Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Nightmare in Ohio (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446650)

fowl intent 10-07-2012 15:11

Nightmare in Ohio

So, I have a good friend who went to Ohio for a week of deer hunting. Being a good ole NC boy, he took his handgun along with him. Well, he got stopped for speeding, and I'm not sure how or why this came up, but he volunteered that he had a handgun in the car. Turns out that it is a felony to carry a loaded handgun in Ohio, or at least that is what his hunting buddy relayed to me. Unfortunately he will have to spend the weekend in jail because he has to appear before a judge to have a bond set. This guy is in his 50's and has never seen the inside of a jail before this incident.

This started me thinking how careful you have to be when you travel from one state to another. Does anybody know if in fact it is a felony to carry a loaded handgun in Ohio? What if there was not a round in the chamber (of a semi-auto)? I assume that having a concealed carry permit from NC would not have changed the situation. It sure would be nice to have some sort of reciprocity between the states, so as not to have to deal with all of the quirky laws of different states.

Anybody else with a horror story to tell?

Jonesee 10-07-2012 15:23

2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

And. When I carry in a car, the gun is unloaded and packed in a case.

RonS 10-07-2012 15:30

Darned shame about your friend, hope he gets off with something less than a felony due to past lack of record etc.

Yeah, Ohio has shall issue CCH and no registration etc but carrying in your car is a big no no. Empty, unloaded and ammo apart IIRC unless you are a CCH holder. And then announce that you are at first contact, don't handle unless directed.

686Owner 10-07-2012 15:30

I would start here http://www.handgunlaw.us

Hamilton Burger 10-07-2012 15:32

Know the carry and hunting laws in your own and any other state you may be carrying/hunting in. There are out-of-state CC permits (FL and UT among others) recognized in multi states, but car carry is even more highly restricted in some states. Laws for carrying when hunting will be covered in the hunting regs book you can get where they sell hunting licenses.

Quote:

It sure would be nice to have some sort of reciprocity between the states, so as not to have to deal with all of the quirky laws of different states.
Until the perfect world arrives, with the right comes the responsibilty, and in your friend's case it was his responsibilty and nobody elses. Sorry I can't work up much sympathy :dunno:

Reissman 10-07-2012 15:35

Previous post answers my question

G29Reload 10-07-2012 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesee (Post 19494588)
2 Points:

I have hunted all my life and have never seen a reason to carry a handgun in the woods or back country. Sure sign of someone who is uncomfortable there or just trying to play make believe.

Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe. :upeyes:

Quote:

Then you're not carrying, you're just transporting.

And a carjacker's dream.:shocked:

Hef 10-07-2012 15:42

I have a SC CWP and I can legally carry in OH due to reciprocity. I may be mistaken but I thought NC had such an agreement as well. Does he have a NC permit?

Upgrayedd 10-07-2012 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hef (Post 19494648)
I have a SC CWP and I can legally carry in OH due to reciprocity. I may be mistaken but I thought NC had such an agreement as well. Does he have a NC permit?

OH and NC have reciprocity. I know because I'm from OH and went on vacation in western NC last month. The laws are stupid but your buddy should have his permit if he's going to carry.

I'm not sure you can call this a nightmare. Try to look at it from the officer's point of view. You have to be an idiot to try speeding in OH. Loaded handgun + no permit = felony around here.

ignantmike 10-07-2012 16:06

i'm sure he has no ccw permit.....

Hamilton Burger 10-07-2012 16:09

Niether here nor there, but in California where the gun laws are at their craziest IIRC...

As far as travelling, they want unloaded handguns in a locked container within the trunk or other inaccessible location. Outside the vehicle open carry of an unloaded (empty chambers, no magazines) handgun is allowed, while a loaded handgun may be carried by a sportsman actively engaged in fishing or hunting, or while going to and/or coming back from fishing or hunting. :headscratch:

tsmo1066 10-07-2012 16:17

Quote:

2 Points:

I'm not sure where you spend time in the wilderness, but in South Texas it's generally a stupid idea NOT to be carrying a hangun when in the hinterlands - not because of the wildlife, but because of the drug traffickers and "coyotes" that run illegals through many such remote tracts of land.

Used to be that the illegals kept to themselves and were no problem, even when encountered. In the last two decades, however, gangs like MS13 have gotten deeply involved in the "coyote" racket of shepherding illegals and encounters with those guys can get dicey.

That being said, always know the gun laws in the area where you will be carrying as well as the areas you will be driving through to get there.

raven11 10-07-2012 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowl intent (Post 19494546)

Anybody else with a horror story to tell?

Not really a horror story but when I went through pre-deployment training I felt the urge to own a M9 so I went down to the local gunshop and filled out all the paperwork, until he found out I was 19 so I couldn't own a pistol

Man did I feel bad I thought I was going to get reported to the police for sure

Jonesee 10-07-2012 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by G29Reload (Post 19494635)
Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe. :

When you are hunting, you are already carrying a weapon.

You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot you have been in and out of the area 30 times before scouting and setting up.

Been hunting much?

I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods. (i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.

Carry a pistol while scouting before season in some parts of the country I can understand. Carrying a long gun pre-season may get you written up. But during season? Never.

ede 10-07-2012 16:39

From SE Ohio and I wouldn't go in the woods unarmed. Between dogs, dope growers, meth labs and the other normal stuff you might run into having a firearm or two is a good thing.

boomhower 10-07-2012 16:42

I certainly feel for your buddy but he put himself in the spot he's in. He was carrying a concealed gun without a permit. That's in big no no in most states. He knew that was illegal, he took the chance and got busted. Now he probably didn't figure it was a felony, I sure wouldn't have but still not worth the risk. He should have gotten his permit as NC permits are honored in Ohio. He needs to get a good lawyer and hope one of two things. Either he gets a nice plea deal down to a misdemeanor or there was something wrong with the stop and/or search.

I can certainly understand him wanting a handgun in the woods. The part I'm from is full of meth labs. He just needs to make sure he's doing it right.

LASTRESORT20 10-07-2012 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by G29Reload (Post 19494635)
Nonsense. Unless you beleive in fairy tales or that nothing ever happens in the woods and you don't have to worry about bears, or feral dogs, or stumbling over someones meth lab, then yeah, the woods are perfectly safe. :upeyes:

Then you're not carrying, you're just transporting.

And a carjacker's dream.:shocked:

Amen brother!

Reissman 10-07-2012 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesee (Post 19494808)
When you are hunting, you are already carrying a weapon.

You go in before sunrise and unless you are an idiot you have been in and out of the area 30 times before scouting and setting up.

Been hunting much?

I've hunted all over the country thanks to moving all over. Every place I have ever hunted and the men and boys I have hunted with would be laughing behind your back if you packed a pistol to head into the woods. (i admit to not hunting Alaska yet) maybe that is just me and my almost 50 years hunting. But that is the way I see it.

Carry a pistol while scouting before season in some parts of the country I can understand. Carrying a long gun pre-season may get you written up. But during season? Never.

Bet those hunters that got killed in WI a couple years ago wish they had a handgun.

bmoore 10-07-2012 17:02

Quote:

2 Points:

Complete hogwash, are you really serious? When I am hiked in 3 miles into mt lion country blowing a distress handcall for coyote I want my G20 10mm when Mr. Tom crawls up my back, not a bolt 22-250 with a 22" barrel to try to swing around.

bkkd 10-07-2012 17:16

Quote:

2 Points:

Kentucky just passed a law allowing you to carry a handgun when hunting or fishing, even when bowhunting you can carry a firearm......hmmmmm wonder why?

Jonesee 10-07-2012 17:18

Sorry guys. I believe what I believe.

You guys go in there with your 12" elephant skinner knives and black weapons and hand guns strapped to your leg. You will feel safe and I will laugh at you. And, we will both be tickled.

Been hunting alone since I was 9. I never once felt the need for a hand gun too. neither did my grandad, my dad and now my 3 grown sons. I've never hunted with a serious hunter that carried one either.
Again, I have hunted the plains, southern US and the Rockies. I've never hunted Alaska where it may be wise.

But to each his own.

Pawcatch@aol.co 10-07-2012 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesee (Post 19494962)
Sorry guys. I believe what I believe.

You guys go in there with your 12" elephant skinner knives and black weapons and hand guns strapped to your leg. You will feel safe and I will laugh at you. And, we will both be tickled.

Been hunting alone since I was 9. I never once felt the need for a hand gun too. neither did my grandad, my dad and now my 3 grown sons. I've never hunted with a serious hunter that carried one either.
Again, I have hunted the plains, southern US and the Rockies. I've never hunted Alaska where it may be wise.

But to each his own.

What about people who hunt with handguns?Like Larry Weishuhn.

TheExplorer 10-07-2012 17:34

It is unfortunate, but you must be responsible when traveling to different states. As posted, the handgun site is like the bible for me.

Hef 10-07-2012 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheExplorer (Post 19495003)
It is unfortunate, but you must be responsible when traveling to different states. As posted, the handgun site is like the bible for me.

Yes. Ignorance of the law does not excuse one from it.

alwaysshootin 10-07-2012 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoore (Post 19494910)
Complete hogwash, are you really serious? When I am hiked in 3 miles into mt lion country blowing a distress handcall for coyote I want my G20 10mm when Mr. Tom crawls up my back, not a bolt 22-250 with a 22" barrel to try to swing around.

Lets just hope, the one that laughs, at those, who feel it's necessary to always carry, is the one who wishes he had a carry! That way we, may have a giggle, and laugh, behind his back.:rofl: :rofl::rofl: