Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Glocking (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Recoil Reduction Question (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457137)

Shark1007 12-11-2012 13:02

Recoil Reduction Question

I'm an avid shooter, ex LEO/Military and have herniated cervical disc from a car wreck. Recoil hurts these days. I just had low back fused and will be having neck done soon.

I'm almost 60 and feel strongly about protecting the family, I have CCW and normally carry a Mod 27 with .357 factory barrel or a PM45 Kahr

I've seen mention of Springco and also GlockStore has a tungsten guide rod they claim reduces recoil. I owe a duty to my family and the public to train and be proficient if I carry a weapon and the reduced recoil would be very appreciated, cost is not a big factor, reliability is. If I have to sell a gun to trick out another that won't hurt so bad, I'm game.

What says the group and thank you in advance.

lethal tupperwa 12-11-2012 13:08

9mm will have less recoil that gizmos will give you in a .357

a G19 will feel better.

Shark1007 12-11-2012 13:16

Yes sir, I have a 9mm, but am sort of stuck on .357. Any thoughts?

jay1975 12-11-2012 13:20

9mm in a steel frame.

Noponer 12-11-2012 13:44

Once again... no type of spring or spring gizmo can reduce recoil. It's basic physics. A cartridge producing 400 ft. lbs. will transmit 400 ft. lbs. into your hand, arms, shoulder & back somehow.

The difference is in the way the spring arrangement delivers that energy... all through the slide cycle - or sharply at the end of the cycle - etc. That's the main reason it's usually called "perceived" recoil.

Fortunately, Shark, you may be able to find an arrangement that hurts less... but the same energy will still be there for a given cartridge fired in your gun.

dango 12-11-2012 14:05

357 mag. I might try a little heaver spring to slightly slow down
rear slide impact.

Shark1007 12-11-2012 14:09

Noponer

Thanks, that stuff is beyond me. I'm just like something that wouldn't produce a knife in the neck pain when I shoot. I'll take reduced perceived recoil any day. I'm calling Springco, just talked to GlockStore but wanted to hear the group's professional advice before I jump on something.

As you get older, you realize fist fighting is not an option if backed against the wall with an armed thief.

dango 12-11-2012 14:28

Just wanted to PS you: Had that neck surgery 14 months ago.
6 plates , 12 Titanium screws and it is way weird. If you haven't
done so already , get for sure second opinion. Doctors are people to . Good luck with that and Safe and Happy Holidays to ya ! :wavey:

barth 12-11-2012 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark1007 (Post 19723735)
I'm an avid shooter, ex LEO/Military and have herniated cervical disc from a car wreck. Recoil hurts these days. I just had low back fused and will be having neck done soon.

I'm almost 60 and feel strongly about protecting the family, I have CCW and normally carry a Mod 27 with .357 factory barrel or a PM45 Kahr

I've seen mention of Springco and also GlockStore has a tungsten guide rod they claim reduces recoil. I owe a duty to my family and the public to train and be proficient if I carry a weapon and the reduced recoil would be very appreciated, cost is not a big factor, reliability is. If I have to sell a gun to trick out another that won't hurt so bad, I'm game.

What says the group and thank you in advance.

My HK45C is the softest shooting 45 I've ever fired.
The H&K recoil reduction is for real.

My Sig P239/357 is a soft shooter in that caliber.
A P229 is even better.
And an all stainless P229 Elite has got to be a kitten.

Oh crap I totally forgot - LOL.
I've got a Storm Lake 4.16" extended dual ported 357 Sig barrel
in my G27 that reduced the 357 felt recoil, for me, to 9mm +P levels.
Try a SL ported barrel in your G27-357.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/mya...=true&rs=false

Although I have no personal experience with LW products.
An inexpensive option would be ($124.95)
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...D=1030&CAT=236

dosei 12-11-2012 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark1007 (Post 19723776)
Yes sir, I have a 9mm, but am sort of stuck on .357. Any thoughts?

...get un-stuck.

HGxyz 12-11-2012 16:55

The "get unstuck" advice may be best - the Glock 9mms are great guns with a lot less recoil than the 40s/357s. I have the same carry set up as you, but as I get older, I'm liking my G26 more and more. I saw a Hickok45 video recently where he said he might start carrying the G26 - not because he's old, but because it shoots so damn well.

Maybe a 45? To me the G30 has less recoil than G23/G32. Or the 45 GAPs? I've rented, they shoot great, and the G39 recoil isn't bad.

barth 12-11-2012 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGxyz (Post 19724523)
The "get unstuck" advice may be best - the Glock 9mms are great guns with a lot less recoil than the 40s/357s. I have the same carry set up as you, but as I get older, I'm liking my G26 more and more. I saw a Hickok45 video recently where he said he might start carrying the G26 - not because he's old, but because it shoots so damn well.

Maybe a 45? To me the G30 has less recoil than G23/G32. Or the 45 GAPs? I've rented, they shoot great, and the G39 recoil isn't bad.

I like the 180 sub sonic rounds in sub-compact 40.
The Speer 180 gr GDHP Short Barrel is very soft shooting to me.

You don't have to run hot 155/165 gr rounds in a light 40 handgun.

cciman 12-11-2012 17:03

Silly discussion. Get real.

Wait six months and your discussion will moot. Go get (spend your health money appropriately- it WILL cost more than a silly new gun) an epidural steroid injection, some physical rehab, heating pads, massage therapy, anti-inflammatories, and recover from your injury.

Unless you are military or LEO, You have no "duty" to be able to shoot a 9mm, get a 22 for now. If you are truly "professional", consider workmans comp or disability.

ignantmike 12-11-2012 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cciman (Post 19724552)
Silly discussion. Get real.

Wait six months and your discussion will moot. Go get (spend your health money appropriately- it WILL cost more than a silly new gun) an epidural steroid injection, some physical rehab, heating pads, massage therapy, anti-inflammatories, and recover from your injury.

Unless you are military or LEO, You have no "duty" to be able to shoot a 9mm, get a 22 for now. If you are truly "professional", consider workmans comp or disability.

huh.......:wow:

samurairabbi 12-11-2012 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noponer (Post 19723878)
Once again... no type of spring or spring gizmo can reduce recoil. It's basic physics. A cartridge producing 400 ft. lbs. will transmit 400 ft. lbs. into your hand, arms, shoulder & back somehow.

The difference is in the way the spring arrangement delivers that energy... all through the slide cycle - or sharply at the end of the cycle - etc. That's the main reason it's usually called "perceived" recoil.
n.

MOMENTUM is equal in both directions; ENERGY is not. A heavier gun firing a bullet at equal bullet velocity will have the same recoil momentum as the lighter gun, but will gain less energy. CARRYING the heavier gun will be tougher, but FIRING ot will be easier.

HGxyz 12-11-2012 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by barth (Post 19724545)
I like the 180 sub sonic rounds in sub-compact 40.
The Speer 180 gr GDHP Short Barrel is very soft shooting to me.

You don't have to run hot 155/165 gr rounds in a light 40 handgun.

For sure - I have a .40 ammo (135 grain Win Ranger, various subsonic 180) that shoots softer in my G27 than a lot of my 9mm ammo in my G26. The ballistic performance of those .40 loads is probably worse than the hotter 9mms though (but good enough).

RonS 12-11-2012 17:28

Adding weight to the gun will reduce felt recoil as recoil is a function of the energy of the bullet and gas moving away from the breech face vs the weight of the gun. You can do things with springs to stretch the duration, so you can absorb the recoil energy over a little longer time. I would not expect a huge improvement there.

The problem of course is that you have one of the more energetic cartridges in one of Glocks smallest guns. Not much you can do.

If I were you I would consider a G19 or G26. I suppose you could also do the caliber conversion thing and shoot 9mm in it for a while while you are in the body shop getting your frame straightened and the dents hammered out.

An extended, ported barrel might reduce muzzle rise if you find that is the issue but the recoil energy will be the same, it will just move differently.

You might look into a 4" Smith and Wesson 625 .45 ACP. Bigger and heavier which will reduce recoil, no slide movement which many people cause the gun to feel like it is recoiling less and still a hard hitting gun. You will need a good belt and holster, you ain't pocket carrying that puppy. Load it with 185 grain non +P hollowpoints and you might find it bearable.

24601 12-11-2012 17:47

get a 32C/31C....

i have about 2500 rounds through my primary 32C (i have 2 of them) with a dpm recoil rod (triple spring)...for a .357, it's a 'soft' shooter....

Tazz10m 12-11-2012 18:12

A heavier gun will suck up a lot of the recoil. So, better yet:

Get a Glock 20 or 29 10mm and shoot subsonic loads. Also, extend the magazine and add more rounds. Heavier rounds will help suck up more recoil. So, if you go with a G29 and use an A&G grip extender on G20 mags, add a +4 extender to the bottom, the weight in the mag works like a counterbalance and sucks up a bunch of recoil. The recoil has to get past all that weight in the gun before it gets to you. Also with the lighter G29 slide, you have less weight moving in the slide so less recoil when the slide hits the slide stop. My G29 with only the 10 round mag is MUCH less "snappy" with recoil than a G27 is. Also, if you want, you can get .40 cal barrels and shoot light .40's if you want to take advantage of all the .40 ammo out there. Also, using an AGrip will also prevent some of the recoil from being transferred down your arm. (Not trying to spam the board here, it's just true.)

http://brookstactical.com/media/TazzG29cmoB.jpg

rdstrain49 12-11-2012 18:19

Shark, PM sent