Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   1911 Forums (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Want your opinion. (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456073)

glockin-45 12-04-2012 10:55

Want your opinion.
 
Hey guy's and gal's. I have a new TRP, that got scratched on the slide. Bug's the sheet out of me. I have a friend that say's just shoot it and don't worry. If it were just normal wear, maybe i would'nt mind so much? But i think it may have been my seat belt in my truck, not sure? And don't know if that would be considerd normal wear, since i was carrying it? I do not neglect nor abuse my gun's. That being said. My options seem: send slide back to SA, put different finish, leave alone. I like what i hear about NP-3, but not sure i like the color, plus once done, i think that's
all that can be applied? What would you do? (tried to add pic.)

bac1023 12-04-2012 11:30

Which TRP is it?

MD357 12-04-2012 11:44

Scratches happen if you actually use/carry your 1911. If it really bothers you then hand over your mancard and call up Robar, Metaloy, etc.

Jim Watson 12-04-2012 11:57

I am with your friend. Just shoot it. If you carry it, it will get scratched again.

I have only had one gun refinished for appearance and would not do that again.
I sold one kind of rough looking gun to keep from getting into an expensive refurbishing project.

glock2740 12-04-2012 12:19

I'm assuming that it's an AK finished TRP:dunno:If so, I would not waste my time nor money having the same stuff put back on. I'd recommend hardchrome by Metaloy. Best hardchromer in the business. :cool: Hardchrome is some tuff stuff too. :thumbsup:

fnfalman 12-04-2012 13:34

If something were hard enough to scratch through the metal, I don't think an NP3 coating or any coating is going to help.

FullClip 12-04-2012 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD357 (Post 19699252)
Scratches happen if you actually use/carry your 1911. If it really bothers you then hand over your mancard and call up Robar, Metaloy, etc.

:goodpost:


Yep, if you're gonna carry it and gonna shoot it, it will get some scratches and dings. It bites, but is part of life.

I boggered up the slide of my almost brand new Ed Brown by having a knife clipped in my front pocket and using an opened bottom holster one day at the gravel pit. The butt of the knife must of been hitting the slide and wore through the GEN-III finish in quick order. I was bummed out, but no damage to the function of the pistol.

glockin-45 12-04-2012 13:57

Bac, It's the reg, non-rail w/ armory kote. I agree with you guy's, but it bugs me because it's not really a carry gun, so i want it to look nice. I've thought about hard chrome, yet i like black guns. I was given the gun away (sale) but was a God send, the guy did'nt send the money, so ive decided to keep, since every one should have a least one 1911. And i think this is a good one. TKS! for the replies.

glockin-45 12-04-2012 14:17

glock2740, Are not you having one hardchromed, in the near future?

glock2740 12-04-2012 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockin-45 (Post 19699673)
Bac, It's the reg, non-rail w/ armory kote. I agree with you guy's, but it bugs me because it's not really a carry gun, so i want it to look nice. I've thought about hard chrome, yet i like black guns. I was given the gun away (sale) but was a God send, the guy did'nt send the money, so ive decided to keep, since every one should have a least one 1911. And i think this is a good one. TKS! for the replies.

If you like black, I hear good things about Hard Hat and I own a few Melonited guns which have a very durable finish.

ca survivor 12-04-2012 15:30

all my carry guns get scratch, dings, holster wear, its a tool .......

Wil Ufgood 12-04-2012 15:32

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/atta...1&d=1266622906

faawrenchbndr 12-04-2012 15:44

CeraKote in graphite black is outstanding,........I would have it
regfinished in this.

SpringerTGO 12-04-2012 16:02

It's your gun, and if the scratch is bothering you nothing we say will change that. You've done a good job of researching finishes, so go for it.

MStarmer 12-05-2012 10:08

I used to be this way, my first Baer I was obsessed with keeping it pristine. Eventually I sold it as I never carried it. Personally now I think the pics that people post with the finish all worn off from actually shooting and carrying their guns are best looking ones. If you got one scratch you're going to get another one, don't sweat it.

fnfalman 12-05-2012 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by MStarmer (Post 19702567)
I used to be this way, my first Baer I was obsessed with keeping it pristine. Eventually I sold it as I never carried it. Personally now I think the pics that people post with the finish all worn off from actually shooting and carrying their guns are best looking ones. If you got one scratch you're going to get another one, don't sweat it.

Just like a scratch on a brand new car. The first one is painful, the others...not so much.

faawrenchbndr 12-05-2012 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnfalman (Post 19702735)
Just like a scratch on a brand new car. The first one is painful, the others...not so much.

Well stated,......brings it in to perspective nicely!

Travclem 12-05-2012 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAJ (Post 19699944)

:rofl:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.