Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   where is all the .22 LR ammo? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467647)

C/O-RC 01-26-2013 21:16

where is all the .22 LR ammo?

my google-Fu is weak and i cant find any. Looking for good quality something like CCI mini for my new pistol break in. THANKS!

4 glocks 01-26-2013 21:27

I was at a Gun show in NC today. 22lr was selling like gold.
100 rd box of cci mini mag selling for $20. One dealer was asking $70 for a box of Fed 550 that Walmart sells for $20.

Now is not the time to be buying 22lr.

Faulkner 01-26-2013 21:33

There are two types of shooters right now; There are those who stocked up over time on ammo when it was in low demand and readily plentiful. These people are referred to as "prepared".

The second group are those who didn't recognize that our leftist President was biding his time just waiting for the right political moment to unleash his anti-gun agenda. These same people assumed guns and ammo would always be available at their local gun store or Walmart and didn't set any back for a rainy day. These people are referred to as "unprepared."

So, to answer your question, .22 ammo manufacturers can't make it fast enough to keep pace of the buying frenzie of the unprepared people. The prepared people already have their ammo.

C/O-RC 01-26-2013 21:50

I get that now isnt the right time to buy .22 but i never had a .22 before. Is anyone online selling any at a not so crazy price?

Caver 60 01-26-2013 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faulkner (Post 19915567)
There are two types of shooters right now; There are those who stocked up over time on ammo when it was in low demand and readily plentiful. These people are referred to as "prepared".

The second group are those who didn't recognize that our leftist President was biding his time just waiting for the right political moment to unleash his anti-gun agenda. These same people assumed guns and ammo would always be available at their local gun store or Walmart and didn't set any back for a rainy day. These people are referred to as "unprepared."

So, to answer your question, .22 ammo manufacturers can't make it fast enough to keep pace of the buying frenzie of the unprepared people. The prepared people already have their ammo.

You got that correct. Right now it's hard enough to replace what you shoot up each range session.

But there is a certain stock level I will not go below, even if I have to quit shooting that caliber for awhile. Hint the number is in the thousands for each common caliber.

jmarkt 01-26-2013 21:55

Well

I am what u would call prepared, but i am still buying when I find it at decent price.:embarassed:

GAFinch 01-26-2013 22:03

I was at Academy today and, aside from the usual ammo shortage, every single box of shotgun ammo was sold out...slugs, buckshot, birdshot, target...everything. The random hunting calibers were even getting thinned out. Simply amazing.

Nakanokalronin 01-27-2013 02:55

Right now, 22lr is not a cheap plinking caliber anymore. I have a decent stock of it, but I really don't like shooting as much right now with the constant panic buying.

M2 Carbine 01-27-2013 05:06

Quote:

These people are referred to as "unprepared."
Since the last (klinton) gun and ammo shortage a bunch of us shooters have been trying to convince shooters to stock up at least a years worth of ammo and/or start reloading.

I guarantee that when ammo becomes available again most shooters will still not stock up.:upeyes:

The ones I feel sorry for are like the two ladies I'm currently teaching to shoot. They didn't have time to prepare.
One just bought a AR a couple days before the bottom fell out, so she didn't have time to get any .223 ammo.

Both ladies can't find 22LR anywhere, so today I'll give them a couple thousand rounds of 22 and some hundreds of rounds of .223 and .380 reloads.

BUT, I told them, since recently I tore both my shoulders I can't run the loading press (or shoot) they will have to learn to reload their own .223 and .380.

They are looking forward to it.:)

schild 01-27-2013 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2 Carbine (Post 19916342)
Since the last (klinton) gun and ammo shortage a bunch of us shooters have been trying to convince shooters to stock up at least a years worth of ammo and/or start reloading.

I guarantee that when ammo becomes available again most shooters will still not stock up.:upeyes:

As usual I agree with M2. I love the people who throw around the label of hoarder.

DonD 01-27-2013 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmarkt (Post 19915638)
I am what u would call prepared, but i am still buying when I find it at decent price.:embarassed:

That's the right attitude and as another poster said, if the craziness continues which I doubt, I'll stop shooting when I reach a certain number.

Not likely to happen in my case. I bought quite a bit prior to the Obozo's reelection but wondered if I shouldn't have purchased even more. Don

DonD 01-27-2013 08:11

I do have real sympathy though for someone who may not have been very knowledgeable about things like the panic buying after Obummer's first election and buys their first gun or whatever and now can't find ammo to shoot in it. Don

mojohanna 01-27-2013 08:17

just picked up a box of CCI 500 rds for $35. LGS had plenty more.

Nakanokalronin 01-27-2013 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojohanna (Post 19916684)

I would of bought a few more than. I've been preparing since 2004, but ammo is a consumable for anyone who actually shoots regularly.

Steel Head 01-27-2013 08:51

Quote:

I shoot 22 A LOT-I got a screaming deal on CCI blazer a few years ago so I stocked up-I'm sittin pretty for a while:supergrin:

The_Gun_Guru 01-27-2013 09:02

Quote:

a couple years ago I bought a 5000 round case of Centurion for 160 dollars. I probably have about 8000 rounds total of 22 right now.

it's all about being prepared :-)

TGG

onearmsteve 01-27-2013 09:08

try ammoseek.com to search the web for the best price

Faulkner 01-27-2013 09:11

I'll not say how much I have on hand but I've not cut back on my weekly shooting and I'm not worried about running out.

DonD 01-27-2013 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojohanna (Post 19916684)

That's a ripoff but sometimes you have no other options. Don

aircarver 01-27-2013 09:12

... So, I suppose the days of 'a penny apiece' are gone ? ... :shocked:

:outtahere::supergrin: