Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Okie Corral (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Possibility of Extra terrestrial life? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454354)

Armchair Commando 11-22-2012 11:54

The Possibility of Extra terrestrial life?

Whadda you guys think? I was watching through the wormhole with Morgan freeman the other night and it really opens your mind to the endless possibilities of what's truly out there in space. Discuss

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Angry Fist 11-22-2012 11:57

The universe is too damn big for just us. For the religious diehards, God ain't stupid enough to not have a few thousand contigency plans. Ya know, for when we don't work out?

token5gtd 11-22-2012 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angry Fist (Post 19658231)
The universe is too damn big for just us. For the religious diehards, God ain't stupid enough to not have a few thousand contigency plans. Ya know, for when we don't work out?

In before the bible says you're wrong.

vart 11-22-2012 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by token5gtd (Post 19658234)

The Bible doesn't really close the door on the possibilities of other created beings in other galaxies... It doesn't mention them, but doesn't say they don't exist, either...:dunno:

OlliesRevenge 11-22-2012 12:02

IMO it's a certainty. The universe is infinite... it has to be. If there is an end, then what is beyond the end? If it is expanding, then what is beyond the outer edge of what is expanding?

Infinite space = infinite possibilities = certainty of other life. "Infinite possibilities" is also a strong argument for the existence of a God.

Angry Fist 11-22-2012 12:05

Yeah, and if I were God, I wouldn't put all my energy into one unstable place.

devildog2067 11-22-2012 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge (Post 19658246)
IMO it's a certainty. The universe is infinite... it has to be. If there is an end, then what is beyond the end?

How long is a circle?

It doesn't have an end, but it's not infinite either.

Quote:

If it is expanding, then what is beyond the outer edge of what is expanding?
Why can't it be nothing? The math says that it can.

JBnTX 11-22-2012 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by token5gtd (Post 19658234)

Maybe you should read the Bible before passing judgement on it.

There are several places in the Bible that allude to extraterrestrial life.

Of course there is other life in outer space. The universe is teeming with life of all kinds, just as it is here on Earth.

9jeeps 11-22-2012 12:19

A drive down your local traffic arterial will convince you there is extra terrestrial life right here on Terra Firma!:shocked:

OlliesRevenge 11-22-2012 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildog2067 (Post 19658267)
How long is a circle?

It doesn't have an end, but it's not infinite either.

Why can't it be nothing? The math says that it can.

Please articulate how a circle relates to the universe.

Also, please present, or post a link to that math.

Thank you.

colin1230 11-22-2012 12:34

Very possible, just not likely to show up here. The universe is simply too vast!

Adjuster 11-22-2012 12:35

Its a given.

/

GreenDrake 11-22-2012 12:40

Guaranteed. However seeing as how some galaxies are moving away from us faster than the speed of light, we will never know. It's pretty arrogant to think we are the only life out there. Ever check out the Ultra Deep Field video on YouTube, puts a lot of perspective to the vastness of space.

JDennis 11-22-2012 12:52

We are here, the universe is too large of a place for there not to be someone someplace else.

Mr. Niceguy 11-22-2012 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge (Post 19658347)

Thank you.

So your reasoning is "it has to be" but you're going to challenge a physicist on his math?

Batesmotel 11-22-2012 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDennis (Post 19658410)
We are here, the universe is too large of a place for there not to be someone someplace else.

I wonder what will happen on the day we know for sure. I also wonder how many other worlds have found each other.

happyguy 11-22-2012 13:39

Perhaps there is another physicist out beyond our known universe (in the nothingness) saying that there is only nothingness beyond the edge of his known universe.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

porschedog 11-22-2012 13:44

Watch a few episodes of Ancient Aliens and you'll be left considering the fact that we have been visited by beings odder than our in laws

Angry Fist 11-22-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batesmotel (Post 19658530)
I wonder what will happen on the day we know for sure. I also wonder how many other worlds have found each other.

Considering how far we have come in the last 500 years, just imagine a similar culture that has a 10,000 year head start on industrialization. They could have attained FTL travel thousands of years ago.

ancient_serpent 11-22-2012 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge (Post 19658347)

Are you just trying to be a jerk, or trying to be funny? They have the concept of frame of reference where you're from? Few people possess the background necessary to understand the math behind concepts of infinity. A circle, we're all pretty familiar with.

Better idea: since you see fit to challenge a subject matter expert, how about you go find some that says he's wrong? Till then, I, at least will take his word on it for the purposes of this discussion.

Thank you.

See above.

lunarspeak 11-22-2012 15:30

wrap you head around this what if we are not really natives of this planet,,,

what if some day E.T.s show up and were able to prove that we were from their race and were some lost colony they had just rediscovered.

would the christians freak out...would the govt let us go home????

OlliesRevenge 11-22-2012 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Niceguy (Post 19658514)
So your reasoning is "it has to be" but you're going to challenge a physicist on his math?

Who is the physicist you speak of? Is it "Devil dog2067"? Or some unnamed physicist who came up with the math that was neither presented nor referenced?

ArtificialGrape 11-22-2012 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge (Post 19658805)
Who is the physicist you speak of? Is it "Devil dog2067"? Or some unnamed physicist who came up with the math that was neither presented nor referenced?

This should be fun.

vart 11-22-2012 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge (Post 19658805)

Uh, yeah... He's like the undisputed math genius on GT who is an actual physicist working on some little project called the CERN Large Hadron Collider...

And he's awesome at algebra, too...:whistling:

czsmithGT 11-22-2012 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batesmotel (Post 19658530)

If they find germs on Mars or even some evidence that higher life forms existed there in the past I wouldn't be surprised. As far as other world finding each other it seems to me unlikely. But if it did happen, one world would serve the other- for dinner. The universe is probably more like Twilight Zone than Star Trek.