Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Political Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Is prostitution really just capitalism? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456020)

Gunhaver 12-03-2012 23:17

Is prostitution really just capitalism?

Seems simple enough. People own their own bodies (but correct me if you believe the government actually owns us all) and people have a right to contract those bodies to do whatever kind of work they are comfortable doing.

I'm not talking about pimps and hos or forced sex trafficking or anything like that. There are obvious victims and other laws being broken. I'm talking about how the supposedly small-government right supports vice laws despite the fact that it clearly flies in the face of capitalism.

So it's OK to have sex with someone you meet, OK to take them out for dinner and a movie and whatever other offerings are needed to seal the deal but once you just take a cash for sex exchange it becomes criminal?

JBnTX 12-03-2012 23:19

Can't see the forest for the trees, can you?

Is robbing a bank for the money just capitalism too?
What about murdering someone for money?

cowboywannabe 12-03-2012 23:30

its legal as long as the state get their cut of the taxes..... regulated, reported income.....legal six counties in nevada have it.

akroguy 12-03-2012 23:49

When Walmart starts renting Ho's, it would then be safe to say it is now fully into the capitalistic domain.

randrew379 12-03-2012 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroguy (Post 19697965)
When Walmart starts renting Ho's, it would then be safe to say it is now fully into the capitalistic domain.

I want one that's made in China.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Gunhaver 12-04-2012 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19697907)

You really have problems with analogies don't you?

So having sex with someone is the same as bank robbery and murder. It's all good as long as nobody walks away with some money?

aspartz 12-04-2012 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19697907)

In each of you examples, there is a direct victim. In the first the bank, in the second the dead guy.

Who's the victim in prostitution? If both parties are consenting adults there is no victim.

ARS

Gunhaver 12-04-2012 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspartz (Post 19698052)
In each of you examples, there is a direct victim. In the first the bank, in the second the dead guy.

Who's the victim in prostitution? If both parties are consenting adults there is no victim.

ARS

JB has made it clear that he is the only one allowed to give consent. If he doesn't consent to it then it should be verboten.

cowboywannabe 12-04-2012 01:26

Quote:

renting them, no....but they are fracking their employees like one.:rofl:

holesinpaper 12-04-2012 01:56

Item or service offered.
Item or service accepted.
Payment made
Item or service rendered.

Yes Virgin(a), that is capitalism.

TK-421 12-04-2012 02:01

I think prostitution needs to go the route of weed. Legalized, taxed, and put in proper places. Weed has legally run dispensaries, prostitution needs legally run whore houses. Hopefully it would clean up our streets a little bit, and get the pimps and hos off of them.

And I agree with Gunhaver. JB has made it very clear that if he doesn't agree with something, and doesn't think it should happen, then nobody should think it should happen.

DWARREN123 12-04-2012 03:04

Make it legal and tax it and have health checks. It is a business as far as I am concerned.

Gunhaver 12-04-2012 04:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19698169)
JB has made it very clear that if he doesn't agree with something, and doesn't think it should happen, then nobody should think it should happen.

I'm trying to get into his head (know thine enemy and all that) and determine what basis he makes these judgments on. It really doesn't seem to follow any baseline of logic or consistency of beliefs at all. Sex for money is like murder, gays are all pedophiles and animal lovers, just a pick-n-choose process based on his knee jerk reaction to each issue.

But he tends to hide when people attempt to question him too much about his beliefs indicating that even he knows that his views are only thought out enough to be worth spouting and not really thought out enough to be worth defending.

Gunhaver 12-04-2012 06:31

Quote:

They could keep them by the flowers in little climate controlled booths where the other employees can't despise them for making 10X as much money. Or maybe keep them by the ammo shelf to distract the panic buyers and possibly deplete their budgets.

Hyksos 12-04-2012 07:27

What you're referring to is an old concept known as "liberty of contract" that treated a man or woman's "work" as a commodity that they could dispose of as they saw fit. Liberty of contract was killing our labor force during the years leading up to the Great Depression because people could work 12hrs/day or work for whatever wages they agreed to accept.

The implementation of the National Labor Relations Act changed this, as well as many other laws passed at the time. These laws include 40 hour work week and minimum wage laws. Limiting a person's ability to work 12hrs/day for the same wage, or limiting their ability to contract for whatever wage they want, is actually anti-freedom and anti-capitalist, but Congress decided that public policy considerations outweigh these freedoms.

So, in essence, yes prostitution would be a commodity under the liberty of contract theory, but Congress has already said that liberty of contract can be limited by public policy decisions and laws. In this case I would say banning prostitution is a public policy consideration.

Hyksos 12-04-2012 07:30

http://www.cato.org/store/books/libe...ight-hardcover

"This fundamental right was protected by the Supreme Court in the early 20th century, from 1897 until the New Deal, during what is called the "Lochner era." Named after the historic liberty-of-contract decision by the Supreme Court, the Lochner era saw the Court strike down laws that interfered with the freedom of people to bargain over the terms of their own contracts. These included minimum-wage and maximum-hours laws, housing segregation laws, licensing laws and laws interfering with the freedom of parents to determine what kind of schooling their children receive. Then in 1937, as part of the "New Deal revolution," the Court abandoned its protection of these vital economic and personal liberties, contributing significantly to the tremendous growth in the nation's regulatory and welfare state over the past several decades."

Just for your general knowledge regarding freedom of contract and your right to dispose of your labor as you see fit.

JBnTX 12-04-2012 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunhaver (Post 19698268)

But he tends to hide when people attempt to question him too much about his beliefs indicating that even he knows that his views are only thought out enough to be worth spouting and not really thought out enough to be worth defending.

I'm not hiding anything.

It just seems that our society has just given up trying to enforce any concept of good or evil, or right or wrong.

It's not about prostitution, same sex marriage or drug legalization. It's about the fact that no one ever stands up and resists these major changes in our commonly accepted standards of decency and morality.

Whatever perverted or warped concept floats down the river, the American people just bend over and accept it. No one resists anymore for fear of being labeled as some social misfit.

If it becomes a problem, just legalize it and the problem goes away. I'm sorry but the world doesn't work that way.

certifiedfunds 12-04-2012 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19698508)
I'm not hiding anything.

It just seems that our society has just given up trying to enforce any concept of good or evil, or right or wrong.

It's not about prostitution, same sex marriage or drug legalization. It's about the fact that no one ever stands up and resists these major changes in our commonly accepted standards of decency and morality.

Whatever perverted or warped concept floats down the river, the American people just bend over and accept it. No one resists anymore for fear of being labeled as some social misfit.

If it becomes a problem, just legalize it and the problem goes away. I'm sorry but the world doesn't work that way.

JB - how do you feel about dirty raunchy sex between two consenting adults?

Hyksos 12-04-2012 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19698508)

Ending slavery?

Segregation?

Interracial marriage?

Ending prohibition?

You also realize that if I used your analogy, and I said that our problem was "gun violence"...then by your reasoning, legalizing concealed carry and and lessening gun laws wouldn't work.

I'm pretty sure almost every gun owner posting on this forum would say that "legalizing" open carry or concealed carry in deep blue states would most definitely help do away with the problem of gun violence.

Legalizing guns = problem goes away. Sometimes, the world does work that way.

series1811 12-04-2012 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunhaver (Post 19697899)
Seems simple enough. People own their own bodies (but correct me if you believe the government actually owns us all) and people have a right to contract those bodies to do whatever kind of work they are comfortable doing.

I'm not talking about pimps and hos or forced sex trafficking or anything like that. There are obvious victims and other laws being broken. I'm talking about how the supposedly small-government right supports vice laws despite the fact that it clearly flies in the face of capitalism.

So it's OK to have sex with someone you meet, OK to take them out for dinner and a movie and whatever other offerings are needed to seal the deal but once you just take a cash for sex exchange it becomes criminal?

Meet a few prostitutes (not as a client) and get to know the. I've had a few as informants and there is never a happy story about how they got into prostitution. They are usually women who have been sexually victimized their entire life and the prostitution is just the next chapter in that.

People who use prostitutes don't won't to hear about that or think about their role in that. I don't blame them.