Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heckler & Koch Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   basic maintenence and parts replacement for USP compact (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456619)

Henry's Dad 12-08-2012 01:57

basic maintenence and parts replacement for USP compact

I just picked up a used USP .40 compact LEM (AI, 2008) and was wondering what should be replaced to ensure it is in good working order, as I don't know how "used" it really is.

With used guns, I always throw in a new set of springs just to start fresh, but this is my first HK, so I'm not yet up to speed on the internals.

Anything in particular I should examine? What can/should be replaced as a matter of basic maintenence and for peace of mind?

It has the LEM trigger and safety lever, if that helps in thinking about what might need to be checked, replaced, etc.

Thanks.

PS, I'm led to believe that this config (LEM w/ safety) is somewhat unusual. Is this true? I double checked, and it did come from the factory this way. It is a true LEM and not just DAO. The label on the factory case reads "PISTOL USP .40 COMPACT LEM SAF."

PPS, feel free to offer some night sight recommendations as well. This will be part of my EDC rotation, so think no snag. Thx.

H&K 4 LIFE 12-08-2012 06:57

Maintenance- same as a Glock. Doesn't need heavy lubrication or grease to function properly.

Parts replacements- Most likely unnecessary. The recoil spring is rated for a 20,000+ rounds service life and I have seen many USP's/USPc's go much longer round counts with zero parts replacements. If it doesn't look heavily used then chances are it is no where near the point of needing anything replaced.

I would buy a spare LEM TRS (trigger return spring) just to have one handy.

Night sights- I am fine with the Meprolight Tru-Dots that HK uses as their factory night sight option.

barth 12-08-2012 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by H&K 4 LIFE (Post 19712208)
Maintenance- same as a Glock. Doesn't need heavy lubrication or grease to function properly.

Parts replacements- Most likely unnecessary. The recoil spring is rated for a 20,000+ rounds service life and I have seen many USP's/USPc's go much longer round counts with zero parts replacements. If it doesn't look heavily used then chances are it is no where near the point of needing anything replaced.

I would buy a spare LEM TRS (trigger return spring) just to have one handy.

Night sights- I am fine with the Meprolight Tru-Dots that HK uses as their factory night sight option.

+1
The USP guns are tanks.
99.98% sure all you need is a light lube and ammo.

If you decide to swap the TRS there are several LEM configuration
available adjusting the trigger pull you may want to look into.
All five of my H&K LEM guns have been converted to Light LEM
using factory springs.
Check the HKPro website for information.