Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strength & Conditioning (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   New short routine..... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461419)

BCR 01-01-2013 09:08

New short routine.....

Just to keep some fresh stuff in this forum.

Been doing this for about a month or so now and really like it. I've had the idea floating around in my head for a long time, and seeing CalJack do his abbreviated 5/3/1 routine pushed me in this direction.

I feel much better overall. Not beat up and tired. And the best part is I'm dying to lift. Before it was becoming somewhat of a chore.

Here's the plan:

Mon - Deadlifts and Rows
Wed - Bench and dips (or skullcrushers)
Fri - Squats and Curls
Sun - Seated overhead press and calves

So I only do 2 lifts a day. Like when I say rows, I don't mean bent rows, then dumbbell rows, then machine rows. Its ONE rowing movement.

I do atleast 5 sets on all lifts, but not more than 10 sets.

For the main lifts I usually do 5 reps or less, sometimes 8.

For the assistance lifts its unlimited. I was doing reps between 5 - 30.

If you borrow this routine, you must mail me a check for $4.99. Every week. :tongueout:

California Jack 01-01-2013 10:16

Good luck. It was really working for me until I got injured. Not due to the abbreviated 5-3-1. Just old joints.

Detectorist 01-02-2013 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCR (Post 19805952)
Just to keep some fresh stuff in this forum.

Been doing this for about a month or so now and really like it. I've had the idea floating around in my head for a long time, and seeing CalJack do his abbreviated 5/3/1 routine pushed me in this direction.

I feel much better overall. Not beat up and tired. And the best part is I'm dying to lift. Before it was becoming somewhat of a chore.

Here's the plan:

Mon - Deadlifts and Rows
Wed - Bench and dips (or skullcrushers)
Fri - Squats and Curls
Sun - Seated overhead press and calves

So I only do 2 lifts a day. Like when I say rows, I don't mean bent rows, then dumbbell rows, then machine rows. Its ONE rowing movement.

I do atleast 5 sets on all lifts, but not more than 10 sets.

For the main lifts I usually do 5 reps or less, sometimes 8.

For the assistance lifts its unlimited. I was doing reps between 5 - 30.

If you borrow this routine, you must mail me a check for $4.99. Every week. :tongueout:

I like that schedule.

TurboRocket 01-05-2013 09:53

Happy New Year, guys.

I'm lazy... mine is even more "abbreviated".

For strength training in 2012, I messed around with ball-sits, Stronglifts, 5/3/1 with a concentrated effort of BBB. Nothing was really working. I was either pissed off at myself doing ball-sits too long, could not find enough time to consistently do Stronglifts, couldn't viably finish full 531-BBB workouts, or found some way to pull a mangina muscle. In Q3, I added more combatives training to the schedule. So in Q4, I way simplified my strength training to my version of 5/3/1, which is just:

-Sat or Sun squat and press (rows for assistance)
-Wed deads and bench
- sprinkle in of rope work for conditioning throughout the week, and GTG pull-ups.

For me, the beauty (occasionally, the bane) of 5/3/1 is the + set.

On a high-motivation week, I get 8 full hours of combatives, so I only have a limited time to truly dedicate for strength training. The older body doesn't recover like it used to, so I have to take what I can get.

So in 2013, I plan on doing 3 cycles of simplified 5/3/1, then testing for 1-rep maxes. Rinse and repeat to get this 3-4 times by year's end, hopefully.

California Jack 01-05-2013 15:05

sounds like a good plan Michael.