Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   1911 Forums (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   How much does an idiot mark reduce value. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447110)

Climbhard 10-10-2012 11:21

How much does an idiot mark reduce value.
 
So if you're considering the purchase of a blue Les Baer and its what you're looking for in other ways but it has an idiot mark, how much $$ would you reduce or take of the resale value?

wrx04 10-10-2012 12:07

None, IMO. If you are looking for a great gun to shoot, buy it. If you want something pretty, find one without the mark or buy new.

As long as the gun was taken care of and not abused, i dont see it as a problem at all. If you shoot/carry the gun, it will get banged up a little. Gives it character. Buy it and dont look back....great pistols.

R0CKETMAN 10-10-2012 17:17

Depends on the buyer. For me if I'm not re-finishing I would pass on all with an idiot mark.

Drilled 10-10-2012 17:21

You talking major idiot mark like a gouge?

Rounds through the gun?

How many owners?

Les makes a great gun.

Was it a carry gun?

faawrenchbndr 10-10-2012 17:28

Idiot marks on a blued pistol will lower the price I am willing to
pay by around $300 about $150 on a stainless pistol.

TxGun 10-10-2012 17:40

It's definitely going to lower the value to me. How much depends on a few variables. And, like wrench said, more on a blued gun, less on stainless. I may be a little more forgiving, so I'm going to say my low-high parameters are $50 on stainless if I think I can polish it out myself...about $150 on a blued gun if I think I'm going to have to have the frame refinished. If it's gouged enough, I'm walking away. Also, an idiot may have done something else to the gun of which the scratch is only the most obvious indication, so give it a close look. That said, a Baer is a Baer and if the price is reasonable for overall condition, you have to give it a lot of consideration.

3rdgen40 10-10-2012 18:16

A 1911 with an "idiot scratch" makes me wonder if the internals have been jacked with by someone that can't put the slide stop back in without gouging the frame.

wrx04 10-10-2012 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 (Post 19505006)
A 1911 with an "idiot scratch" makes me wonder if the internals have been jacked with by someone that can't put the slide stop back in without gouging the frame.

I agree, however, i will say Baers bluing scratches easily and the guns are usually fit very tight. It doesnt necessarily take a hackjob to put an idiot scratch on one.

Personally, i prefer to buy new guns so i dont have to deal with problems that the previous owner caused. The original owner may have had an "oops" moment, or he couldve totally f'ed up the internals. My money is on the former in this instance, but that is the risk you take.

My opinion: Buy a new one exactly how you want it. It probably isnt that much more than a used one if you have the right source, and it guarantees someone hasnt messed up the internals.

bac1023 10-10-2012 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN (Post 19504817)
Depends on the buyer. For me if I'm not re-finishing I would pass on all with an idiot mark.

:agree:

Unless its something that I couldn't find another of, I'd pass.

dakrat 10-10-2012 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climbhard (Post 19503722)
So if you're considering the purchase of a blue Les Baer and its what you're looking for in other ways but it has an idiot mark, how much $$ would you reduce or take of the resale value?

as much as a new refinishing would cost. but only after a careful inspection of all internal parts. if he can't put the slide and frame together properly.... you know the rest

3rdgen40 10-10-2012 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrx04 (Post 19505051)
I agree, however, i will say Baers bluing scratches easily and the guns are usually fit very tight. It doesnt necessarily take a hackjob to put an idiot scratch on one.

I don't care how tight the gun is or how easy the blueing scratches.If you put an idiot scratch on it, you're a hack.When done correctly there is no reason to drag the slide stop on the frame to install it.

wrx04 10-10-2012 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 (Post 19505158)
I don't care how tight the gun is or how easy the blueing scratches.If you put an idiot scratch on it, you're a hack.When done correctly there is no reason to drag the slide stop on the frame to install it.

Disagree.

fnfalman 10-10-2012 19:33

Depends on how bad of a gouge. If it's just a surface scratch, I'll consider it typical wear & tear. More than that, I'd consider it as damage.

RetailNinja 10-10-2012 19:55

Since it's a Baer... I'd ask for $200 off to cover the cost of Bearcoat :)

GVFlyer 10-10-2012 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN (Post 19504817)
Depends on the buyer. For me if I'm not re-finishing I would pass on all with an idiot mark.

That's me as well.

faawrenchbndr 10-11-2012 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 (Post 19505158)
I don't care how tight the gun is or how easy the blueing scratches.If you put an idiot scratch on it, you're a hack.When done correctly there is no reason to drag the slide stop on the frame to install it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrx04 (Post 19505164)
Disagree.

I disagree with the disagreement.

faawrenchbndr 10-11-2012 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgen40 (Post 19505158)
I don't care how tight the gun is or how easy the blueing scratches.If you put an idiot scratch on it, you're a hack.When done correctly there is no reason to drag the slide stop on the frame to install it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrx04 (Post 19505164)
Disagree.

Does YOUR'S have an idiot mark?:whistling:

PhotoFeller 10-11-2012 03:48

If I'm gonna pay $1500+ for a pistol to be a shooter or a showpiece, I won't accept a prominent scratch of any kind. If the gun is priced to reflect the damage, like $1,200 for an otherwise $1,500 pistol, I'll give it serious consideration.

I wouldn't fret over a scratch on a low end pistol, like a RIA, just because there isn't that much money in the deal. Still, a price reduction would be necessary. By the way, I like my RIA 1911 a lot.

wrx04 10-11-2012 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr (Post 19506140)
Does YOUR'S have an idiot mark?:whistling:

:supergrin::whistling:

I have three 1911's and they all have thousands of rounds through them. I take care of my guns well, and maintain them properly. The Baer is the only one with the scratch, even though they have all been broken down and reassembled many times by the same hack-job......me. The Baer SS was fit very tight, and instead of taking my time, i rushed it......there is the scratch.

My point is that the guns function perfectly and are well taken care of despite the scratch. The internals are not screwed with. Im sure there are many other guns out there with similar stories.

Also, the Baer finish is very easy to scratch IMO. Look at the pics of my UTC and CQB.....they both have approximately the same number of rounds through them.

Goldendog Redux 10-11-2012 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climbhard (Post 19503722)
So if you're considering the purchase of a blue Les Baer and its what you're looking for in other ways but it has an idiot mark, how much $$ would you reduce or take of the resale value?

Depends on how much it costs. No one will get a premium price with an idiot mark. I would probably buy a gun with the mark but it would eat at my soul and embarrass me if someone checked out my gun.

MF


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:19.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.