Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Illinois woman killed in her home by adopted dog (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453323)

Atlas 11-15-2012 14:25

Illinois woman killed in her home by adopted dog

Tragic..
A woman was found dead in her home after being attacked by a 140-pound Mastiff she and her husband recently adopted.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/711149748/

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ities-say?lite

Berto 11-15-2012 14:26

Crazy.

TK-421 11-15-2012 15:03

Wow, that's just bizarre. I wonder what happened, kind of doubt we'll ever fully know though. Really is sad that this happened. Next people will be saying to outlaw Mastiffs and put them all down, once they give up on Pit Bulls.

Foxterriermom 11-15-2012 15:36

That is horrible beyond words.

Bruce M 11-15-2012 16:06

Sadly that might be part of the reason the dog was put up for adoption.

Hawkeye16 11-15-2012 16:15

That is devastating for so many reasons. Found by her husband, worked on by her coworkers, a family member gave them the dog... Wow.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

certifiedfunds 11-15-2012 17:10

Sad..

RicoGordo 11-15-2012 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce M (Post 19635542)

That is an awful thought. I think you should either euthanize them or remove their teeth.

NeverMore1701 11-15-2012 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicoGordo (Post 19635788)
That is an awful thought. I think you should either euthanize them or remove their teeth.

Easily the dumbest thing I've seen today.

RicoGordo 11-15-2012 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19635283)
Wow, that's just bizarre. I wonder what happened, kind of doubt we'll ever fully know though. Really is sad that this happened. Next people will be saying to outlaw Mastiffs and put them all down, once they give up on Pit Bulls.

I hope you are not right.

Those "bad dog" laws have been pushed for for as long as I can remember. Even in the 70s, grandstanding politicians and stupid people were at it. Dobermans were the target back then.

Then it was Rottweilers in the 80s, and then Pit Bulls became the bed-wetter's target.

This poor woman and her survivors had bad luck, and nothing else.

el_jewapo 11-15-2012 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce M (Post 19635542)

This. I don't have anything against any dog breed, but I think it's kind of dumb to get a dog that can physically overpower you and you don't have the first clue of how it was raised.

ilgunguygt 11-15-2012 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 (Post 19635801)
Easily the dumbest thing I've seen today.

I agree about removing the teeth but I come from the sticks. Out here if a dog proves itself to be mean and will bite they wouldnt be put up for adoption, they are taken out behind the shed and shot.

TK-421 11-15-2012 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicoGordo (Post 19635820)
I hope you are not right.

Those "bad dog" laws have been pushed for for as long as I can remember. Even in the 70s, grandstanding politicians and stupid people were at it. Dobermans were the target back then.

Then it was Rottweilers in the 80s, and then Pit Bulls became the bed-wetter's target.

This poor woman and her survivors had bad luck, and nothing else.

I hope I'm not right either, but with how stupid anti-dog people are, it's always a possibility. The funny thing is that all people see are the Pits who are bred to be mean and vicious, which aren't very common. They never get to see one of the Pits best jobs, which was to be a babysitter.

http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=676

meathead19 11-15-2012 18:29

What a horrible way to die.

That's up there with being burned alive.

NeverMore1701 11-15-2012 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgunguygt (Post 19635898)
I agree about removing the teeth but I come from the sticks. Out here if a dog proves itself to be mean and will bite they wouldnt be put up for adoption, they are taken out behind the shed and shot.

Exactly, shoot the damn thing and get it over with. Don't pull its teeth or something retarded like that.

Rotn1 11-15-2012 19:03

As I type this, on the couch next to me is rescued Rottweiler happily snoring away.
Rescuing and adopting is a wonderful thing. Folks need to pay particular attention to the temperament of the animal, and forgive me for stating the completely obvious, particularly when they are the powerful and headstrong breeds.

Unless you have had and or know and or are a trainer / pack leader type you should stick to the breeds you know when adopting.
A tragic end for anyone. And particularly for a good caring individual such a s her.

JDennis 11-15-2012 19:50

. That is horribly tragic. On a logical side, adopting a dog isnt just something you jump into. On many protective working/hunting breeds, you need to research a breed before jumping into adopting one. Many breeds are beyond the time required, training, or work a owner needs wants or can put into a breed. When we rescued our WSD's brother who was neglected and abused he was a terror. We worked with him for months before adopting him out. And even after finding a family for him, it required 2 meetings in his territory, 3 at their home, meetings with the children and a couple overnights. In the end they are ecstatic and have a awesome new family member.

Patchman 11-15-2012 19:55

Really tragic, considering the woman sounded like she really cared for animals.

But also makes me realize that whenever an LEO is forced to shoot a dog, maybe the dog really needs to be stopped?!?!

JDennis 11-15-2012 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patchman (Post 19636256)
Really tragic, considering the woman sounded like she really cared for animals.

But also makes me realize that whenever an LEO is forced to shoot a dog, maybe the dog really needs to be stopped?!?!

I can agree to a point but bottom line is 90% or more of the dogs behavior is a direct relation to the owners. Most dogs that need to be put down, their blood is on the hands of a owner that shouldn't own them to begin with.

*ASH* 11-15-2012 20:03

reported that the dog did not get along with her other 2 dogs , prolly trying to break up a dog fight and it turned ugly . could have been avoided , you dont just throw strange dogs in with other pets . she paid the ultimate price .\

i know only had dog for a week , but wouldnt that be the perfect murder ??? husband cheating or wife cheating , train dog to attack , nobody would know anything . but only having it a week pretty much blows that out of water . but still interesting

Peace Warrior 11-15-2012 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ASH* (Post 19636284)
... i know only had dog for a week , but wouldnt that be the perfect murder ??? husband cheating or wife cheating , train dog to attack , nobody would know anything . but only having it a week pretty much blows that out of water . but still interesting

ASH,

Some people think/reason "outside of the box," but your inductive reasoning skills often allows you to show others what it is like to crawl under it and dig down a little too. :whistling:

:tongueout: :supergrin: :wavey:

*ASH* 11-15-2012 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace Warrior (Post 19636319)
ASH,

Some people think/reason "outside of the box," but your inductive reasoning skills often allows you to show others what it is like to crawl under it and dig down a little too. :whistling:

:tongueout: :supergrin: :wavey:

:thanks::cheers: