19491517)
Did you check the website in his signature?

If a monkey from the past travels in time and comes to tell him they are related he will still tell him Yehoshua is on the way. He is just stuck in traffic.

His sig is what I was responding to. Every generations thinks it will be the one. They're always wrong. Jesus said the people hearing him talk would live to see his return. Then the Church added the Millennial reign to give them until 1000 AD. That came and went and nothing happened. Then the New World was discovered (by the Europeans) and the Church decided the world wouldn't end until the American Indians had heard the Word of Christ. That has happened and the Jesus still hasn't come back. They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.

Geko45 10-06-2012 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscogee (Post 19492288)
They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.

The latest interpretation is that the generation jesus spoke of was the one that saw the rebirth of Israel in 1948. My dad, an otherwise reasonable man, is convinced the rapture will occur in his lifetime because of this. It's a totally unsupported and absurd notion, but I don't challenge him on it as I love him very much and realize he won't be around forever.

ArtificialGrape 10-06-2012 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGlock23 (Post 19490993)
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape (Post 19491273)
Is there any actual evidence that you would care to present in your support of the "lie" claim?

I almost forgot, perhaps you would care to direct us back to The Manifester (of zzith fame) explaining Lattilution vs. Evolution

-ArtificialGrape

muscogee 10-06-2012 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geko45 (Post 19492340)
The latest interpretation is that the generation jesus spoke of was the one that saw the rebirth of Israel in 1948. My dad, an otherwise reasonable man, is convinced the rapture will occur in his lifetime because of this. It's a totally unsupported and absurd notion, but I don't challenge him on it as I love him very much and realize he won't be around forever.

I know what you mean. I don't discuss religion with my family. I have to lie to them or upset them.

G23Gen4TX 10-06-2012 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscogee (Post 19492288)
His sig is what I was responding to. Every generations thinks it will be the one. They're always wrong. Jesus said the people hearing him talk would live to see his return. Then the Church added the Millennial reign to give them until 1000 AD. That came and went and nothing happened. Then the New World was discovered (by the Europeans) and the Church decided the world wouldn't end until the American Indians had heard the Word of Christ. That has happened and the Jesus still hasn't come back. They're currently twisting in the wind, but I have no doubt some of them will find something to excuse the obvious. It's highly unlikely Jesus is going to come back.

And I didn't even knew what the rapture is until I came to this country.

Well, Jeebus wasn't taking me anyways.

Woofie 10-07-2012 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGlock23 (Post 19490993)
When I grow up I want to finally figure out evolution, beings how it's so misrepresented and misunderstood, I'm just too dumb to comprehend it. Or maybe it's that I've got the discernment to know a lie when I see it.

Such an ironic statement.

Why not actually learn about the theory before you claim it is a lie? AG wrote a good primer on this sub forum to get you started.

Geko45 10-07-2012 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCoulter (Post 19490510)
This should help explain it. http://cbcg.org/twobabylons.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape (Post 19490630)
I need you to help me out. What does your link have to do with how evolution is misunderstood or misrepresented around here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCoulter (Post 19490730)
Have you read the book?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape (Post 19490975)
No, but my time is valuable, and while I've read a number of the articles that you've presented, I'm not likely to read this without even a hint to its relevance.

Why don't you distill the best 2 or 3 points for us.

The book appears to be a criticism of the catholic church. It draws repeated analogies between it and the ancient Babylonians which are assumed (although not proved) to be corrupt by the author. It further makes the claim that the modern day catholic church is actually a direct continuation of the ancient Babylonian system in some way. The author's central thesis being that catholics aren't really christians.

I'm not fan of the catholic church (or any church for that matter), but what this has to do with the topic of the thread is a mystery to me. If there is a chapter that deals with the issue of evolution then I couldn't find it.

JBnTX 10-07-2012 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscogee (Post 19491386)
Do you realize every generation since the crucifixion of Jesus thought it would be to one to see his return? He's still not here.

You're misunderstanding the term "generation".
It doesn't mean a human life span.

Our present "generation" began with Adam and will end in the Book of Revelations.

That's what Jesus was referring to when he said, "this generation will by no means pass away until it sees the coming of the Son of Man".

Guys like you are totally lost in the details of the Bible and fail to see the true message it contains.

If you imagine evolution as the foundation and then overlay it with the creation theory, you'd realize that's there's plenty of room for both.

God has created man and inserted him into the evolution process at different intervals of time. Man has not and never will "evolve", yet he exists in the evolution process.

Geko45 10-07-2012 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19493728)
Our present "generation" began with Adam and will end in the Book of Revelations.

That's what Jesus was referring to when he said, "this generation will by no means pass away until it sees the coming of the Son of Man".

Guys like you are totally lost in the details of the Bible and fail to see the true message it contains.

More "discernment" being used in the place of logic and basic reading comprehension.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.