Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Walther P99 falling apart (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468636)

ADK_40GLKr 01-30-2013 23:02

Walther P99 falling apart

A new guy at the gun club tonight had a P99 (40 cal?)

Before he finished Stage 1, his magazine came apart and dumped it's contents at his feet. After 2 more shots, the second one did as well. It looked like a rail holding the floor plate sheared off, allowing spring, cartridges, and mag parts to fall out, in both cases.

Is this a common problem with Walthers?

DAIadvisor 01-30-2013 23:40

I can't comment on P99 - but I did have a P22 which has some weird issues as well. The trigger wouldn't cock all the way in DA mode, and fall about half way up. Needless to say, kinda turned me off Walthers in general.

*ASH* 01-31-2013 00:12

JUST got a ppq in 40 2 weeks ago , not one problem . sweet trigger as well .

Tiro Fijo 01-31-2013 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr (Post 19932005)
A new guy at the gun club tonight had a P99 (40 cal?)

Before he finished Stage 1, his magazine came apart and dumped it's contents at his feet. After 2 more shots, the second one did as well. It looked like a rail holding the floor plate sheared off, allowing spring, cartridges, and mag parts to fall out, in both cases.

Is this a common problem with Walthers?

A. Your title is totally misleading as Mecgar makes Walther mags

B. Mecgar mags are superb

C. Sounds to me like he had disassembled his mags recently for cleaning and didn't resassemble them correctly or he has monkeyed with the mags.

fnfalman 01-31-2013 08:41

I have three Tripp Research Cobra mags (supposedly the best in the industry) that lost the base plates while I was shooting some hot loads through my Delta Elite. Got them replaced by Tripp Research, took them out and one of them puked the guts.

So, don't feel too lonely.

ADK_40GLKr 01-31-2013 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo (Post 19932282)
A. Your title is totally misleading as Mecgar makes Walther mags

B. Mecgar mags are superb

C. Sounds to me like he had disassembled his mags recently for cleaning and didn't resassemble them correctly or he has monkeyed with the mags.

Yeah, why would 2 mags fall apart at the same time unless there'd been some amateur gunsmithing going on?

Oh, and FNFAL, he was using WWB HP and Am Eagle FMJ, factory ammo. One mag he had was supposed to fit, but a cutout in the edge was in the wrong place, and wouldn't lock into the gun.

:dunno:

I always thought if I cheated on Glock, it'd be with a Walther, but I'm having 2nd thoughts.

fastbolt 01-31-2013 12:05

How old are the P99 mags?

Back in the early 2000's there was a revision to the 12-rd .40 mag butt plates due to similar breakage that occurred in some LE guns, mostly when the mags were being dropped onto hard surfaces (like concrete).

Of course, hitting the bottom of a duty weapon's grip frame against hard objects, especially carried in an exposed holster, has resulted in damage to mag butt/floor plates over the years, as well.

As I recall, Walther had Mec-Gar change the butt plate of the 99 series hi-cap mags to make it more resistant to that sort of impact damage. (The 10-rd butt plates are already pretty thick.)

This sort of thing isn't exactly unknown among firearm manufacturers who make LE/Gov service pistols, though, and other manufacturers have experienced it upon occasion. I remember when some LE Sig shooters were having breakage issues with old style mag butt plates, when they were being dropped during training/quals, for example.

I haven't experienced that sort of damage while training, practicing & qualifying with either my issued SW9940 (when I carried one for a few years) or my personally-owned SW99's, but then the agency range I typically use has a soft sand surface. I was lucky when using some outside agency outdoor ranges for field training, as most of the range surfaces were grass or soft dirt, but there were also a few with concrete and gravel surfaces. Those are hard on mags and their butt/floor plates.

Pier23 01-31-2013 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ASH* (Post 19932166)
JUST got a ppq in 40 2 weeks ago , not one problem . sweet trigger as well .

It IS a lovely piece, isn't it???