Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Religious Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Why are atheists wary of Christians/Christianity? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456122)

Kentak 12-04-2012 18:39

Why are atheists wary of Christians/Christianity?
 
Read this post by a GT member, known to you all I'm sure.

I consider the views expressed in this post to be unAmerican and anti-liberty, but typical of the more extreme religious right.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=10

G26S239 12-04-2012 18:47

Actually I generally get along with Christians and I am not bothered about Christmas being a national holiday or Nativity scenes. In London every year the city of Oslo Norway sends a 30' tree that is put up and decorated at Trafalgar Square. It is beautiful. When Christians make really stupid arguments, like one in particular does in this sub fora, it is a bit irritating to read such stupid drivel but I don't hold that against other believers even though I disagree with their beliefs too.

Kentak 12-04-2012 18:50

The Founding Fathers had a chance to establish a Christian theocracy, if that's what they wanted to do. But, they didn't.

"God," "Jesus," or "Christ" isn't mentioned once in the Constitution. Instead, the First Amendment prohibits the federal government from establishing a religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof (religious freedom). And, Article VI states that no religious test shall *ever* be required for any federal or state public office. Please think about that--"no religious test" for public office. What does that say about the FF's attitude about what Jefferson called the wall of separation between church and state.

It's sad that the religious don't realize that wall protects *them* from an overreaching government as well as the non-religious.

kenpoprofessor 12-04-2012 18:50

I have yet to meet one "professed Christian" that has not been a hypocrite. In fact, I usually steer clear of any that tells me they are a Christian, it usually means a knife in my back.:wow:

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Kentak 12-04-2012 19:22

Oh, yeah. Before you ask, I'm even more wary of Muslims, but it's Christians that have the more immediate political clout.

TK-421 12-04-2012 19:47

I honestly have no problems with christians as long as they don't try to discuss their religion with me or try to force their beliefs on me.

JBnTX 12-04-2012 20:39

I agree with every word of Arc Angel's post.

Kentak 12-04-2012 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19701040)
I agree with every word of Arc Angel's post.

I'm sure you do.

TK-421 12-04-2012 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19701040)
I agree with every word of Arc Angel's post.

That sure does say a lot about you, and not anything good either. :rofl:

The only effective way to ensure the public's safety is religion? Yeah, tell that to all the people who have been killed because of religion.

Ten commandments returned to our schools because they're still valid? Since when do people follow the commandments? What about the second commandment, where it specifically says picture of jesus will piss off God?

The bible and guns belong together? Doesn't the bible say love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek if you're accosted? Since when do guns help you love your neighbor or turn the other cheek?

G26S239 12-04-2012 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19701077)

The bible and guns belong together? Doesn't the bible say love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek if you're accosted? Since when do guns help you love your neighbor or turn the other cheek?

Luke 22:36 He that has no sword let him sell his cloak and buy one."

TK-421 12-04-2012 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by G26S239 (Post 19701134)
Luke 22:36 He that has no sword let him sell his cloak and buy one."

But does that mean the sword and the bible go together? No. It just means that Jesus wasn't against them. Just like it doesn't mean that guns and the bible go together.

Cars are mentioned in the Harry Potter books, does that mean they belong together too?

G26S239 12-04-2012 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19701235)
But does that mean the sword and the bible go together? No. It just means that Jesus wasn't against them. Just like it doesn't mean that guns and the bible go together.

Cars are mentioned in the Harry Potter books, does that mean they belong together too?

Yes it does indicate that believers should be armed. It is also consistent with Psalm 149:6-7 "Let the high praise of the Lord be on their lips, and a two edge sword in their hand: To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people:"

BTW Peter allegedly cut off a soldier's ear with a sword.

TK-421 12-04-2012 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by G26S239 (Post 19701298)
Yes it does indicate that believers should be armed. It is also consistent with Psalm 149:6-7 "Let the high praise of the Lord be on their lips, and a two edge sword in their hand: To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people:"

I never said that it mentioned they shouldn't be armed, I just said that I don't believe they necessarily go together, I'm sure there is a better choice of words than "go together".

Besides, that right there proves one of my points about christianity. Christianity isn't about the good of the people, or the good of the world, like so many seem to claim. It's all about the good of the people who agree with christian views. Everybody else be damned for being a non-believing heathen.

Kentak 12-04-2012 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK-421 (Post 19701235)
But does that mean the sword and the bible go together? No. It just means that Jesus wasn't against them. Just like it doesn't mean that guns and the bible go together.

Cars are mentioned in the Harry Potter books, does that mean they belong together too?

My post isn't about the comments regarding the idiot Costas or the pro vs. anti gun stuff. It's about the misrepresentation of atheism and the religious zealotry.

Lone Wolf8634 12-04-2012 22:04

I agree with Arc Angel (Who BTW, currently graces the #1 spot on my List of Insane Individuals) on these points:

1. Bob Costas is an idiot.
2. Guns or any other weapons aren't to blame for violence.

After that....Well, he goes off on an insane tirade about forcing everyone to conform to his religion, which makes a lot of folks wanna do some violence.:whistling:

Generally I get along fine with the few Christians I know. Most already know they don't wanna discuss religion or politics with me, and the few who are too slow to know, really don't like me much anymore.:supergrin:

GreenDrake 12-05-2012 05:54

I'm going to eBay some jackets and get me one of these, since Jesus said so. Water bottles and pigs beware.


Animal Mother 12-05-2012 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19701040)
I agree with every word of Arc Angel's post.

Then could you tell us when exactly the US stopped being a "God-fearing, God-believing, and God-worshipping nation. "?

JBnTX 12-05-2012 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animal Mother (Post 19701994)
Then could you tell us when exactly the US stopped being a "God-fearing, God-believing, and God-worshipping nation. "?


When they kicked God out of the schools and out of public buildings, and when they outlawed the 10 commandments.

Kentak 12-05-2012 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19702017)
When they kicked God out of the schools and out of public buildings, and when they outlawed the 10 commandments.

Really? I mean, really? That's all it took? Taking out those silly little prayers from school did all that? So all that religious teaching and praying at home, all the Sunday school and church services that families attended was negated by taking a prayer out of public schools?

Wow!

JBnTX 12-05-2012 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentak (Post 19702098)
Really? I mean, really? That's all it took? Taking out those silly little prayers from school did all that? So all that religious teaching and praying at home, all the Sunday school and church services that families attended was negated by taking a prayer out of public schools?

Wow!

Yes that's what did it, because it took God out of the children's lives during their most impressionable years. Some children now grow up without God in their lives, and today our society is worse off because of it.

Not allowing the 10 commandments to be posted in public buildings is another factor that has contributed to the downfall of our society.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.