Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cop Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Divorce (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446898)

frizz 10-09-2012 07:06

Divorce

I'm not going to throw my personal details out, but this may be in my near future.

A lot of it depends on how a conversation I'll be having with her today goes. I don't want this, but there are some things that just can't work.

This is a big part of why I've been jerky (or extra jerky) as of late. No excuse, but please consider it.

FiremanMike 10-09-2012 08:55

Very sorry to hear that. Just remember, in sickness and in health, good times and bad.. You should fight to your core for your marriage. Not judging, just trying to encourage you.

Glock30Eric 10-09-2012 09:03

Divorce is not worth it. Try save your marriage and have both parties to give their shares into the marriage.

scccdoc 10-09-2012 09:21

I was divorced about 8 years ago, though I begged my wife to understand our differences and work on them including counseling. She was content with our "separate" lives while we were married, I wasn't. I divorced her. After 3 years, we came to an understanding and we have been remarried for 5 years now. Do everything in your power to stay married, in the end there is less pain.As my father used to say "It takes two to make a bargain" I wish you the best.............DOC

rockapede 10-09-2012 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by frizz (Post 19499894)
I'm not going to throw my personal details out, but this may be in my near future.

A lot of it depends on how a conversation I'll be having with her today goes. I don't want this, but there are some things that just can't work.

This is a big part of why I've been jerky (or extra jerky) as of late. No excuse, but please consider it.

Maybe log out from here and "log in" at home?

PaulMason 10-09-2012 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by frizz (Post 19499894)

Children?

What are the big issues/stumbling blocks to getting out?

Short answer- marriage isn't a suicide pact - get it over and done with ASAP and out of your life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Don't let it fester, it only gets worse.

PrecisionRifleman 10-09-2012 09:40

Its cheaper to keep them. Make it work. If no kids are involved and its just not working, and you were wise enough to get a prenup. then end it. Run a cost benefit analysis and then you will know your options.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Chesafreak 10-09-2012 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman (Post 19500380)
Its cheaper to keep them.

Not in every case. Even after paying child support and alimony, I have hundreds left over after bills every month. When I was married, I was broke just days after every payday and we bounced checks just before payday as well. I survived 21 years of that before I threw in the towel.

frizz 10-09-2012 10:07

Thank you all for the kind words of support. I have had one divorce, and it nearly killed me.

I do want to save this. We have no kids, and we met and married in our 30s.

jeepinbandit 10-09-2012 10:36

I was married once. Screw that noise I've never been happier and will not be getting married again.

Grab ahold of that yellow and black loop and pull my friend.

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/P...wkseattest.jpg

frizz 10-09-2012 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinbandit (Post 19500543)
I was married once. Screw that noise I've never been happier and will not be getting married again.

Grab ahold of that yellow and black loop and pull my friend.

To each his own. Don't forget that ejection seats usually cause injuries. Even the best outcomes leave the aviator about an inch shorter!

frizz 10-09-2012 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockapede (Post 19500345)
Maybe log out from here and "log in" at home?

Astute observation, but it is actually the other way around.

PaulMason 10-09-2012 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by frizz (Post 19500565)
To each his own. Don't forget that ejection seats usually cause injuries. Even the best outcomes leave the aviator about an inch shorter!

Certain death (stay in the plane) versus a chance for life and happiness?

Gee, let me think about that one.

frizz 10-09-2012 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMason (Post 19500591)
Certain death (stay in the plane) versus a chance for life and happiness?

Gee, let me think about that one.

Let me clarify. Ejection has its own risks, so you have to weigh the options. By way of metaphor, my engine is wonky, and an airport is in range. My rudder and elevators aren't jammed from a SAM hit.

Beware Owner 10-09-2012 11:25

Sometimes separation makes the decision easier to come about to.

scccdoc 10-09-2012 11:29

Growing old by myself is not very appealing. Besides, who's gonna feed the cat? DOC

collim1 10-09-2012 13:51

I have a co-worker and close friend in the same boat. They have two small children and an a teenage step-daughter. They are both good people, just cant work it out. Neither one could afford the home they live in on ther individual salary, and my buddy would be beaten to death on child support and alimony.

I am begging him to stick it out, but he is ready to give up.

Luckily me and my wife have a good relationship despite the job. I was doing this when we met so we didn't have the stress of a career change into LE.

PaulMason 10-09-2012 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by scccdoc (Post 19500698)
Growing old by myself is not very appealing. Besides, who's gonna feed the cat? DOC

Get a Monkey.

http://urngarden.com/images/blog/monkey.jpg

PaulMason 10-09-2012 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by frizz (Post 19500620)
Let me clarify. Ejection has its own risks, so you have to weigh the options. By way of metaphor, my engine is wonky, and an airport is in range. My rudder and elevators aren't jammed from a SAM hit.

OK. I still say, eject and don't get in another plane.

More then 50% of first marriages end in divorce.

Second marriage 60%

http://www.divorcerate.org/

Beware Owner 10-09-2012 14:10

Try separating for a little bit, it helps.