Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Kalashnikov Klub (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   How many loaded AK mags you keep handy (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452480)

Dalton Wayne 11-10-2012 15:43

How many loaded AK mags you keep handy
 
I've got 26 mags and a 75 round drum all loaded and ready to rock with an additional 1000 loose rounds in ammo cans,
All for only one rifle,

My lula mag loader is my best friend :cool:

RMTactical 11-10-2012 15:48

I only own 10 mags for my one AK. They are all loaded.

RedNine 11-10-2012 15:52

Just 1.

Tango 1Zero 11-10-2012 16:12

Might have one about half full in the safe.

schild 11-10-2012 16:56

Three out of seventy-five loaded.

RWBlue 11-10-2012 17:00

All of them. I don't see any reason not to leave them loaded.

Hamrhed 11-10-2012 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMTactical (Post 19616912)
I only own 10 mags for my one AK. They are all loaded.

This, although I try to keep a few empties around for training

F350 11-10-2012 20:17

25-30 rounders all loaded along with 2-100 round and 4-75 round drums; the drums are loaded FMJ, AP, incendiary, explosive, tracer: 2 tracer at 50 rounds and 4 at end of mag.

Now for the ARs, got a heck of a deal on 300 mags a few years ago, 100 loaded, also have 25-20 rounders also loaded FMJ, AP, incendiary, explosive, tracer.

adamg01 11-10-2012 20:28

Unless you live in Iraq I just don't see the point. I have one loaded mag in my rifle and a loaded Glock next to the bed. I am not in trouble with the law and can't imagine a home invasion that 30 rounds of 7.62 wouldn't repel. I can see it if something like Katrina happened in your area but seriously though, what do you think might happen?

I am not making fun of any of you but what do you think may happen that you would need more loaded mags than a Marine carries into battle?

deadmanglocking 11-10-2012 20:37

"4-75 round drums; the drums are loaded FMJ, AP, incendiary, explosive, tracer: 2 tracer at 50 rounds and 4 at end of mag.

Explosive? You just run down to the local LGS and pick those up? 2 30 rounders and a 75 rd drum in the safe

RWBlue 11-10-2012 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamg01 (Post 19617845)
Unless you live in Iraq I just don't see the point. I have one loaded mag in my rifle and a loaded Glock next to the bed. I am not in trouble with the law and can't imagine a home invasion that 30 rounds of 7.62 wouldn't repel. I can see it if something like Katrina happened in your area but seriously though, what do you think might happen?

I am not making fun of any of you but what do you think may happen that you would need more loaded mags than a Marine carries into battle?

I might decide to go to the range in a hurry. :supergrin:

F350 11-10-2012 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadmanglocking (Post 19617882)
"4-75 round drums; the drums are loaded FMJ, AP, incendiary, explosive, tracer: 2 tracer at 50 rounds and 4 at end of mag.

Explosive? You just run down to the local LGS and pick those up? 2 30 rounders and a 75 rd drum in the safe


When I was in Indiana, during the 80's and early 90s there was a vender at the INDY 1500 gun shows that dealt such "exotic" ammo and I usually made substantial purchases each show, I also have the same mix plus AP incendiary for the 7.62X51s. He had shot out the barrel in his German made BAR copy in 8mm so he sold me 2,000 rounds of tungsten core AP he had left over to feed my FNs.

deadmanglocking 11-11-2012 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by F350 (Post 19618073)
When I was in Indiana, during the 80's and early 90s there was a vender at the INDY 1500 gun shows that dealt such "exotic" ammo and I usually made substantial purchases each show, I also have the same mix plus AP incendiary for the 7.62X51s. He had shot out the barrel in his German made BAR copy in 8mm so he sold me 2,000 rounds of tungsten core AP he had left over to feed my FNs.

Cool, wish I could run across something like that.

FireForged 11-11-2012 12:42

loaded? hmmm..well, I see I am in the minority with this response but I only keep (1) 10 round polytech mag loaded and laying on top of the safe. If I needed a weapon in an emergency it would probably be the 12ga but I keep a AK mag available for the "who knows what might happen" moment.

Dalton Wayne 11-11-2012 12:47

I live in a hurricane area so I keep loaded mags ready, also in case of a ban I want as many as I can afford to have on hand, if a ban should come down the pipe they are money in the bank...

RWBlue 11-11-2012 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamg01 (Post 19617845)
Unless you live in Iraq I just don't see the point. I have one loaded mag in my rifle and a loaded Glock next to the bed. I am not in trouble with the law and can't imagine a home invasion that 30 rounds of 7.62 wouldn't repel. I can see it if something like Katrina happened in your area but seriously though, what do you think might happen?

I am not making fun of any of you but what do you think may happen that you would need more loaded mags than a Marine carries into battle?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireForged (Post 19619785)
loaded? hmmm..well, I see I am in the minority with this response but I only keep (1) 10 round polytech mag loaded and laying on top of the safe. If I needed a weapon in an emergency it would probably be the 12ga but I keep a AK mag available for the "who knows what might happen" moment.

Let me ask the opposite question.
You have mags?
You have ammo?
You know that having an AK mag loaded will not wear it out?
Why not have all your mags loaded?

kdstang 11-11-2012 14:08

An RPK in each hand, 75rd drums in both, 1260rd ammo crates slung over each shoulder... But no, 4+1 for the AKs, and 6+1 for the ARs.

HWI 11-12-2012 17:48

Personally, I only keep the mags loaded that I would carry with me. 4 on the chest and 2 on the gun.
Nothing wrong with keeping them all loaded, but I don't feel like reloading them all up after a range trip.

Dubble-Tapper 11-12-2012 19:12

i only have 7 steel 30 rounders, 6 loaded and in a chest rig and 1 in my weapon. all loaded. it doesnt wear the mag out, so why not? id rather have loaded mags and not need them than need it and not have them around. Although i dont see any home invasion resulting in more than 30 rds of AK fire. thats what the Saiga 12 is for.

FireForged 11-12-2012 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWBlue (Post 19619871)
Let me ask the opposite question.
You have mags?
You have ammo?
You know that having an AK mag loaded will not wear it out?
Why not have all your mags loaded?

because I can store 2 times the ammo in a GI ammo-can if they are not in the mags, space is limited. I do not have much consideration for how I store mags.. I do however, have some considerations when it comes to safetly storing ammo.

CBennett 11-12-2012 20:29

none, ive only got 3 mags for the ak74 want to get 3 more. I dont have any reason to keep any loaded. Hopefully if WWIII happens it will give me 5 minutes to load a couple mags lol...Other than that no real reason to keep any loaded.

nothing wrong with keeping them loaded if i was in a rural area they would be loaded but where i live i dont really consider it a primary HD weapon thats the 870 /.357 magnum/or 9mm

Luminary 11-13-2012 11:06

Just my one and only steel mag.

AK74play 11-17-2012 19:49

Well I can see only 25 from where I'm setting right now, but the tub over in the corner has another 50 plus 4 in my bedroom, then 3 loaded 75 round drums and 2 100 round drums. I would have to check my inventory sheet to see how many cases are in there for reloading purposes. I just got in another 1000 round case of 124gr hollow points the other day but havn't added them to the list yet.
Although this might sound a bit excessive to some, I look at it like this. If S does HTF then I am ready. If not, it's gonna be a very long time befor I ever have to reload. :supergrin:

MeanAction 11-17-2012 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamg01 (Post 19617845)
Unless you live in Iraq I just don't see the point. I have one loaded mag in my rifle and a loaded Glock next to the bed. I am not in trouble with the law and can't imagine a home invasion that 30 rounds of 7.62 wouldn't repel. I can see it if something like Katrina happened in your area but seriously though, what do you think might happen?

I am not making fun of any of you but what do you think may happen that you would need more loaded mags than a Marine carries into battle?

With all this talk about fiscal cliffs I say keep 'em all loaded cause if SHTF then the last thing you want to worry about is loading mags. I only have enough ammo and weapons that I can carry on my person. 2 Glocks, 1 pistol grip shotgun in a scarabe on my backpack, and 1 AK. With 10 mag chest rig.

megawatt 11-18-2012 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWBlue (Post 19619871)
Let me ask the opposite question.
You have mags?
You have ammo?
You know that having an AK mag loaded will not wear it out?
Why not have all your mags loaded?

I do not have only one type of ammo. Maybe one day I want to shoot brass cased Yugo ammo because of the range rules that I am going to shoot at. Big pain to unload the WOLF ammo just to reload it with Yugo. Just one instance where I would not want all my mags loaded.

What about malfunction drills? Best to do it with empty mags, don't you think?

Some of my mags are empty, some are full but never a one situation applies for every magazine as you suggest above.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.