Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Ok, I did it, bought a non-Glock - got me a 1994 German Sig 228 - Questions (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452832)

itisbruno 11-12-2012 17:13

Ok, I did it, bought a non-Glock - got me a 1994 German Sig 228 - Questions

Got me one of those police trade-in Sig German P228's.

It is gonna need the night sight lamps replaced - I can send it to Sig and get this done:

Sig Service Package Detailed stripping and complete and thorough ultrasonic cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory certified personnel. Replacement of springs prone to wear ( trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, recoil spring) and any needed small parts. Then lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing. ALSO INCLUDES THE FACTORY INSTALLATION OF SIGLITE NIGHT SIGHTS. (Not available for Mosquito, 1911-22 and P230/232 with fixed front sights). $144.95

Is that a good route to go, or just send the slide to trijicon or meprolight to get her re-lamped?

I could also use recommendations on a carry holster, never carried anything but a G30 or P3AT.

Ok Sig folks, fill me in on your knowledge.

Will I be under gunned carrying a 9mm?? I do usually have a GSD with me.

:whistling:

Thanks for any tips you have to share.

got2hav1 11-12-2012 17:22

First of all congrats on a fine firearm. I have two and they both shoot and handle great. I found an old El Paso Saddlery holster for mine and it works great. Its a pancake OWB holster that holds it nice and tight to the body. The P228 is a favorite of most shooters. Very accurate and very reliable. You will enjoy it .

bac1023 11-12-2012 17:34

Congrats! :cool:

:needspics:

countrygun 11-12-2012 17:37

I had one for a while but there were others in the same class I shot better and someone really wanted the 228.

I would send it to sig for the whole package if I were concerned about just the sights as the rest of the package is a nice bonus for very little more. If I wanted something "special done (action job) at the same time I have someone else I would rather send it to, but there is probably a ,short, waiting list/time.

Bruce M 11-12-2012 17:57

Enjoy your Sig. Around here night sights are often ~100. If the Sig needed nothing then the service package might be a bit pricey but if you don't know the status of the gun, to me it is more than worth it.

itisbruno 11-12-2012 22:00

Here is what I got (not here yet)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...un02/p228a.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...run02/p228.jpg

Thanks for the tips! The service package isn't much more than the sights, so given that it is a 1994 model, I may flip for it just for piece of mind.

Who is the "someone else" you have in mind, countrygun?

I forgot about the P2022 in the safe, I have 2 Sigs

:embarassed:

My mind is a terrible thing.

Anyone carry the P228? How is it for a carry piece?

Holster shopping is a drag, recommendations would be welcome.

My niece will be going away to college soon, I may pick her one up if she likes how it shoots.

countrygun 11-12-2012 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by itisbruno (Post 19625332)
Who is the "someone else" you have in mind, countrygun?

Bruce Gray at Grayguns.

Glock40man 11-12-2012 22:43

Congrats!:cool: I'd just send it to Sig.

steve1911 11-13-2012 01:32

Congrats! on the P228.

1911club#410

12131 11-13-2012 02:47

Congrats, bruno!
Looks like one of those nice Suisse Police trade-ins from Robertson Trading. Don't know what you'll be using it for. If just for range fun, then just shoot the heck out of it, and see. If for any defensive use at all, I would send it to SIG for their SSP.:wavey:

My current carry. I just use Blackhawk IWB size 6 holster, or Blackhawk SERPA for OWB carry.
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...g//thabr01.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...g//thabr02.jpg

Climbhard 11-13-2012 07:32

If you send it in to Sig for the service is have them do the SRT mod also. That's stands fir short reset trigger. It really is a world of difference. Then once you've got it back experiment with lighter weight mainsprings to fix that 10 lbs double action pull.

itisbruno 11-13-2012 11:53

countrygun, thanks for the info, I'll check out his site

monkeyboy, glad you chimed in, and you are spot on, that is exactly what it is, you are good. Thanks for the holster tips, I knew a sig whore like you would be able to help.

Riddle me this climbhard (and anyone else with thoughts on this) - I was looking at the SRT job, but will that adulterate the "all Germanness" of this firearm?

I like the true German heritage - but realize they send back the old parts, and the SRT does sound pretty sweet.

Thanks gang!

countrygun 11-13-2012 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by itisbruno (Post 19626867)
countrygun, thanks for the info, I'll check out his site

monkeyboy, glad you chimed in, and you are spot on, that is exactly what it is, you are good. Thanks for the holster tips, I knew a sig whore like you would be able to help.

Riddle me this climbhard (and anyone else with thoughts on this) - I was looking at the SRT job, but will that adulterate the "all Germanness" of this firearm?

I like the true German heritage - but realize they send back the old parts, and the SRT does sound pretty sweet.

Thanks gang!

If you are going to check out Grayguns site, download his "dryfire" packet. It is a great, free, bit of training info about the use and the best (IMO) technique for using dyfiring as a training tool.

itisbruno 11-13-2012 23:40

Great info, thanks countrygun.

I'll link it HERE for others.

TBO 11-13-2012 23:56

Nice pistol :thumbup:

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

countrygun 11-14-2012 00:01

I have to say that Bruce is one of the nicest and most helpful people I have ever known. A true gentleman. when you get to know him a bit you learn that his experience isn't just from competition, nor is he a "johnny-come-lately" in the gunsmithing business.

itisbruno 11-14-2012 00:20

Thanks TBO, the reason I came to GT was firearms, but since mom has been bedridden, I have not done much since 2007.

countrygun, I appreciate the tips, thank you!

TBO 11-14-2012 09:02

I've always liked the 228, but the only ones I've run across have been well worn and over priced.
Gander Mountain had one like that sit for 6 months and wouldn't drop their price. It finally disappeared but they couldn't tell me if it sold.

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

cowboy1964 11-14-2012 09:47

I would stay away from the Short Reset Trigger. There is absolutely no need for it, especially for a carry piece. It's not like the standard Sig trigger is too long in SA mode. Spend that money on ammo!

bruzer 02-06-2013 12:10

Thanks for the Sig Service Package info.
Mike