Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heckler & Koch Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   USP: changing LEM to DA/SA. Easy? Cheap? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453629)

Henry's Dad 11-17-2012 16:54

USP: changing LEM to DA/SA. Easy? Cheap?

If one were to purchase a USP with an LEM trigger, how easy is it to swap in a DA/SA trigger configuration? I'm interested in both the price of such a mod and technical ability needed (ie, can your average guy do it, or is a 'smith-only job?).

Thanks!

majette 11-17-2012 17:06

it is not too hard if you have average ability. i would suggest learning the lem trigger, it is head and shoulders above the da/sa. think of it as a light sa with a long intitial/first shot takeup. here is a video i did explaining the lem trigger:

barth 11-17-2012 17:32

I'd get some serious range time in with the LEM.
And see if it doesn't win you over.

It's hard to get the conversion kits from DA/SA to LEM.
And some LEM models.
As that's what lots of folks want these days.

I have four LEM guns myself and wouldn't have them any other way.
Actually bought a HK45C DA/SA and a LEM conversion kit.
Because I couldn't find anyone with a HK45C LEM in stock.

If you are dead set on converting back to DA/SA?
It's a handful of parts you can buy separate.
There's instruction and information on HKPRO
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refere...tructions.html

Henry's Dad 11-17-2012 18:06

Thanks both for the info. LEM doesn't look like a bad option at all.

My main reason for asking was that I'll likely be buying used, and wanted to jump at a good deal if it came along and not have to worry which trigger it had.

Thanks again!

cowboy1964 11-17-2012 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by majette (Post 19641927)
think of it as a light sa

Do you mean a light DA? SA should be lighter than LEM. HK SA is typically around 4.5 or 5#, no?

Henry's Dad 11-17-2012 22:19

Another couple of questions on mods:

(1) is it possible/easy to switch a decocking/safety lever from one side to the other (with an aftermarket part, I assume).

(2) can you install a decocking/safety lever on a gun that didn't come with one (var 7)?

Thanks again.

H&K 4 LIFE 11-18-2012 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry's Dad (Post 19642939)
Another couple of questions on mods:

(1) is it possible/easy to switch a decocking/safety lever from one side to the other (with an aftermarket part, I assume).

(2) can you install a decocking/safety lever on a gun that didn't come with one (var 7)?

Thanks again.

1. It is easy to switch the location of the control lever on a USP. Odd number variants are for right handed shooters (control lever left side of frame) and even number variants are for left handed shooters (control lever right side of frame).

For example, a V1 is DA/SA with safety and decocker control lever left side of frame, while a V2 is DA/SA with safety and decocker control lever right side of frame.

No aftermarket parts are required, as HK makes the necessary control levers themselves. The new control lever that corresponds to what side you wish to install it on is all that is required to move it's location. Furthermore, there are ambidextrous control levers available.

2. You can convert the pistol to LEM and still retain the control lever as a manual safety. Decocker function is not required with the LEM trigger.

The USP is still the most flexible HK pistol when it comes to trigger variants.

Spiffums 11-18-2012 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by majette (Post 19641927)
it is not too hard if you have average ability.

And a 3rd hand REALLY HELPS! :rofl: I lost my spring so many times when putting the LEM in.

majette 11-18-2012 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy1964 (Post 19642303)
Do you mean a light DA? SA should be lighter than LEM. HK SA is typically around 4.5 or 5#, no?

no, since the sa has a defined, light break point, it is different. the first shot has a light take up to the break point because the trigger is pre-cocked by chambering a round or racking the slide. the da only comes into play if the trigger is pulled for a second strike or dry firing without racking the slide to pre-cock the trigger.