Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   S&W M&P 15-22 blows up??? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456566)

cosmose 12-07-2012 17:28

S&W M&P 15-22 blows up???
 
so I'm out shooting some cci quiets and decide to shoot a few aguila sub-sonic rounds, first few rounds shoot fine then it's like a mini explosion by my head, I'm guessing it fired out of battery??? casing looks real funky, it blowed out a spring and my extractor not sure what else is messed up. thankfully it did not hurt me or my brother. it was LOUD my ears are still ringing.

do you guys have any idea on what happened??
and how do i go about fixing it? I figure on calling or emailing smith and wesson tomorrow http://<a href=http://imageshack.us/...7/img1031p.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img803/5827/img1031p.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img12/857/img1032zf.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img547/1963/img1035s.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img594/2451/img1033w.jpg
http://http://imageshack.us/a/img803/5827/img1031p.jpg

cosmose 12-07-2012 17:30

more pics

http://imageshack.us/a/img600/3039/img1034xi.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img594/2451/img1033w.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img822/7331/img1036p.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img189/1678/img1037ky.jpgunknown parthttp://imageshack.us/a/img9/1033/img1038fa.jpg

VaporLock24 12-07-2012 17:37

man that sucks, i have the same gun, and its been flawless (knock on wood). Smith and Wesson should take care of that, no prob.

I just looked at mine, and your missing the extractor. That might be the broken part.

cosmose 12-07-2012 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaporLock24 (Post 19710882)
man that sucks, i have the same gun, and its been flawless (knock on wood). Smith and Wesson should take care of that, no prob.

I just looked at mine, and your missing the extractor. That might be the broken part.

it's a big bummer just sent an order for new upgrades a few days ago:crying: matter of fact i was testing my new forend grip when it blowed

faawrenchbndr 12-07-2012 17:50

Keep that casing, all parts and the rest of the ammo and packaging.
Contact S&W.....they will take care of you

bikerdog 12-07-2012 20:24

How does the barrel look is there anything that could have obstructed it?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

cosmose 12-07-2012 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdog (Post 19711391)
How does the barrel look is there anything that could have obstructed it?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

The barrel looks fine, I had already shot 10-15 rounds of quiet before the sub-sonics so no obstructions.

GlockPride 12-07-2012 21:52

I thought the super quiets and other types should not be shot out of a rifle?

Since some of the projectiles are powered by priming compound only, they might be subject to not leaving the barrel every time.

collim1 12-07-2012 21:53

Wow, I really wouldn't have thought that little .22 firing out of battery would wipe out the extractor.

Save the casing and the pics to turn over to S&W. They should take care of it.

Is there not a safety measure to prevent firing out of battery in that gun?

cosmose 12-07-2012 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockPride (Post 19711660)
I thought the super quiets and other types should not be shot out of a rifle?

Since some of the projectiles are powered by priming compound only, they might be subject to not leaving the barrel every time.

I was shooting the CCI quiet 22lr 40gr @ 710 fps

Quote:

Originally Posted by collim1 (Post 19711666)
Wow, I really wouldn't have thought that little .22 firing out of battery would wipe out the extractor.

Save the casing and the pics to turn over to S&W. They should take care of it.

Is there not a safety measure to prevent firing out of battery in that gun?

I don't know I thought all guns had them...I'm still not sure what really happened maybe something broke:dunno:

WoodenPlank 12-07-2012 21:58

Yep, OOB discharge. I had it happen once with a .22 conversion kit in an AR-15. It's definitely not a pleasant experience.

Berto 12-07-2012 23:16

In rimfires, it's not unheard of for the extractor to set off the primer while chambering.
Any instance where it 'hit' the rim due to being fouled either under the extractor or at the breech face, a jammed ext spring (holding it down) could be enough to set off the primer.

Bill Keith 12-07-2012 23:54

The Aquila rounds do not have the power necessary to make a semi-auto work properly. I'm surprised your slide was able to function at all to attempt to load one of the powderless bullets.

Cole125 12-07-2012 23:55

Thats a POS anyways...


Get yourself a CMMG .22 lr AR upper, mines never jammed and is more accurate than any of my 10/22s.

mjkeat 12-08-2012 00:40

Yeah, and it doesn't have a bolt hold open which renders it useless as it doesn't keep with the correct manual of arms like the M&P15-22 does. I would trade my CMMG dedicated upper for a M&P15-22 anytime.

Jammed... All of a sudden I'm hungry for a PB&J.

TTM65 12-08-2012 05:05

I would bet that you had a blockage in your barrel.

hogship 12-08-2012 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 19711881)
In rimfires, it's not unheard of for the extractor to set off the primer while chambering.
Any instance where it 'hit' the rim due to being fouled either under the extractor or at the breech face, a jammed ext spring (holding it down) could be enough to set off the primer.

I am thinking similar to Berto........only I suspect the extractor failed first and caused the OOB.

ooc

GlockPride 12-08-2012 06:51

The good news is that S&W customer service is usually very good with shipping and repair gets it fixed quickly.

Good luck. Mine has probably 1500-2000 rounds without issue.

FullClip 12-08-2012 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmose (Post 19711678)
I was shooting the CCI quiet 22lr 40gr @ 710 fps

Check out page 10 of your owners manaul:

Through our testing, Smith & Wesson has also found that there
are several brands and types of .22LR ammunition that do not
perform consistently or reliably. Consequently, Smith & Wesson
DOES NOT RECOMMEND that the following brands or types of
.22LR ammunition be used in your M&P15-22 rifle:
Remington Golden Bullet Remington Thunderbolt
Remington Target 22 Winchester Wildcat
Any and all sub-sonic brands and types


They specifically tell you not to use sub-sonic ammo. bet they will fix it anyway, but if I were the warranty manager, things would be different.:upeyes:

matt_lowry123 12-08-2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullClip (Post 19712523)
Check out page 10 of your owners manaul:

Through our testing, Smith & Wesson has also found that there
are several brands and types of .22LR ammunition that do not
perform consistently or reliably. Consequently, Smith & Wesson
DOES NOT RECOMMEND that the following brands or types of
.22LR ammunition be used in your M&P15-22 rifle:
Remington Golden Bullet Remington Thunderbolt
Remington Target 22 Winchester Wildcat
Any and all sub-sonic brands and types


They specifically tell you not to use sub-sonic ammo. bet they will fix it anyway, but if I were the warranty manager, things would be different.:upeyes:


You'd never know what somebody was shooting, unless they told you.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.