Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   DOGS, The AR's that I should not even consider (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451895)

akapennypincher 11-07-2012 18:57

DOGS, The AR's that I should not even consider

SAR Gun Show is in 28 Days, there should be lots of AR's For Sale. What are the Deals?

What are the Dogs.

What is the AR's that should be avoided at all cost, as their Quality Control is IFFY?

Brian Brazier 11-07-2012 19:31

I would avoid Olympic Arms, I tried one, it had multiple malfunctions, nothing was properly staked, YMMV. Doublestar gets allot of negitive feedback here and on M4 Carbine, mostly from people who have never even held one, let alone shot one. Both of my Doubkestar rifles have functioned flawless, are properly staked, M4's have proper cuts, I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

Cole125 11-07-2012 19:40

:popcorn:

Guys here will have different opinions, based on their experiences, and/or repeating what they have heard or read.

The guy above said Olympic Arms is no good, well I had one that ran great and never gave me a problem. This holds true with any brand, one guy will have one that works, the next guy has one thats junk.

It's safe to say many less expensive AR brands have spotty quality control, your chances of getting a lemon are higher than a higher end brand.

edit: Do a search here, there is hundreds of "what AR should I get threads".

mjkeat 11-07-2012 19:54

People use there ARs in differing capacities thus you'll here varying accounts of hands on experience w/i the same brand. There are companies that receive good reviews on a more consistant basis.

When I was researching my first AR purchase I did a lot of looking around M4C and took note of the carbines used most in high level classes by high level shooters. You can also read AARs. They'll sometimes include discussion on equipment used during the class.

Mayhem like Me 11-07-2012 21:14

Be an educated consumer, know what to look for and what you want,,, a new colt 6920 is a screaming deal at around 1000 out the door..
You will see price gouging this weekend since the election I am sure of it.

Daniel Defense makes a very solid Ar15

Both have top notch quality control.

You may get a good one from another maker , but if you don't oh well you may or may not get good service.

Higher end are NOVESKE and KAC.. those are pricey and are cool but offer no more reliability.

The Colt would be my pick because you can sell them for darn near what you paid they are the best value.

Brian Brazier 11-07-2012 21:39

Allot depends on what your going to use the rifle for, I use my Doublestars for range, HD, it performs fine, and at under $700 leaves allot of money for ammo. Everyones going to have different opinions of what is a quality rifle, can you get a quality rifle without getting a Colt or DD, I think so. The market is flooded right now with small and large manufactures, whatnis your intended use for the rifle? Whats your budget?

Ruggles 11-07-2012 22:11

Build one, they damn near snap together like legos :)

You can pick and choose what you want, adding over time if budget is an issue. Lots of great deals on the internet for every part you need. The lower is the only thing you will need to get thru a FFL. Pick up a stripped one at the show for $90 to $130 and then start picking up parts for it.

Videos on Youtube will clearly show you everything you need to know. It is easy to do. All 5 of mine are put together from different parts and makers. Most folks agree the lower is not an issue as they are almost all exactly the same regardless of brand name. The upper and bole carrier group are where the debate lies most of the time.

If you want a pre-assembled rifle then the ones mentioned above are good to go. Bushmaster, Stag Arms, Smith & Wesson are also good choices.

Just be prepared for lots of advice, brand name & AR15 can be a hotly debated subject to say the least.

Warp 11-07-2012 23:01

Tons of threads about this here and on other forums, like M4carbine.net

I would not get:
DPSM
Olympic
Bushmaster
Double Star
Anything I haven't heard of

I would get:
Colt
Daniel Defense
Bravo Company Manufacturing
Noveske
LMT
LaRue
-
Spikes
Palmetto State Armory
Smith and Wesson

All depending on what I wanted and what I wanted to spend

faawrenchbndr 11-08-2012 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp (Post 19606464)

I would not get:
DPSM
Olympic
Bushmaster
Double Star

I would get:
Colt
Daniel Defense
Noveske
LMT
LaRue
-
Spikes
Palmetto State Armory
Smith and Wesson

:agree:

TangoFoxtrot 11-08-2012 05:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp (Post 19606464)

I would not get:
DPSM
Olympic
Bushmaster
Double Star

I would get:
Colt
Daniel Defense
Noveske
LMT
LaRue
-
Spikes
Palmetto State Armory
Smith and Wesson

+2 :agree:

Bren 11-08-2012 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by akapennypincher (Post 19605242)
SAR Gun Show is in 28 Days, there should be lots of AR's For Sale. What are the Deals?

What are the Dogs.

What is the AR's that should be avoided at all cost, as their Quality Control is IFFY?

An AR is an AR - learn about them and you can make any one work as well as the next. They are like 1911's that way. High dollar brand names are for people who don't know enough to build their own.

Looking above, for example: Double Star makes some of the best parts I've ever had on an AR or a 1911 and I've built both with their parts - excellent quality, but the newbs don't know the name and don't know enough to see the differences, beyond brand names.

Big Bird 11-08-2012 05:49

FWIW, DPMS sells more ARs in the US than any other maker by a very large margin. You will hear lots about them. But the guns I've seen ran fine. Price is not the only reason they sell bunch...if they were junk they wouldn't hold the market share they do.

Deployment Solu 11-08-2012 06:58

Gentleman.. I will be at the show. There will be no price gouging at our tables. We offer 20% of everyday retail at gunshows!!! I'll be in the NW corner( I believe it is the NW corner(enter the bldg from the side facing the other bldgs and we are in the left back corner)of the SAR Show bdlg. Look for the Choate Machine & Tool sign.

Look us up at www.riflestock.com. We are GlockTalk sponsors.

If you know who we are and want something in particular, lmk and I can make sure to have one for you!!!

Look forward to seeing you there.

Bryon

akapennypincher 11-08-2012 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by warp (Post 19606464)
tons of threads about this here and on other forums, like m4carbine.net

i would not get:
Dpsm
olympic
bushmaster
double star
anything i haven't heard of

i would get:
Colt
daniel defense
bravo company manufacturing
noveske
lmt
larue
-
spikes
palmetto state armory
smith and wesson

all depending on what i wanted and what i wanted to spend

bingo.

Chuck TX 11-08-2012 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bird (Post 19606953)
FWIW, DPMS sells more ARs in the US than any other maker by a very large margin. You will hear lots about them. But the guns I've seen ran fine. Price is not the only reason they sell bunch...if they were junk they wouldn't hold the market share they do.

It's because they're fine for plinking now and then, which is what most consumers do. How many lower tier owners have even possessed thousands of rounds, let alone shot it, or even plan to short of SHTF?

Not a lot.

It depends on intended use. I have friends with certain rifles and they think they're grand. I have owned said brand rifles and put enough thru them for the lack of quality to shine through. Mostly unusual & accelerated wear and busted LPK parts. They shoot a few rounds per year and will never know the difference.

fnfalman 11-08-2012 10:43

Armalite!!!

I'm thinking about getting one of their semiauto versions of the M16A2.

JBnTX 11-08-2012 11:41

Keep It Simple. Just buy a Colt.

P99er 11-08-2012 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 19606931)
Looking above, for example: Double Star makes some of the best parts I've ever had on an AR or a 1911 and I've built both with their parts - excellent quality, but the newbs don't know the name and don't know enough to see the differences, beyond brand names.

Double Star hasn't made it into the "approved" group. Until so called experts start praising it, it will be beat up, regardless of whether people have problems with them or not.

fnfalman 11-08-2012 11:52

Whatever happened to Cav Arms?

Warp 11-08-2012 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bird (Post 19606953)

I have limited DPMS experience. Both negative. (I don't usually pay attention to what other people are shooting, but, well, you'll see why I knew what they had below)

First: Guy next to me at the range was shooting an AR15, as was I. Not long after he started he came over and asked me if I knew about them, or whatever. His DPMS had jammed so bad on a round of Remington/UMC FMJ that he just could not get the bolt open. I tried to help but it was damn stuck and I didn't want to beat on some other guy's gun. Range staff came over and pounded the crap out of the buttstock-onto the bench-and it eventually came loose.

Second: At an Appleseed a fellow instructor, whom I had shot with before, was shooting an AR15 as I was doing the same. We were both shooting Federal XM855. He 'warned me' about failures to fire with that ammo. Said he got them from time to time, and he had just had 2 FTF out of 5. He put the two in again and one fired, one did not. I took the one that had twice failed in his rifle...it worked perfectly in mine, same as every other round I have ever put through it *knock on wood*