Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Fail Zero BCG, opinions? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446836)

Cole125 10-08-2012 18:50

Fail Zero BCG, opinions?

Fellows, just wanted to get your opinions on the Fail Zero BCG.

Thinking about getting one for my next build, are they worth the money?

Anyone have one? Comments, ect.

http://www.failzero.com/armory/ar-15.html

mjkeat 10-08-2012 19:02

Purchase ammunition and a DD or BCM BCG.

cowboy1964 10-08-2012 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 19498454)

+1 on that.

boomhower 10-08-2012 19:08

I bought one and absolutely love. My rifle has never seen a drop of lube and clean up is a snap. Every rifle from here on out will have an NiB coated BCG. WMD will coat your existing BCG for $100.

Is it needed? Absolutely not. Is it worth the money? Probably not but to me it certainly is. A $100 is not a ton of money. It's a little extra measure of reliability and makes cleaning faster. That's worth a $100 to me.

GEN3 10-08-2012 19:18

I'm sticking with my BCM

mixflip 10-08-2012 21:38

I have one on my short list after I buy my Streamlight ProTac HL 600 lumen light for my Colt M4. I want to test the "little to no lube" claim.

So far I hear good things.

Cole125 10-08-2012 23:02

Thanks for the input everyone. What about the Spikes Tactical nickel boron BCG? It seems to have much better ratings and reviews? Anyone have this?

faawrenchbndr 10-09-2012 02:26

A friend has the Spikes bcg.
He likes it. Less lube, easier cleanup.

A standard bcg works just fine for me.

K. Foster 10-09-2012 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 19498454)

Nailed it.

jeepinbandit 10-09-2012 10:57

Agree with the ammo part. They are neat and very easy to clean but I'm not sure they are worth an extra 130 dollars over a BCM or DD MPI bolt/carrier.

Hour13 10-09-2012 19:39

I get the appeal of of a "minimal lube" rig. But here's the thing about the Bravo Co bcg. It just flat-out frikin works. It is consistent. I've used that bcg in many, MANY builds, and each one is IDENTICAL in fit & finish, and each one flings brass in the same exact pattern, straight into the next county.

And for the price, I could throw in a few more dollars, and get two of the BCM bits.

Thus creating a dire need to build another AR around it.
:supergrin:

"Babe, look, I've already got the most important part sitting here. Just need an upper, a lower, stock, Aimpoint..."

Cole125 10-09-2012 19:40

Anyone know what the deal is with Spikes nickel boron BCGs? I cannot find them in stock anywhere, did Spikes stop producing them?

Cole125 10-09-2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hour13 (Post 19502084)
I get the appeal of of a "minimal lube" rig. But here's the thing about the Bravo Co bcg. It just flat-out frikin works. It is consistent. I've used that bcg in many, MANY builds, and each one is IDENTICAL in fit & finish, and each one flings brass in the same exact pattern, straight into the next county.

I've got two BCM BCGs and no complaints. I just thought it would be cool to have something different, add a little bling to my next build. :cool:

Hour13 10-09-2012 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole125 (Post 19502093)
I've got two BCM BCGs and no complaints. I just thought it would be cool to have something different, add a little bling to my next build. :cool:

Lol, awesome.
:cheers:

If you do, definitely let us know how she runs!

:wavey:

faawrenchbndr 10-10-2012 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole125 (Post 19502085)
Anyone know what the deal is with Spikes nickel boron BCGs? I cannot find them in stock anywhere, did Spikes stop producing them?

Just like getting a BCM,......good parts are hard to keep in stock.
Get one on back order & wait. :supergrin:

Cole125 10-10-2012 18:24

Well just ordered a Daniel Defense chrome BCG from Brownells! In stock too!!!!

TactiCool 10-10-2012 19:34

I don't know, maybe its just me, but I really do not want a critical component in my gun to start with the name "FAIL." That is all.

Cole125 10-10-2012 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TactiCool (Post 19505328)
I don't know, maybe its just me, but I really do not want a critical component in my gun to start with the name "FAIL." That is all.

Yeah I read some marginal reviews about them and decided to go with a DD chrome BCG group. They do need lube, but you get easier cleaning, and the cool looks.

Big Bird 10-10-2012 19:45

I've gotten and still have bolt carriers with no MPI markings. No shot peening. etc etc. They run fine and I'll put em up against anything out there. I've got a BCM chrome plated bolt with a plane bolt carrier made back when BCM was a new company and its not got any of the GI spec bullcrap about it and it has several thousand rounds under its belt. I've also got, CMT bolts, LMT enhanced bolts, and I just bought a Nickle Boron coated bolt by Fail Zero. I got it because I wanted an easy to clean bolt and also because the dealer couldn't move it because it wasn't a full auto bolt carrier--it was the AR 15 carrier and nobody wanted it. So I told him to make me a deal as he really wanted to get it off the shelf and I picked it up for $180. I could give a crap about a full auto bolt carrier. Doesn't mean anything in semi-automatic rifle. That 1/2 ounce of metal difference doesn't do squat for the rifle.

So here's my EXPERIENCE with the nickle boron coated bolt based on owing a half a dozen other garden variety and enhanced bolts. First, it functioned flawlessly in a new build I completed last week through the first 150 rounds. Second, it headspaced correctly in a PSA barrel I installed in the gun--checked it with a USGI Field Guage. Third, I can't believe how easily the thing cleans up. All the other bolts I own--even the LMT enhanced bolts, get cruddy and gunked up with carbon and it takes some scraping to clean them off. The Nickle Boron bolt will literally wipe clean with a rag.

I like it. It makes cleaning a breeze. Its also the slickest bolt I've got in any of my guns including some with a couple of thousand rounds down the tube.

I'll need more trigger time with this BCG to give it my full endorsement but its a winner for me so far! If I was looking to trick out my AR this wouldn't be the first thing I'd spend money on--without exception I'm sticking a Giessele SSA trigger in the gun first. Then will consider other upgrades. But it would be up there on the list based on what I've seen so far.

Cole125 10-10-2012 19:50

Yeah the mall ninjas think you need a full auto BCG in a semi auto rifle. :rofl: Glad you like it, and if you shoot a lot the easy cleaning makes it well worth the price.