Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bad printing when I sit. Solutions? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453169)

bfsmith7 11-14-2012 17:15

Bad printing when I sit. Solutions?

I am currently carrying a G26 with +2 extension in a Raven Concealment Systems holster (IWB). When my only cover garment is a T-shirt (which works great while I'm standing), if lean forward at all while sitting (for example to lean over the table to eat) the butt of the gun sticks out way past my back and prints very badly. Anyone have any suggestions without changing holsters/guns? For a little more context: I am 5'8 170, slim/muscular build.

Thanks!

Clutch Cargo 11-14-2012 17:55

Depending on your state law, don't worry about it.

fastbolt 11-14-2012 18:08

You're not going to want to hear it ... but wear a proper cover garment.

I've met and listened to all manner of folks who like to think that they can effectively conceal most handguns under a T-shirt. However, standing straight and carefully posed in front of a mirror doesn't really simulate most normal activities, postures and motions we engage in during our normal lives.

Even a button-type shirt, worn untucked, can often be worn in such a way (size, cut and nature of material used) that it fails to effectively conceal a holstered pistol under many conditions, activities and bodily movements.

Some folks might have more luck than others, depending on how they prefer their clothing to fit, the styles/cuts of clothing they choose, their daily activities and how well their chosen carry methods work with their body shape/composition.

I remember the first time I saw one of our guys wearing a G26 in a IWB/tuckable type holster, underneath a tucked T-shirt. He was standing in line at a credit union. I was standing a few feet behind him, off to one side, and I could clearly the outline of his concealed Glock subcompact, and could tell he was using a magazine with a curved extension. The texture of the grip frame was even discernible underneath the shirt material.

Over the years I've usually found that it's not all that difficult to spot plainclothes cops (wearing untucked & loose shirts) who are armed with a belt-holstered weapon at training classes, conferences, seminars & meetings. Some apparently aren't concerned whether they're effectively concealing their weapons (especially if they're among mostly other cops), and some actually seem to think their weapons are really effectively concealed.

FWIW, lawfully concealing a handgun usually involves some adjustment for most of us, to some extent, when it comes to everyday actions, activities, motions, postures, etc.

Leaning, bending, reaching, twisting, kneeling and other motions may require a minor adjustment in order to continue to conceal a belt-holstered weapon. Think of it as a lifestyle adjustment, of sorts.

BTW, have you at least tried reaching with the arm & hand on the non-gun side? ;) Simple things ...

ditto1958 11-14-2012 18:11

Don't sit down?

Bruce M 11-14-2012 18:12

As usual Fastbolt has some great thoughts on the problem. I have three, but no where near as good. Use the ten round magazine, try a bigger and longer t shirt and try moving the pistol a bit more forward.

Agent6-3/8 11-14-2012 19:35

The truth of the matter is that unless you're wearing a jacket or some sort of hoodie/sweat shirt there isn't much that's not going to print at some point under normal movements. The good news is that the general public are too unobservant to notice.

I hate to recommend a new holster, but perhaps what you're using now just doesn't work for your body type.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

ChicagoZman 11-14-2012 19:42

Using a standard magazine will help immensely, as will wearing a heavier fabric shirt or other appropriate cover garment.

xcaliburelite 11-14-2012 19:44

The color of the t shirt matters a lot when it comes to effective concealing a weapon under it. The darker the color, the better it will 'hide' any profile that the weapon might produce. I carry a G26 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe, and only wear dark polo's and t shirts with it. It's a simple thing that goes a long way. Wear a dark shirt and have someone look at you and tell you if you are profiling in different positions.

CitizenOfDreams 11-14-2012 20:03

My solution to that problem is the increased forward cant (modified Crossbreed Supertuck holster). And looser shirts. And less worrying about printing.

http://home.citizenofdreams.com/gt/supertuck.jpg

Hef 11-14-2012 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfsmith7 (Post 19631696)
Anyone have any suggestions without changing holsters/guns?

Thanks!

Stop worrying about it.

happyguy 11-14-2012 20:26

Wear the gun in front of your hip and use a standard magazine.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

FLglockdude 11-14-2012 20:50

Unless your wearing a size schmedium shirt, I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. One of the hardest things when you carry is to realize that everybody is not going to notice the little bump under your shirt. Everybody keeps their cell phones on their belt now, the sheep are accustomed to that kind of stuff. There's no way you will print bad enough carrying a G26 to make somebody think gun if you are wearing a loose fitting shirt.

M24C 11-14-2012 21:12

If you can change the cant of the holster for the but to stick up more. The will give less sticking out the back for the butt of the gun to show. Like the picture someone previously posted. Ravens normal cant is 10 degrees, you can buy it with a 15 degree can't or the FBI cant. I like mine with a 30 degree cant.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

chrisw670 11-15-2012 02:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams (Post 19632298)
My solution to that problem is the increased forward cant (modified Crossbreed Supertuck holster). And looser shirts. And less worrying about printing.

http://home.citizenofdreams.com/gt/supertuck.jpg

That's pretty much what I did and it help a good deal. There are still T shirts I have that don't do as well others though. It's nice that it's getting colder out now. A light jacket or a pull over is a great thing.

CitizenOfDreams 11-15-2012 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisw670 (Post 19633267)
It's nice that it's getting colder out now. A light jacket or a pull over is a great thing.

Yep, a jacket makes concealment easy and foolproof. But we can only wear jackets once or twice a year here in FL. :dunno:

robhic 11-15-2012 10:47

I guess my first thought is: Why carry a G26 if you're gonna use 2X extensions? The 26 is made for concealment but, IMO, you defeat the intent by adding that grip length. I'd get some GAP floorplates and use the 10rd mags.

Or just carry a G19 or other larger pistol.

xcaliburelite 11-15-2012 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by robhic (Post 19634237)
I guess my first thought is: Why carry a G26 if you're gonna use 2X extensions? The 26 is made for concealment but, IMO, you defeat the intent by adding that grip length. I'd get some GAP floorplates and use the 10rd mags.

This is my exact set up. G26 In a Crossbreed Supertuck with a 10 round mag with a GAP floorplate. I carry a spare G17 mag in my pocket. It works really well for me.

SFla27 11-15-2012 11:12

If you're going to keep your current setup, you may want to consider remembering what body movements create a printing situation and modify accordingly.

Example: If you're sitting and have to bend forward, remember to keep your back straight (or as straight as possible).

Oh...and don't worry about it. Seriously.

Just get yourself a list of solutions (body positioning ideas) based on what you do while carrying.

Also, as others have mentioned above, you should experiment with pistol position while carrying (such as cant).

Good to go.

Able 5 11-15-2012 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by robhic (Post 19634237)

Or just carry a G19 or other larger pistol.

Some folks shoot a 26 better than a 19/17. Two more bullets if needed = better. Body type dependant so barrel is not poking ya in the hip. Just to name a few reasons.

As to the OP, adjust cant and get a larger/better cover garment.

be safe out there

cowboy1964 11-15-2012 15:43

More holster cant, lose the +2 extension.

Do you carry a spare mag?