Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reloading (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Question about Tula (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451635)

.45 guy 11-06-2012 20:51

Question about Tula

I was looking at Tulane small pistol primers. They were calling them boxer? What is that?

F106 Fan 11-06-2012 21:00

Boxer primers are the right ones. The other variation is the Berdan primer and that requires a different case because the anvil is part of the primer pocket. There are two flash holes in Berdan primed brass; at least the ones I have seen.

I realize the small pistol primers are in short supply and Tula seems to be the only thing available at Powder Valley. I am using Tula for .223 and, so far, I am not impressed with the quality. But they do go bang so maybe I should just suck it up!

Richard

.45 guy 11-06-2012 21:02

Thanks for the help

fredj338 11-06-2012 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by .45 guy (Post 19600410)
I was looking at Tulane small pistol primers. They were calling them boxer? What is that?

There are boxer & berdan primer types. They are not interchangeable. You do not see anything but boxer primers for sale here in the USA, although Berdan are available.
This is pretty basic reloading stuff, if you don't know this, you shouldn't even be close to a reloading setup.:whistling:Time to hit the books! If that sounds grumpy, well, I just watched stupid people re elect one of the most incompetent people ever to the most important position in the world.

CaptainXL 11-15-2012 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredj338 (Post 19601289)
There are boxer & berdan primer types. They are not interchangeable. You do not see anything but boxer primers for sale here in the USA, although Berdan are available.
This is pretty basic reloading stuff, if you don't know this, you shouldn't even be close to a reloading setup.:whistling:Time to hit the books! If that sounds grumpy, well, I just watched stupid people re elect one of the most incompetent people ever to the most important position in the world.

IMO "grumpy" is an understatement!!!

Have you ever heard the saying: "There's no such thing as a dumb question"?

Asking questions and getting answers to those questions is partly how people learn. In addition, it is the main reason that various Forums like this one exsist. People learn by reading answers to questions that other people have asked.

Now --- do one of two things. Either go outside and kick the dog for no reason or take a nap. You sound like a brat kid who has been up too late and needs to go to bed.

fredj338 11-15-2012 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainXL (Post 19634785)
IMO "grumpy" is an understatement!!!

Have you ever heard the saying: "There's no such thing as a dumb question"?

Asking questions and getting answers to those questions is partly how people learn. In addition, it is the main reason that various Forums like this one exsist. People learn by reading answers to questions that other people have asked.

Now --- do one of two things. Either go outside and kick the dog for no reason or take a nap. You sound like a brat kid who has been up too late and needs to go to bed.

Not grumpy at all & yes while there are no dumb questions, you shouldn't even be reloading if you don't know that simple fact. Too many people are too lazy, tech does that. So pick up a frickin book & do some research for yourself. Then when you ask a question, you won't sound so ill equip.
BTW, if I need an etiquette lesson, I'll be sure to call a liberal that deals w/ political correctness, because I don't do it. Thanks for the input, I guess.:upeyes::wavey: Oh, & opinoins, well you know how that goes. You have yours, I have mine. I would rather be an informed brat than a whatever you call yourself, I don't do name calling. That is kind of childish.

Murphy's Law 11-15-2012 16:27

Hey Fred.....since you're throwing out old statements, let me give you one. "If you can't say something nice to someone, then don't bother saying anything at all" (falls under the category of having manners). Although I agree with you about self help and reading up on the subject/hobby and in the process of looking for something, you end up reading 10 other things you didn't know. Ok that's enough of me being on my high horses.

fredj338 11-15-2012 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy's Law (Post 19635596)
Hey Fred.....since you're throwing out old statements, let me give you one. "If you can't say something nice to someone, then don't bother saying anything at all" (falls under the category of having manners). Although I agree with you about self help and reading up on the subject/hobby and in the process of looking for something, you end up reading 10 other things you didn't know. Ok that's enough of me being on my high horses.

Look, I didn't say anything nasty or not nice, I offered help. I mererly point out the obvious that the OP has little grasp of even the basics. So hit the books, get some knowledege the old fashion way, earn it. You know, give a fish, teach to fish.:dunno: We are a growing society of politically correct sissys.:upeyes:

Murphy's Law 11-16-2012 06:11

Fair enough Fred..concur

Paul53 11-16-2012 23:12

:popcorn:

fredj338 11-18-2012 09:08

I like carmel corn myself. ^^^^ FWIW, I don;t think Captain is a troll, just one of those misguided, low self esteem types that needs a soft hand. I only do that w/ children to the age of 13, then it's time to be a grown up & it is what it is.

nscob 11-22-2012 19:44

primers

Mr. .338 Fred has helped easily 1000's of us at various levels of experience,he has some bank to have whatever teaching method he chooses.

Just lurking for me has helped me ten fold.

The questions asked can be serious and all "feelings" should be left in the other room,away from the dangerous equipment.

WiskyT 11-22-2012 20:42

The basic knowledge of reloading should be learned from books not only because it reduces the use of bandwidth for answering unnecessary questions, but because the bulk of information should be learned from known sources. If I started a thread about "How do I adjust my sizer die?" I'll get 40 answers and at least 10 of them will be flat out wrong. If I read Hornady's, Lyman's etc manuals about how to adjust the die, I'll get one answer and it will be correct.

There seems to be a trend for noobs to avoid manuals. Some noobs anyway. They figure they can ask on the internet and get data from websites and be good to go. It's a big mistake. Before you spend one nickel on tools, spend the $10.00 or so Midway is clearancing out the Hornady #8 for.

I get asked by lots of people about how to get into reloading at my club. I tell them to get a manual before they do anything else and to stay off the internet for knowledge regarding reloading.

The internet is a great place to get recipes and learn how to change the cabin air filter on your car. It's very hit and miss regarding reloading.

nscob 11-23-2012 09:24

primers

Well said Whisky. Fred is very knowledgeable and can be trusted in my opinion. Not everyone is of that caliber(ha),books are a good start middle and end,with continual reference as need.

I think Fred,I know myself along with a lot of others are still reeling from 11/6/12 7 PM or so the day the world changed for permanent,instead of temporarily.

xdmikey 11-25-2012 21:26

F106, wideners has Wolfe primers and they(wolfe)have a pretty good reputation. And they're $14/1000 + hazmat and shipping.