Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What a stupid thing to do... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446449)

CigarandScotch 10-06-2012 09:35

What a stupid thing to do...

A friend of mine, bless his heart, is nice as can be...but is as dumb as a post. He posted on facebook that he and his girlfriend were on their way to their concealed carry class!:rofl:

I sent him a private message advising him against it (told him "concealed means concealed!"), but since he was on his phone rather than at a PC, he had no way to delete it. As I said, he is a super nice guy, but he is always doing things that cause me to shake my head in disbelief...

Yankee2718 10-06-2012 09:38

People make too big of a deal about the concealed means concealed. I think it makes them feel like James Bond. Some people are so paranoid that they won't tell their wife they carry. I think those people need some serious help.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CigarandScotch 10-06-2012 09:41

I don't take it quite that far. But I do take it more seriously than he does, obviously. I think announcing it on a social media website is irresponsible. Might as well wear an "I carry badge" and put a bumper sticker on your car.

Gun Shark 10-06-2012 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee2718 (Post 19490662)
People make too big of a deal about the concealed means concealed. I think it makes them feel like James Bond. Some people are so paranoid that they won't tell their wife they carry. I think those people need some serious help.

There is a difference between telling your wife and family... and telling the whole world on Facebook.

I try to minimize the people I tell because, I don't want questions out in public or to have the talk(no mention of it in public), and it really isn't someone's business. I am not uptight about it. I just would rather less people know.

caponec2 10-06-2012 09:46

what if youre an leo and pretty much everyone that knows you, can pretty much assume youre armed at all times?

CigarandScotch 10-06-2012 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gun Shark (Post 19490681)
There is a difference between telling your wife and family... and telling the whole world on Facebook.

I try to minimize the people I tell because, I don't want questions out in public or to have the talk(no mention of it in public), and it really isn't someone's business. I am not uptight about it. I just would rather less people know.

Well said, that is my position as well. This guy is new to shooting, and is still in the honeymoon phase of gun ownership. I think he is receptive to advice that I and other friends give him...to a point.

jbailey8 10-06-2012 09:51

My wife was getting her hair done yesterday and, as I sat waiting, I heard her tell the hair dresser that she had to buy a new purse big enough to carry her gun. "My husband bought me my first gun the other so I can carry it everyday like he does."
Talk about an awkward situation. The lady's face got serious quick. I just laughed it off.

jeepinbandit 10-06-2012 10:23

I don't care anymore. If someone I know asks me about it I'll tell them straight if I'm carrying or not, I have no reason to hide that I own and carry firearms.

professorpinki 10-06-2012 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gun Shark (Post 19490681)

You may want to update your privacy settings if that's the case, or consider who you "friend".

Mas Ayoob's probably the biggest proponent of "concealed means concealed," but it's easily ascertainable that he carries a concealed weapon, for whatever that's worth.

Gun Shark 10-06-2012 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by professorpinki (Post 19490792)
You may want to update your privacy settings if that's the case, or consider who you "friend".

Mas Ayoob's probably the biggest proponent of "concealed means concealed," but it's easily ascertainable that he carries a concealed weapon, for whatever that's worth.

There are people whom I trust with that information and people that I don't. I would rather not post on a public social media site such as facebook/twitter or similar sites, that I carry a gun. and even if I trusted everyone on my Facebook with that information, it is still none of their business.

If I want someone to know that I carry, I will tell them personally.

SouthpawG26 10-06-2012 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarandScotch (Post 19490650)
A friend of mine, bless his heart, is nice as can be...but is as dumb as a post. He posted on facebook that he and his girlfriend were on their way to their concealed carry class ...

"Correction, my girlfriend and I are NOT going to cc class!":rofl:

boomhower 10-06-2012 13:11

I think it was dumber to announce his house was empty and ripe for breaking into than announcing where he was going.

TheExplorer 10-06-2012 13:21

Reminds me of a story my (paranoid, multiple guns) instructor told us. He was shopping in a store when one of his students walked over and loudly asked if he had his gun on him.

ballr4lyf 10-06-2012 14:46

I can understand both sides of this argument.

1. Concealed means concealed, so don't broadcast it to the world.

2. Saying "I'm going to concealed carry class" is a lot different from saying "I'm strapped every time you see me". In fact, saying you're going to concealed carry class may just invite other friends of yours to look into taking a class too. Also, taking the class is just one of several steps you usually have to complete before you can get your CCW.

glockandgroovin' 10-06-2012 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 (Post 19491159)
"Correction, my girlfriend and I are NOT going to cc class!":rofl:

Nice.

CanMan 10-06-2012 15:18

facebook aka faceplant

Bruce M 10-06-2012 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomhower (Post 19491178)
I think it was dumber to announce his house was empty and ripe for breaking into than announcing where he was going.

:agree:

porschedog 10-06-2012 15:32

There should be just two ways for folks to know you are carrying
One: you tell them
Two: you show them

Posting it on FaceTube is really a dumb idea

I don't tell people I am carrying, as they have no need to know. Those who also carry would say "so?" those who would be horrified by that knowledge are spared.

(yes I know the correct name is FaceBook, but I prefer my version)

willy1094 10-06-2012 18:02

People share WAY too much in general on facebook. "I'm going on a two week vaction that starts Saturday!" :faint: Photos with you and your gun(s) is just as bad of an idea. Facebook should be set as private as you can. I've quit using facebook for anything more than private messages to hard to reach (or not so close) friends.

concretefuzzynuts 10-06-2012 18:12

I'm not into Facebook and have no interest in it.

Some of my close friends don't know I carry, some do. I got in a discussion about guns with a friend once. He works in a bad neighborhood and I commented on the idea of carrying. "Like this?", he said and showed me his 1911. "Yup", I said and showed him my LCR from my pocket.

It shows you that neither of us knew each other was carrying.

porschedog 10-06-2012 19:27

I think Facebook is great... If you are a 13 year old girl. I'm not, so it doesn't do much for me
I certainly would not use it to broadcast that I own, use and carry a gun, nor let folks know when I'm away from home (which is when the pack of wolf hybrids are guarding my dachshunds)

Adams454 10-06-2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinbandit (Post 19490773)
I don't care anymore. If someone I know asks me about it I'll tell them straight if I'm carrying or not, I have no reason to hide that I own and carry firearms.

That's pretty much how I am. It's so normal among my friends and family that I wouldn't even give the discussion a second thought. I post range pics and videos on fb all the time.

maximus1079 10-06-2012 19:59

I'm from Boston......the more people who know you carry the bigger the bullseye on your back from every gangbanger and his grandma that want a piece of your "piece"!!!

Manofprint 10-06-2012 20:08

OMG you mean people carry guns fo REAL:wow:

DaneA 10-06-2012 22:39

You know, maybe by his posting someone else got interested in carrying and shooting sports and our fight gained one more soldier. Stop being so darned paranoid about people knowing if you are carrying.

Most people that know me know that my wife and I are armed. If they ask about it I offer to take them to the range and introduce them to firearms. I encourage folks to get involved and enjoy the hobby. That is the only way we will overcome the antigun folks.

Concealed does mean concealed. But to me that means that every joe walking by me doesn't know I'm carrying, not that my friends don't know.