Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 10 Ring (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   7 rds of 10mm or 7rds of 45 cap (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466202)

sgtbones 01-20-2013 13:49

7 rds of 10mm or 7rds of 45 cap
 
Because of the new draconian laws of NYS if you were told you can have only 7rd in your mag, would you carry 7rds in a glock 20 or 29, or would you go to a 1911 platform in 45 cap because you can get 7 rd mags for them. Also stuck here for now exit plan in motion after retirement 12-31-13.

Gun Shark 01-20-2013 13:50

I would probably get an XDs in .45

I don't like glocks so with your criteria I would go with a 1911 platform in .45 if I could afford it.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

DrtyHarry 01-20-2013 13:55

If I could only carry 7 rounds, I would carry a 1911....but I always carry a 1911 any way.

And since I believe the 1911 is a more reliable platform in .45acp than 10mm...I would carry one chambered in .45. I love my G20...but that's more for the woods and it's a lot beefier than a single stack 1911. IMHO.




DH

gator378 01-20-2013 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtbones (Post 19889693)
Because of the new draconian laws of NYS if you were told you can have only 7rd in your mag, would you carry 7rds in a glock 20 or 29, or would you go to a 1911 platform in 45 cap because you can get 7 rd mags for them. Also stuck here for now exit plan in motion after retirement 12-31-13.

I have a glock 20 and 21. If limited to 7 rounds, I would consider going to a version of the S&W 629. 44 Mag. The 44 Mag is still one of my favorite calibers and I love shooting it more than my other calibers.

sgtbones 01-20-2013 14:26

I have a g20 21 29 and 30, wilson 1911 cqb, pro, and officers model.

DrtyHarry 01-20-2013 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtbones (Post 19889824)
I have a g20 21 29 and 30, wilson 1911 cqb, pro, and officers model.

Nice! My CQB TAC LE is my EDC....and my most accurate handgun that I own. I'd carry that over any of the others you listed....unless you go out in the woods, that's for the 20/29. IMHO!




DH

markerbeacon 01-20-2013 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtbones (Post 19889693)
Because of the new draconian laws of NYS if you were told you can have only 7rd in your mag, would you carry 7rds in a glock 20 or 29, or would you go to a 1911 platform in 45 cap because you can get 7 rd mags for them. Also stuck here for now exit plan in motion after retirement 12-31-13.

10mm, no question. Read up here: http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id7.html

Meathead9 01-20-2013 15:56

Which one can you shoot faster, with aproximately the same accuracy? That should answer your question.

sgtbones 01-20-2013 17:03

At combat distance I can hit with all of them, but with the power of the 10mm would one hit be like hitting em twice with the 45, Just trying to get opinions, I am not a know it all. Plus this makes for good discussion.

Meathead9 01-20-2013 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtbones (Post 19890455)
At combat distance I can hit with all of them, but with the power of the 10mm would one hit be like hitting em twice with the 45, Just trying to get opinions, I am not a know it all. Plus this makes for good discussion.

The Bill Drill works best with a shot timer, but a buddy with a stopwatch might do ok. Tape or staple a paper plate to a silhouette target. Load up 6rds in each gun, draw from the holster and shoot all 6 as fast as you can controllably place the shots. It will work best if you shoot the 2 guns on separate days, because the following drills will likely continue to improve regardless of the gun. The whole "stopping power" deal is a misnomer with handguns & you'll likely need follow up shots no matter what caliber you're shooting. As long as they're all on the paper plate, the gun you shoot fastest wins. When in doubt, go with the 45 due to ammo (or brass) availability.

blackgun556 01-20-2013 20:07

1911 10mm

countrygun 01-20-2013 20:11

AS a practical matter if you are strictly concerned with close range SD, I'd go with the .45. For me and my situation I'd go 10mm

sgtbones 01-20-2013 20:17

Sounds good Brother.

Opie 1 Kenopie 01-20-2013 20:55

So, are New Yorkers allowed 7 in the magazine AND 1 in the pipe? Or seven rounds onboard TOTAL? I guess I might switch over to carrying a 1911 if I lived in NY. But the even my 8 round Wilson mags would be illegal! WTH?!?! Thank you New York, you make California look just a little more normal.

DrtyHarry 01-20-2013 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie (Post 19891417)
So, are New Yorkers allowed 7 in the magazine AND 1 in the pipe? Or seven rounds onboard TOTAL? I guess I might switch over to carrying a 1911 if I lived in NY. But the even my 8 round Wilson mags would be illegal! WTH?!?! Thank you New York, you make California look just a little more normal.

I think you would be able to keep the 8 round Wilsons, you just won't be able to load it with 8 rounds, only 7. And if I'm not mistaken, one in the pipe does not count as one of the 7. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.




DH

sgtbones 01-21-2013 05:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie (Post 19891417)
So, are New Yorkers allowed 7 in the magazine AND 1 in the pipe? Or seven rounds onboard TOTAL? I guess I might switch over to carrying a 1911 if I lived in NY. But the even my 8 round Wilson mags would be illegal! WTH?!?! Thank you New York, you make California look just a little more normal.

7rds in a 10 or 8rd mag is legal as long as you owned them before the silly ban. One in the pipe does not count, the 7rd starts april 15th 2013. They did not bother to exempt LEO's and
retired LEO's.

ca survivor 01-21-2013 06:48

I would wait and see what's going to be in my state.

Meathead9 01-21-2013 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtbones (Post 19892182)
7rds in a 10 or 8rd mag is legal as long as you owned them before the silly ban. One in the pipe does not count, the 7rd starts april 15th 2013. they did not bother to exempt leo's and
retired leo's.

are you fu€€ing kidding me?!?!?

DrtyHarry 01-21-2013 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meathead9 (Post 19892771)
are you fu€€ing kidding me?!?!?

My brother is a LEO in the Bronx and at first he didn't think this law would apply to him....but in fact it does. I can't believe that Chomo wants to take these rights away from off duty and retired LEOs.

This part of this ridiculous legislature simply makes the public less safe. Why can't responsible and trained LEOs who are off duty or retired not allowed to carry whatever the hell they want? I'm in awe with how how messed up in the head Chomo is....he just made NY a more dangerous place to live. Hope they get rid of him ASAP!




DH

sgtbones 01-21-2013 14:24

Harry I'am an LEO, I called the NYS police firearms division the trooper on the other end answered my question about the 7rd mag count and laughed that she was breaking the law. Those bozos did not bother to exempt LEO's. FOP is working to HR 218 amended so the mag ban would not effect LEO's.

HiVel 01-21-2013 14:42

I hate New York! remember the I love NY deal?? Thes folks are nuts-do not go there!

number1gun 01-21-2013 14:47

I love 10mm. Real 10mm= hand cannon. However for SD I would use down loaded 10mm due to recoil issues. You can still get 450-500ft/lbs of energy from a down loaded 10mm which is just about where most people draw the line on recoil comfort. That would be about the same as a 155gr .40S&W or a 185gr .45. IMO you should pick which ever you find most comfortable and you are going to find .45 much easier than 10mm. Good luck.

sgtbones 01-21-2013 15:18

This truly sucks I have some underwood 180 gr de loads. And of course I have 3 Wilson Combats. 2 of them only like Golden saber jhp's.

DrtyHarry 01-21-2013 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtbones (Post 19893942)
Harry I'am an LEO, I called the NYS police firearms division the trooper on the other end answered my question about the 7rd mag count and laughed that she was breaking the law. Those bozos did not bother to exempt LEO's. FOP is working to HR 218 amended so the mag ban would not effect LEO's.

I really can't believe it....told my bro to go pick himself up a 1911 to carry off duty, but he's not sure if he can even do that. I THINK he said he has to pick between Glock and Sig....he used to wear a Kahr off duty, but he is no longer allowed to (for a while now....not sure what the reason was).

Before you know it, CHomo is going to arm all LEOs with slingshots in NY.

http://www.rationalityrebooted.com/2...ts-police.html



DH

sgtbones 01-21-2013 16:53

Well legally he is covered under HR 218 but he might get flack from his dept. I'am federal, no flack from dept but you are on your own. If this does not change back to 2 1911's.:cool:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:11.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.