Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tactical Shotguns (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   ugh..more brand new 590a1 issues!!! (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465934)

snatiep 01-19-2013 13:47

ugh..more brand new 590a1 issues!!!

Well I fixed the broken locking block pin in my brand new, never been fired 590a1 and am having another issue.

The shotgun has not yet been fired.

I disassembled it this morning to clean and oil the shotgun. After reassembly, I racked the slide a bunch of times. When I rack the slide rearward forcefully, it will stick back and I have to push forward pretty hard to get it to slide forward.

Any thoughts what the issue is? Do I just have to rack the snot out of it to loosen it up? Or shoot it a bunch to break the gun in?

I'm starting to have second thoughts about buying this headache of a shotgun?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

jakebrake 01-19-2013 13:58

not to be a creep.....

but.

something was bent during re-assembly, or is in wrong. i have gutted my mossys over the years with no ill effects.

there is something very wrong to cause that.

internal rails come to mind.

FullClip 01-19-2013 14:04

I've had a few Mossberg pumps and presently have a 590...and never a problem. How "forcefully" are you racking the slide? While shooting you'll just need to eject the spent shell and chamber a new one. No need to slam it back and forth on an empty chamber.
Why not shoot it and see what force this take to accomplish before "racking the snot out of it"? Think you'll be surprised what little effort it takes.

jakebrake 01-19-2013 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullClip (Post 19885532)
I've had a few Mossberg pumps and presently have a 590...and never a problem. How "forcefully" are you racking the slide? While shooting you'll just need to eject the spent shell and chamber a new one. No need to slam it back and forth on an empty chamber.
Why not shoot it and see what force this take to accomplish before "racking the snot out of it"? Think you'll be surprised what little effort it takes.

it shouldn't take that kinda force. im betting he bent the rails.

snatiep 01-19-2013 14:07

Thanks for the comments.

When I disassembled then reassembled the shotgun everything went back together fine, so I don't believe anything got bent. I didn't have to force anything during assembly.

snatiep 01-19-2013 14:19

I think the issue is the elevator causing the action to get stuck back.

I just disassembled the shotgun again and put it back together but I left the elevator out and the gun cycles smoothly. It doesn't hang up.

What do you think the fix is? A new elevator?

method 01-19-2013 14:32

Was it doing this before you disassembled it the first time?

snatiep 01-19-2013 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by method (Post 19885636)
Was it doing this before you disassembled it the first time?

Yes it was.

This is driving me nuts. I'm just going to call Mossberg Monday morning and tell them I'm sending it back to them to be fixed.

A brand new gun shouldn't come with a broken bolt lock pin and this sticking action issue.

snatiep 01-19-2013 15:45

Also, If I try to unload the shotgun using the manuals instructions of pressing in on the cartridge stop, the shot shell will pop out a 1/4 inch or so then hits the elevator and won't go any further.

WoodenPlank 01-19-2013 22:06

OP, I would strongly suggest you contact Mossberg for assistance.

snatiep 01-19-2013 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodenPlank (Post 19887449)
OP, I would strongly suggest you contact Mossberg for assistance.

Yup, I'm going to call them first thing Monday morning and have it shipped back to them to be fixed.

Too bad a brand new shotgun has to go back to have warranty work done, but I'm sure the problem will be taken care of.

Bullman 01-20-2013 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by snatiep (Post 19885857)
Also, If I try to unload the shotgun using the manuals instructions of pressing in on the cartridge stop, the shot shell will pop out a 1/4 inch or so then hits the elevator and won't go any further.

If you hold the shotgun with the barrel to the sky and the action is dead, sometimes the fore end will allow the action to slip back just far enough for this condition to happen, at least that has happened to me in the past. Not that big an issue, just hold the shotgun barrel down.

fuzzy03cls 01-22-2013 08:48

Mines always been a bit hard to rack. My reach though is short so I have to rack it at the very back of the pump. I have short arms. Sometimes the action gets a bit hard.
It's actually a PITA to shoot for me. This may be an issue your having. Some people are not built for shotguns.