Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Ok are they worth it... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468381)

Deaf Smith 01-29-2013 21:45

Ok are they worth it...

Spotted a S&W PPK .380, stainless. $399 is asking price along with Uncle Sam's tacked on tax.

Also a Colt Cobra, nickle, 3ed gen (last ones) for $500, flat.

So are they worth it? I know about the S&W PPK callbacks but is it a reliable piece?

Thanks,

Deaf

countrygun 01-29-2013 21:52

If it were me, I'd buy the Colt and tell myself that it paid for itself with the money I didn't spend on the PPK. 30 years ago my friends and I tried out the PPK and figured it to be one of the most over rated guns of the day. That is not just the S&W issue, but design wise. Accuracy was mediocre, hammer and slide bite were too easy to arrange, etc. today there are better .380s and other choices in the same genre.

The Colt is a better gun.

vantage 01-29-2013 22:46

Mine has been perfect, easily worth $400. http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/10/ppkxm5.jpg

RJ's Guns 01-29-2013 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by countrygun (Post 19927870)
If it were me, I'd buy the Colt and tell myself that it paid for itself with the money I didn't spend on the PPK. 30 years ago my friends and I tried out the PPK and figured it to be one of the most over rated guns of the day. That is not just the S&W issue, but design wise. Accuracy was mediocre, hammer and slide bite were too easy to arrange, etc. today there are better .380s and other choices in the same genre.

The Colt is a better gun.

I agree with all of your points.

I have a nickel-plated Cobra and it is a very nice revolver. If I could replace it easily, I would carry it in my coat pocket, instead of an S&W J frame.

I would pass on the PPK.

RJ

Glock40man 01-30-2013 01:06

The S&W PPK that I had, was 100% reliable and, very accurate. But, I'd probably buy the Colt.

Berto 01-30-2013 02:28

Deaf is a Colt agent kinda guy....I can't see you getting a PPK.:supergrin:

DustyJacket 01-30-2013 02:31

I'd buy both.
I carried a S&W PPK for years. 100% reliable.

The older Interarms PPK/S were jamb-o-matics (at least the 2 I had were).

However, I have reverted back to my days in the 70s and 80s, and now carry a revolver.

ence my answer for both.

bac1023 01-30-2013 02:36

My S&W PPK has been 100% reliable, but nowadays I'd only buy a German model built by Walther.

ca survivor 01-30-2013 11:29

My S&W PPKs has been reliable.

ancient_serpent 01-30-2013 11:33

Have a S&W PPK/S .380, only have about 300 rounds through it or so. Been reliable for the time I have shot it...

fnfalman 01-30-2013 11:43

I'd say yes to the Cobra and if you don't want it, PM me the shop's contact info.

bignuglyone 01-30-2013 12:25

I wouldn't even consider the PPK. I've had too many bad experiences with the Interarms guns. The short butt Cobra can be fitted with Agent stocks making it as much a pocket gun as a J Frame Smith.

Give the Cobra a thorough look for frame cracks. I traded off a really nice nickel Cobra with the shrouded barrel a couple years ago. Big mistake. $500 is about $100 less than the going rate assuming it's a nice gun. There's a little confusion about the number of gens. in my mind. I'm thinking a 3rd gen Cobra would be a short butt with shrouded barrel while a comparable DS would be a gen 4? Some say that DS's actually have 5 gens, with a minor change around 1950.

vtducrider 01-30-2013 12:53

I liked the PPK/S before it was made by Smith and Wesson. That being said, it lost the appeals to me when I finally got a Seecamp in 380. But that's just me. There is a big following for this classic gun for sure. So I would get the Colt Cobra if the choices were presented to me.

Deaf Smith 01-30-2013 18:51

Ok game plan.

The Cobra seller will meet with me soon. I'll inspect it very carefully! No flaking nickle, tight, locks on all chambers, no scratches. Yea then I'd spring for it.

I have the S&W PPK callback list and if it's one of those I'd pass. If on second look it looks good (it DOES have scratches) then I'll offer less and see if they bite. I've owned several PPKs and PPs and yes they bit the hand that fed them. But the S&W has a good long tang and it looks like it won't bite me.

I do have the cash so I can maybe get a good deal done by this weekend.

Now I have a 2nd gen Dick, factory nickle, and it sleeps in the safe. And I also bet the Cobra is NOT TO BE SHOT WITH +P! So I'll make an investment out of it (hahaha you know what my wife thinks of that, right?)

And the PPK I can take all the scratches out with my combo superfine steel wool and stainless polish. I'm also pretty sure I can't make that DA pull lighter, and that is why the 'James Bond' shtick has always been stupid to me.

Find out in a few days guys.

Deaf

deputy tom 01-30-2013 18:59

Deaf, you do what you want but I'm a dyed in the wool James Bond fan. A Walther,yes but that S&W doesn't cut it IMHO. Between the two I'd buy the Cobra. YMMV. tom.:cool:

donmor53 01-30-2013 20:42

Buy the Colt.

If it's in good shape it's the only one that will appreciate in price if properly cared for.

PPKs are vastly overated IMO unless you have really small hands. We bought my wife one and initially it was great. That is until the first time the slide got her when she didn't pay close attention to her grip position. With that...out the door it went... :wavey:

wilsoni91 01-31-2013 12:33

I carry a PPK/S and I love it. I only paid $270 for mine and think it was a deal and a half. I have not had a single problem with mine since the day that I brought it home and carry it every day at work.

FullClip 01-31-2013 12:39

I've had a few jams with my S&W made Walther, but think it was due to the cheap ammo. (PMC Hardball) No problems with the Hornady loads I use for carry. I don't reload for it (yet...:supergrin:) but not a bad pistol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/FullClip/PPK.jpg

However...given the choice...I'd go for the Colt for sure.:supergrin:

Pier23 01-31-2013 12:54

It took me three tries to get a properly functioning SmithWalther, but it works well.

If you are interested in the PPK, it is because of the beauty of the weapon, the Bond mystique and that not that many people have one.

Arguably, the Sig P220 is what the PPK should be.

Get the PPK if you want a PPK.

Deaf Smith 01-31-2013 18:03

Ok the PPK was one of the first call backs and has the strike on the inside of the tang showing it was repaired.. Will think about it as I tried a Beretta Nano (about same price) and hey, they are good.

The Colt Cobra had some nickle flaking at the grips edge so I passed. It had high serial number and one of the last ones made.

Deaf