Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Political Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Darden Restaurants dropping FT employees for PT, O-Care blamed (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447111)

G29Reload 10-10-2012 11:23

Darden Restaurants dropping FT employees for PT, O-Care blamed
 
Heard something the other day about this restaurant chain trying to get under limit on number of FT employees in order to avoid sanctions on healthcare related issues in the unaffordable care act. X number or more of FT employees dictates must provide certain kind of insurance or penalty invoked.

So, a bunch of people will have their hours cut to get under the limit, and/or new ones hired will only be PT.

Another way Obamao is destroying jobs. looking for a link now.

here we go:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-to-limit.html

wjv 10-10-2012 11:54

So people who are not making a whole lot of $$ to begin with, are going to have their hours cut to 29/week so that the company doesn't get hit with the Obama-Tax.

WA State has one of the highest minim wages at $9.04 per hour.

40 hours = $361 (and most restaurant workers put in more than 40)
29 hours = $262
a $99/week cut. . ($5,148) per year

So that means that most of these folks will end up having to get a second job to just stay even. . .

Obama. . Destroying America one job at a time. .

Guss 10-10-2012 12:00

You can't blame Obama for that - Greedy employers have been using that strategy for many years now to cut not only heath benefits, but other benefits as well. Eventually we'll close the loopholes.

JFrame 10-10-2012 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19503849)
Eventually we'll close the loopholes.

Yep -- they say that about gun laws also.


.

aircarver 10-10-2012 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19503849)
.... Eventually we'll close the loopholes.

Not if we toss your people out on their collective asses ! ... :supergrin:

.

rppnj 10-10-2012 12:29

Can you blame this guy?
 
CEO to workers..."If BHO is re-elected, I will have no choice but to fire you all and shut down my company."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49356069


Can you blame this guy...I don't...please read the WHOLE article before you comment. BTW...we're talking thousands of workers here.

JFrame 10-10-2012 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by rppnj (Post 19503942)
CEO to workers..."If BHO is re-elected, I will have no choice but to fire you all and shut down my company."


I guess that would be the ultimate closing of the loophole that Guss is so keen about. :upeyes:


.

countrygun 10-10-2012 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19503849)
You can't blame Obama for that - Greedy employers have been using that strategy for many years now to cut not only heath benefits, but other benefits as well. Eventually we'll close the loopholes.

Of course Gussy, the answer lies in even heavier Government regulation of the free market. It's the Fascist way. The Government control of everything.

what a marvelous drone you are

Chesafreak 10-10-2012 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19503849)
You can't blame Obama for that - Greedy employers have been using that strategy for many years now to cut not only heath benefits, but other benefits as well. Eventually we'll close the loopholes.

Greedy employers? Closing loopholes? You must have been drinking the Obama coolaid. Employers don't owe the employee a good wage to live on, nor do they owe us benefits. If the employee doesn't have the job skills to gain full-time employment with benefits, thats on them, not the employer. If someone doesn't want to get paid mininum wage for 29 hours a week flipping burgers or stocking shelves, then they need to be doing something about that, like doing better in school or learning a trade or skill. We are paid what we are worth to the employer, who has to maintain a healthy profit or make cuts to do so. We are not a socialist or communist country, although we are moving in that direction.

While some ping on Romney for sending jobs overseas, if I was faced with running a company and making a profit, I would send jobs overseas before I would pay a union forklift driver 92k/year. Yes, $92,000 a year for a union forklift driver. I have 5 years of college and 7 years of experience in I.T. in addition to 20 years in the military and don't make that much. How about greedy unions?

FFR Spyder GT 10-10-2012 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19503849)
You can't blame Obama for that - Greedy employers have been using that strategy for many years now to cut not only heath benefits, but other benefits as well. Eventually we'll close the loopholes.

WalMart has always done that.

My stepson works at WM and goes to college and he is consider a PT even though he works 38-40 hours a week.

They only schedule him for 28hrs per week but always have him to work over, come in early or work his day off but "officially" he is considered PT.

Guss 10-10-2012 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjv (Post 19503830)
...

WA State has one of the highest minim wages at $9.04 per hour.
.... .

And here's what it gets them:
http://www.ofm.wa.gov/trends/economy/fig101.asp

countrygun 10-10-2012 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19504081)

And what have Unions gotten for Detroit?

DOC44 10-10-2012 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19503849)
You can't blame Obama for that - Greedy employers have been using that strategy for many years now to cut not only heath benefits, but other benefits as well. Eventually we'll close the loopholes.


Here is the history of Darden and his business. Opened "The Green Frog" in Waycross GA at age 19 in 1938 and the first Red Lobster in the 60's. The original Green Frog was a great place to eat. Had a seafood platter that was fantastic. At there many times and knew a younger Bill.

THEY DID BUILD THAT BUSINESS.

http://www.darden.com/about/photo_history.asp

Doc44

OctoberRust 10-10-2012 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19503849)
You can't blame Obama for that - Greedy employers have been using that strategy for many years now to cut not only heath benefits, but other benefits as well. Eventually we'll close the loopholes.


Guss, what makes you feel entitled to someone's money or assets that they sacrificed part of their life to work hard for?

Do you really think punishing the business owner is going to benefit the employees? Only a fool would say yes to this.....

I see you mentioned minimum wage as well. That's another job killer. If the company couldn't justify the wage to begin with, they just cut the job. If the company can justify the cut they're taking from the mandate, they'll cut employees expenses in other areas - IE benefits.

Goaltender66 10-10-2012 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss (Post 19504081)

Actually, this is probably more appropos:

http://www.ofm.wa.gov/trends/economy/fig105.asp

:)

stevelyn 10-10-2012 13:37

If I were running a business, I'd be doing everything I could to avoid paying it.

OctoberRust 10-10-2012 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goaltender66 (Post 19504134)
Actually, this is probably more appropos:

http://www.ofm.wa.gov/trends/economy/fig105.asp

:)


GAH! Beat me to it! :rofl::rofl::rofl:


Thanks though. Saved me the time and effort. :rofl:

JFrame 10-10-2012 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OctoberRust (Post 19504133)
Guss, what makes you feel entitled to someone's money or assets that they sacrificed part of their life to work hard for?

Do you really think punishing the business owner is going to benefit the employees? Only a fool would say yes to this.....

I see you mentioned minimum wage as well. That's another job killer. If the company couldn't justify the wage to begin with, they just cut the job. If the company can justify the cut they're taking from the mandate, they'll cut employees expenses in other areas - IE benefits.


I simply find it hard to imagine the lock-step leftist mindset a person would need to not see the logic of that...

Vizzini's "Inconceivable!" from "The Princess Bride" comes to mind -- but we're seeing living evidence of that thinking here on this forum... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/facepalm.gif


.

FFR Spyder GT 10-10-2012 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesafreak (Post 19504018)
Greedy employers? Closing loopholes? You must have been drinking the Obama coolaid. Employers don't owe the employee a good wage to live on, nor do they owe us benefits. If the employee doesn't have the job skills to gain full-time employment with benefits, thats on them, not the employer. If someone doesn't want to get paid mininum wage for 29 hours a week flipping burgers or stocking shelves, then they need to be doing something about that, like doing better in school or learning a trade or skill. We are paid what we are worth to the employer, who has to maintain a healthy profit or make cuts to do so. We are not a socialist or communist country, although we are moving in that direction.

While some ping on Romney for sending jobs overseas, if I was faced with running a company and making a profit, I would send jobs overseas before I would pay a union forklift driver 92k/year. Yes, $92,000 a year for a union forklift driver. I have 5 years of college and 7 years of experience in I.T. in addition to 20 years in the military and don't make that much. How about greedy unions?

Chesafreak, since youre upset that a Union forklift driver makes more money than you do you need to be doing something about that, like doing better in school or learning a better trade or skill or getting better at what you do. You are paid what you are worth to the employer, who has to maintain a healthy profit or make cuts to do so, like your job and hiring someone for less money and no benefits that can do the job better.

Oh, BTW, who's the Union forklift driver that makes $92k a year?

Plus, quit whining about how much he makes because his employer must think he's worth that much. :tongueout:

Kablam 10-10-2012 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OctoberRust (Post 19504133)
Guss, what makes you feel entitled to someone's money or assets that they sacrificed part of their life to work hard for?

Do you really think punishing the business owner is going to benefit the employees? Only a fool would say yes to this.....

I see you mentioned minimum wage as well. That's another job killer. If the company couldn't justify the wage to begin with, they just cut the job. If the company can justify the cut they're taking from the mandate, they'll cut employees expenses in other areas - IE benefits.

It's hard to make that more clear. :thumbsup:

OctoberRust 10-10-2012 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kablam (Post 19504188)
It's hard to make that more clear. :thumbsup:


One more thing to add to everyone in this thread.


You are worth what you can convince your employer to pay you. Not a penny less, or a penny more.

Chesafreak 10-10-2012 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by FFR Spyder GT (Post 19504160)
Chesafreak, since youre upset that a Union forklift driver makes more money than you do you need to be doing something about that, like doing better in school or learning a better trade or skill or getting better at what you do. You are paid what you are worth to the employer, who has to maintain a healthy profit or make cuts to do so, like your job and hiring someone for less money and no benefits that can do the job better.

Oh, BTW, who's the Union forklift driver that makes $92k a year?

Plus, quit whining about how much he makes because his employer must think he's worth that much. :tongueout:

Stick to your day job, your attempt at comedy is pathetic. :yawn:

I'm not whining about what I get paid becuase I think its fair. And FYI, I am studying to gain more I.T. certifications so that I can continue to progress in my career field. I'm simply pointing out that employers don't owe employees anything, and that unions are part of the problem causing lost jobs.

The union forklift driver? Her employer does pay her what she's worth, as in nothing. She lost her job. I was watching a show (think it was 60 Minutes) about the economy and what people are having to do to get by after losing their job. One of the people interviewed was a lady that lost a $92,000 a year job as a union forklift driver. I have met people who made inflated wages and were members of the UAW union, only to lose their job and become hairstylists. Anything inflated must eventually bust or have a correction which is the case with sending jobs overseas to avoid unions or closing plants because you can't sustain a profit with rising costs including union pay scales.

IvanVic 10-10-2012 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by OctoberRust (Post 19504195)
One more thing to add to everyone in this thread.


You are worth what you can convince your employer to pay you. Not a penny less, or a penny more.

Not true, you are paid what the free market, competition driven economy dictates (the way it should be), it has nothing to do with convincing anybody of anything.

countrygun 10-10-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvanVic (Post 19504224)
Not true, you are paid what the free market, competition driven economy dictates (the way it should be), it has nothing to do with convincing anybody of anything.


I have about 35 years of experience that says you are wrong.

There is a continuum of value within the parameters of an economy, but "value" is relative to that. (to put it simply "How many loaves of bread can you buy, with your pay a week) Your position on that continuum is directly related, and should rightly be, is up to how valuable you make yourself to your employer and how many more loaves of bread you enable him to buy. You thereby increase your "value" to him.

Guss 10-10-2012 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OctoberRust (Post 19504133)
Guss, what makes you feel entitled to someone's money or assets that they sacrificed part of their life to work hard for?

....

Those restaurant laborers work hard, and I want to see them get paid for what they worked so hard and sacrificed for. There is no inherent fairness in the system unless management and labor have equal bargaining power. In the absence of that equal bargaining power, minimum wages are a good substitute.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.