Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Slide release lever- can it be left out? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1455689)

digilo 12-01-2012 19:56

Slide release lever- can it be left out?
 
The slide release lever on my Glock 23 2nd Gen- I never use it. After inserting a fresh mag, I pull back on the slide to release it, old habit.

The slide release lever protruded too far for my liking, and I tried to bend the tab in slightly, but it broke off. Does the slide release lever do anything besides lock the slide back? If not, can it be left out? Would leaving it out affect the frame's ability to retain the trigger pin?

Thanks for helping the n00b....

cciman 12-02-2012 00:03

You will lose the slide locking back on an empty mag.

Spring helps to retain the trigger pin. You could leave it out. Coat the trigger pin with nail polish before putting it in, or blue loctite-- you will have to use a mallet later to remove it.

m2hmghb 12-02-2012 00:56

If you absolutely can't stand it anymore I'd buy a replacement and then grind the finger groove out completely, leaving the ability to lock back with an empty mag. I'm not sure how well it would work since you're decreasing the mass of the slide stop, which is why I said to buy a spare lever to experiment with.

Glockrunner 12-02-2012 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by digilo (Post 19689895)
The slide release lever on my Glock 23 2nd Gen- I never use it. After inserting a fresh mag, I pull back on the slide to release it, old habit.

The slide release lever protruded too far for my liking, and I tried to bend the tab in slightly, but it broke off. Does the slide release lever do anything besides lock the slide back? If not, can it be left out? Would leaving it out affect the frame's ability to retain the trigger pin?

Thanks for helping the n00b....

The Slide Stop serves a safety function as well. It allows the firearm the ability to be visually inspected without manipulation to ensure the chamber, breech area are clear of any ammo.

This situation is very important especially when handling the firearm between other people or during clearing, cleaning sessions.

If the firearm has to be cleared and placed on a bench before clearing the firing line, the slide is locked back to show/indicate to other shooters on the line that the weapon is clear. Leaving the slide forward even though the chamber is empty will not allow others on the range to ensure your weapon is actually safe.

They are cheap and I would have to ask, "Why does it bother you to have it?"

Lowjiber 12-02-2012 07:34

Glockrunner makes an excellent point.

Personally, I'm not running any firearm with pieces removed.

cciman 12-02-2012 10:43

My 1980's Walther PPK had no slide device, and to lock it back, you needed an empty mag. That was way back then, the design may have changed.

It does help with maintenance and troubleshooting to be able to lock the slide back easily (say you have a mis-feed, or some malfunction, where you actually have to reach inside). It is a PIA if you can't lock the slide back.

Most AK rifles do not have a bolt lock, unless you notch the safety lever, or modify the mag follower, the bolt stays closed.

On the range, you can stick a high visibility item into the chamber, that is visible to all around you, indicating the slide is out of battery (pencil, yellow cable, highlighter marker). You may be asked why your slide does not lock back :faint:. As long as no one physically touches or handles the gun when the range is cold -- it does not matter if the slide is open or closed.

Liability and common sense : This will be used against you in any legal process you are involved in.

Glockrunner 12-02-2012 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cciman (Post 19691564)
My 1980's Walther PPK had no slide device, and to lock it back, you needed an empty mag. That was way back then, the design may have changed.

It does help with maintenance and troubleshooting to be able to lock the slide back easily (say you have a mis-feed, or some malfunction, where you actually have to reach inside). It is a PIA if you can't lock the slide back.

Most AK rifles do not have a bolt lock, unless you notch the safety lever, or modify the mag follower, the bolt stays closed.

On the range, you can stick a high visibility item into the chamber, that is visible to all around you, indicating the slide is out of battery (pencil, yellow cable, highlighter marker). You may be asked why your slide does not lock back :faint:. As long as no one physically touches or handles the gun when the range is cold -- it does not matter if the slide is open or closed.

Liability and common sense : This will be used against you in any legal process you are involved in.

You might have never heard of or seen a round cook off.... PPK's yep but we're talking the Glock design.
Rifle range uses a bit different safety designs but still ment for the same result; no one gets shot.

digilo 12-02-2012 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cciman (Post 19690585)
Spring helps to retain the trigger pin. You could leave it out. Coat the trigger pin with nail polish before putting it in, or blue loctite-- you will have to use a mallet later to remove it.


I'll just leave it in, if it retains the trigger pin.


On our ranges we lay the guns down on the table pointing downrange- they don't have to be locked open or any of that. All the pistol guys step away from the tables so the rifle guys can change their targets.

digilo 12-02-2012 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by m2hmghb (Post 19690660)
If you absolutely can't stand it anymore I'd buy a replacement and then grind the finger groove out completely, leaving the ability to lock back with an empty mag. I'm not sure how well it would work since you're decreasing the mass of the slide stop, which is why I said to buy a spare lever to experiment with.

Decreasing the mass of the slide stop?


:rofl:


I better not do that....

m2hmghb 12-03-2012 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by digilo (Post 19694327)
Decreasing the mass of the slide stop?


:rofl:


I better not do that....

You know what I mean, it's kinda hard to be specific on pain meds and dealing with lack of sleep.

digilo 12-03-2012 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by cciman (Post 19691564)
Most AK rifles do not have a bolt lock, unless you notch the safety lever, or modify the mag follower, the bolt stays closed.

Which just makes my point. I've shot AKs for years, and never missed having a BHO.

But like I said, if the BHO spring helps retain the trigger pin, I'll leave it in, after grinding the head off flush on the outside.

unclebob 12-03-2012 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by digilo (Post 19692533)
On our ranges we lay the guns down on the table pointing downrange- they don't have to be locked open or any of that. All the pistol guys step away from the tables so the rifle guys can change their targets.

As a safety issue and liability of the shooting range that practice makes not one bit of sense to me.
Magazine removed, slide locked back, chamber checked, empty chamber flag or a spent case in the ejection port if the gun will not lock back.
Even with this I have seen too many times where people are down range and someone has a brain fart and picks up a firearm. If that was the range policy I would be finding me a different range.

digilo 12-03-2012 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebob (Post 19695076)
As a safety issue and liability of the shooting range that practice makes not one bit of sense to me.
Magazine removed, slide locked back, chamber checked, empty chamber flag or a spent case in the ejection port if the gun will not lock back.
Even with this I have seen too many times where people are down range and someone has a brain fart and picks up a firearm. If that was the range policy I would be finding me a different range.

It doesn't make one bit of sense to me to keep disabling the firearms ad nauseam in the name of "safety" (that thinking got us the Hillary hole). Put the gun down, step away from the tables. If no fingers are on triggers the guns can't go off. Simple as that. When the rifle guys are back at their tables, the range officer gives the okay to go back to the pistol tables. I've never seen someone ignore the range officer and all these people standing away from the shooting tables during a target timeout, pick up a pistol, and start firing while the rifle guys are out there.

ranger1968 12-03-2012 12:46

Actually, it's not a slide release lever;

It's a slide LOCK lever;

And I wouldn't leave it out; just keep slingshotting the slide like you've been doing all along.

Glockrunner 12-03-2012 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebob (Post 19695076)
As a safety issue and liability of the shooting range that practice makes not one bit of sense to me.
Magazine removed, slide locked back, chamber checked, empty chamber flag or a spent case in the ejection port if the gun will not lock back.
Even with this I have seen too many times where people are down range and someone has a brain fart and picks up a firearm. If that was the range policy I would be finding me a different range.

Well said brother Bob!

Glockrunner 12-03-2012 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by digilo (Post 19695578)
It doesn't make one bit of sense to me to keep disabling the firearms ad nauseam in the name of "safety" (that thinking got us the Hillary hole). Put the gun down, step away from the tables. If no fingers are on triggers the guns can't go off. Simple as that. When the rifle guys are back at their tables, the range officer gives the okay to go back to the pistol tables. I've never seen someone ignore the range officer and all these people standing away from the shooting tables during a target timeout, pick up a pistol, and start firing while the rifle guys are out there.

I know what ya mean. I had a flat one day on the car. I threw the tire iron away after that.

digilo 12-03-2012 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glockrunner (Post 19695885)
I know what ya mean. I had a flat one day on the car. I threw the tire iron away after that.


Speaking of cars, when I park mine, I make sure the parking brake is on, and I block all 4 wheels, and remove the driveshaft, just so it can't start by itself, throw itself in gear, and hurt someone.

It's moar saif that way.

Walt Sherrill 12-03-2012 14:28

Quote:

Actually, it's not a slide release lever;

It's a slide LOCK lever;
You're right -- that's what the part is called in the parts list.

But the little tab on the lever is clearly designed to be easily pressed; it might, for practical purposes, be called a release... One could argue that if they didn't mean for it to be used to UNLOCK (i.e. RELEASE) the slide, they wouldn't have put it there -- nor would they later have designed an EXTENDED version (on the 34 and 35, compatible with other models) to make it even easier to do so.

That extended tab isn't needed to LOCK the slide back more thoroughly -- only to release the slide more easily.

.

PEC-Memphis 12-03-2012 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger1968 (Post 19695732)
Actually, it's not a slide release lever;

It's a slide LOCK lever;

And I wouldn't leave it out; just keep slingshotting the slide like you've been doing all along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill (Post 19696055)
You're right -- that's what the part is called in the parts list.

Well, I've never been one to be so picky about the actual name of this part - but if your are going to pick nits - at least be correct.

It is not listed as a "slide lock" or a "slide release" - it is a "slide stop" on the parts list.

countrygun 12-03-2012 19:37

Well, if you really want to get rid of unneccessary protrusions, you could put in a laser replacement for the guide rod and take off those bumpy things on top of the slide.


:whistling:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.