Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Political Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Is a Recession Now Guaranteed? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451773)

Flying-Dutchman 11-07-2012 10:15

Is a Recession Now Guaranteed?

Some talking heads on the business channels say a recession is guaranteed.

Business people are saying Obama has 3 days to assure the markets.

His can do one of 2 things:

Preserve his legacy by saving the economy

or

Fundamentally transform the United States of America.

Restless28 11-07-2012 10:34

The majority spoke yesterday. They support taking us all over the edge of the cliff.

aircarver 11-07-2012 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless28 (Post 19603042)
The majority spoke yesterday. They support taking us all over the edge of the cliff.

& now, no one will be trying to stop it ... :frown:

unit1069 11-07-2012 11:04

Yes, in my opinion a double-dip recession --- and possibly a depression --- is unavoidable. Employers can no longer keep full-time employees with CareBarry forcing crippling healthcare costs onto their balance sheets.

Defense industries who were cowed into violating US law by Team Obama will in the next couple of week announce the tens of thousands of layoffs starting in 2013, announcements that by law were due last month.

Where are the funds going to come from to support all those newly laid off workers while simultaneously paying for all the welfare checks and free cellphones for America's Dependent Class? We're facing massive Social Security, Medicare, and entitlement shortfalls with no viable solutions and an unaccountable Marxist president who visions himself a transformational historical figure who has shown his determination to let America sink rather than compromise one whit.

I'm shorting the market on the first decent bounce, since it was already too late for me to do so this morning. The stock and bond markets are going to crash, and I'm glad I went to cash about three weeks ago, fearing just this election outcome.

DanaT 11-07-2012 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless28 (Post 19603042)

Have you ever had to call your wife and tell her there is a 30% chance that the family will be moving to another country right after Xmas?

My day is not going so well. And I thought jury duty was bad....

nursetim 11-07-2012 11:28

I don't know but my depression started last night. Although, if Romney had won, it would have been just postponing the inevitable. HWSNBN will lead the US to the end quicker.

arclight610 11-07-2012 11:29

A new era of prosperity is here now that Obama has rightfully secured his place.

JackMac 11-07-2012 12:15

going down the drain. After 26 years in business, I am closing shop before the end of the year. Just don't have it in me to do it before Christmas....thinking about my employees. Well at least they can apply for unemployment come January. Thank you very much Mr. President. Thank you.

arclight610 11-07-2012 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackMac (Post 19603440)
going down the drain. After 26 years in business, I am closing shop before the end of the year. Just don't have it in me to do it before Christmas....thinking about my employees. Well at least they can apply for unemployment come January. Thank you very much Mr. President. Thank you.

What is your business?

svtpwnz 11-07-2012 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by arclight610 (Post 19603459)
What is your business?

+1 I hope you don't close your business just because of the election turnout. We own a business also and have made changes to how we operate. We didn't replace a few FT employees that left and hired part time folks to fill in where needed.

We have no plans of closing the doors but certainly had to make changes to slim down payroll and operating costs. We were planing on replacing several vehicles and now that and a few other purchases are not going to happen anytime soon.

I wish you the best on your buisness and hope you decide to stay in the game. :wavey:

Mrs.Cicero 11-07-2012 12:39

WTH? We've been in a recession for years. We're heading for a depression. No, a Depression, the likes of which we haven't seen since 1929. Take your rose-colored glasses off, people.

Dennis in MA 11-07-2012 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman (Post 19602970)
Some talking heads on the business channels say something to get me to keep watching through the next commercial break.

Business people are saying more stuff that continues to get me to watch their crummy ads. Curse them!

More blathering to get me to another commercial break. . .

I feel better correcting that post. ;)

MtBaldy 11-07-2012 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero (Post 19603569)
WTH? We've been in a recession for years. We're heading for a depression. No, a Depression, the likes of which we haven't seen since 1929. Take your rose-colored glasses off, people.

This.

Ain't going to be no recession folks, we're headed for full on "where's my next meal coming from" depression. Think Argentina after 2001:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/a...ollapses/59179

Dennis in MA 11-07-2012 13:27

BTW - And some of you vote. :rofl:

michael_b 11-07-2012 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero (Post 19603569)

Technically since 2000, We never pulled out of it.

Dennis in MA 11-07-2012 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael_b (Post 19605463)

We pulled out. Recession is a very specifically defined term. But we've never gotten past the economic high (albeit artificial) we hit in 2000.

curlysir 11-07-2012 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit1069 (Post 19603165)
Defense industries who were cowed into violating US law by Team Obama will in the next couple of week announce the tens of thousands of layoffs starting in 2013, announcements that by law were due last month.

Already started: http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-boei...4--sector.html

Zombie Surgeon 11-07-2012 19:44

Recession? No.
Depression yes.

camelotkid 11-07-2012 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael_b (Post 19605463)

well technically that recession ended we just have yet to fully recover from it. But honestly I think we are on an upward swing and it would not have mattered who won the election.

Furthermore if any of you that are predicting a double dip are the same ones who were predicting a Romney win you obviously are not good at predicting so just sit down and be quite.

devildog2067 11-07-2012 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtBaldy (Post 19603753)
Ain't going to be no recession folks, we're headed for full on "where's my next meal coming from" depression. Think Argentina after 2001:

It's not going to be anything like Argentina.

You know the saying "if you owe the bank a thousand dollars, you have a problem... if you owe the bank a billion dollars, the bank has a problem"?

Argentina defaulted on $132 billion of sovereign debt. We have 100x that much outstanding.

Our decline is going to take much longer, go much slower, and we're not going to bounce back from it in ten years the way Argentina did.