Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Sig Sauer Club (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Why aren't Sigs more popular? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1468997)

GlennS 02-01-2013 15:27

Why aren't Sigs more popular?
 
Here in North Alabama Sig pistols aren't looked on very highly. They are top of the line guns, easy to work on, easy to fire. The only drawback I have is the shape of the grips, hard to get a really high hold with the thumbs high like on a 1911. I have the P220, P225, P226, P228 and P229. For the 40 S&W's I have 357 Sig barrels. I consider the Sigs to be the best guns I have. Why have they not caught on any better then they have?

9mm +p+ 02-01-2013 19:25

Ummmm, they are despite the fact that most are just in total lust over glocks. Serious folks run HK's and SIG's, don't get me wrong I've had glocks and never had an issue one but I prefer HK's and SIG's over glocks. Price probably has something to do with it as well, SIG's are not cheap, most people feel $600 on a gun that always works is smarter than $900 on a gun that always works. I prefer the feel of SIG and HK for that matter, I also like the quality of both of them over and above any glock that I've had or shot.

pineappleshooter 02-01-2013 19:30

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:wow:

ditto1958 02-01-2013 20:00

Yep, they're kinda pricey. Really nice, though.

DonGlock26 02-02-2013 06:34

They've had QC issues over the last few years, the long DA trigger isn't really popular with people who started out with Glock's 5lbs trigger, the blued finish could rust, they are heavier and bulkier than a Glock, and they need more TLC.

Even many Sig fans will CCW a Glock.

soflasmg 02-02-2013 06:54

Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

2-8 Marine 02-02-2013 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pineappleshooter (Post 19938862)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:wow:


I love Sigs and own four but this would be my answer for sure. :supergrin:

SevenSixtyTwo 02-02-2013 08:56

We own two Sigs. They're pricey no doubt but high quality in my opinion. Love the looks. The only turn off for me is every time I say or hear sig, I can't help but think of some drunk divorcee bar-fly at the local piano bar asking for a cigarette. From there it just goes sour.

LuvDog 02-02-2013 09:05

Ditto the $$$$$$ aspect.

Brian Lee 02-02-2013 13:12

Price. Simple as that. And the strategy of giving special deals to police departments making bulk purchases. Town governments are not going to let police departments spend taxpayer bucks on anything that's a penny more expensive than it absolutely has to be, so they buy the cheapest thing that seems fairly decent. This has the effect of creating the false impression among civilians that Glocks must be the best gun available - or else cops wouldn't want them, right?

A similar thing happened in CAD software years ago. AutoDesk was almost giving away their software for free to all the schools, creating the false impression among students that "industry must consider this the best CAD system software or it wouldn't be so widely used in schools" - but there was never any truth to it. Once you are out of school, you find that industry would rather use almost anything but crappy AutoCAD. I almost never get AutoCAD files from anyone because nobody uses it for serious mechanical engineering, but an entire generation was incorrectly taught in school that it was widely considered the best. Aside from in architecture, which is about the simplest possible use of CAD, it's actually considered to be the worst by almost everyone who's ever used anything else.

Public opinion gets steered in stupid directions for stupid reasons all the time.

I like Sig's and HK's and would dump my G20 in a second if either of them made a 10MM because I'm willing to pay more for a better gun.

dpadams6 02-02-2013 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ (Post 19938846)
Ummmm, they are despite the fact that most are just in total lust over glocks. Serious folks run HK's and SIG's, don't get me wrong I've had glocks and never had an issue one but I prefer HK's and SIG's over glocks. Price probably has something to do with it as well, SIG's are not cheap, most people feel $600 on a gun that always works is smarter than $900 on a gun that always works. I prefer the feel of SIG and HK for that matter, I also like the quality of both of them over and above any glock that I've had or shot.

Well said. Totally agree.

countrygun 02-02-2013 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lee (Post 19941238)
Price. Simple as that. And the strategy of giving special deals to police departments making bulk purchases. Town governments are not going to let police departments spend taxpayer bucks on anything that's a penny more expensive than it absolutely has to be, so they buy the cheapest thing that seems fairly decent. This has the effect of creating the false impression among civilians that Glocks must be the best gun available - or else cops wouldn't want them, right?

A similar thing happened in CAD software years ago. AutoDesk was almost giving away their software for free to all the schools, creating the false impression among students that "industry must consider this the best CAD system software or it wouldn't be so widely used in schools" - but there was never any truth to it. Once you are out of school, you find that industry would rather use almost anything but crappy AutoCAD. I almost never get AutoCAD files from anyone because nobody uses it for serious mechanical engineering, but an entire generation was incorrectly taught in school that it was widely considered the best. Aside from in architecture, which is about the simplest possible use of CAD, it's actually considered to be the worst by almost everyone who's ever used anything else.

Public opinion gets steered in stupid directions for stupid reasons all the time.

I like Sig's and HK's and would dump my G20 in a second if either of them made a 10MM because I'm willing to pay more for a better gun.

^^^^^

This and Sig USA going with all kinds of "Special" models to get people to overpay even more for what the get.

The sad part is that the Sigpro line is a fantastic value. I got rid of a much drooled after 228 because the 2022 was a better concept all round and more accurate in my hands.

A funny example in hindsight is S&W and their "traditional" SA/DA autos. When sales slipped because of rising prices they came out with a "Value" line, it didn't save the designs (which in application aren't all that different from Sigs, they even copied the Sig hammer dropper on some models) but those value line guns sure are popular on the used market.

Other than the Sigpro they seem to want to make more expensive models to get fewer people to pay more for bling, rather than going for a larger base market.

dpadams6 02-02-2013 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by soflasmg (Post 19939968)
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

Ive never had any of mine rust. And the whole "high bore axis" does not mean much. I shoot 357sig and my high axis sig 226/229 shoots much softer than my glock 31/32/33.

TSAX 02-02-2013 13:56

Different guns are more popular in different areas for different reasons. Im would think Sigs are more popular in Exeter, NH. If you follow the Feinstein way of thinking everyone in the hood owns a Glock. I used to live in a city where the local PD carried the Sig P226 and at a few guns shows I worked I heard people constantly talking about how they want this gun because this PD carried them. I lived in another an area where the range north of me 15 miles had mainly 1911 shooters (local PD carried 1911) and 10 miles south of me mainly had Glock shooters.

Now I do get that Sigs have turned some people off with their QC issues, some of their "exotic" designs and the version 1 of the P250 and pricing. Just look or search the Sig forum, they complain about these issues and more. I happen to love Sigs especially the P228 and a few others.

And as one guy mentioned earlier even Sigs fans carry Glocks, is true I would add M&P to that. When I managed a shop/range people came in with their Sig X5, 229, 1911 but their CCW or HD gun was a Glock of M&P, not everyone but a lot. I would be interested to see how the P224 does in becoming a primary carry option vs the other carry options.


http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/cata...ero-Detail.jpg





:50cal:

mgentry 02-03-2013 11:49

I think the dollars for a Sig turn most people off! Sig makes extremely fine pistols and rifles. I have a Colt 1911 to say I have one but I shoot Sigs and Glocks. For what I purchased them for, the Sig and Glock are my weapons of choice. You can say what you want, but these are the one I like, I trust, and they are the ones I take to the range. And when it is time to carry, you can rest assured that one of them is with me. Amen!

fran m 02-03-2013 19:30

I think that they are quality arms. I do not like their models with the decocker. I have carried a Glock since 1990 or 1991. I have trained on them for years. I wouldn't mind owning a P220 SAO.

I think their is more craftsmanship in a SIG than a Glock. I did have a Sigpro that I sold. This gun was a 9mm DAO with a manual safety. I would say that this gun could give Glock a run for it's money. They are a bit bulky and never had a great popularity as a police arm.

For me, it is the decocker as the number one reason. Price would be second.

maxmanta 02-04-2013 15:06

I'll take a plastic frame over an aluminum one. My preference is an old school HK steel frame.

ca survivor 02-05-2013 06:50

Sigs are popular in my house.

AtlantaR6 02-05-2013 06:58

I don't like thumb safeties on my ccw.

OhioGlock90 02-05-2013 15:58

The only reason I dot have one and probably will not have one for awhile is because they are so EXPENSIVE! Other than that I like them


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

bac1023 02-06-2013 19:32

I think Sigs are one of the most popular pistol brands on Earth. :dunno:

countrygun 02-06-2013 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaR6 (Post 19951132)
I don't like thumb safeties on my ccw.

How many Sigs have a "thumb safety"? Besides the little colt pony clones of course.

Boot Stomper 02-07-2013 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by soflasmg (Post 19939968)
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis

You could add the blue finish are poor. The one I carry has most of the bluing is gone around all the holster contact points. The sights will rust on you. With that said the gun is very reliable and accurate. The DA pull is bad, but they have three trigger options, DA/SA, DAK and DOA. For those who are not familiar with DAK. It is a light DAO with an earlier reset.


silversport 02-07-2013 05:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by bac1023 (Post 19957847)
I think Sigs are one of the most popular pistol brands on Earth. :dunno:

they are...and as much as we lament all the versions of the tried and true P series (along with all the others), they still sell many times more pistols than they did when they just imported them from (W) Germany...

I really think price is what grabs most today first...of course reliability trumps price but not always at first...

...s'funny but a young coworker wanted to buy my P230 the other day but after talking about it for a bit and looking online, when he saw it in the flesh he was surprised by the hammer, decocker, European style magazine release as well as its size (I had told him it was sized like a 9mm pistol)

two other coworkers thought the same...I said you young guys only seem to know GLOCK/Springfield XD type pistols...:tongueout:

I had the same reaction by most when they saw my Browning Hi Power..."what kind of 1911 is that???"...:supergrin:

Bill

MIWildcat 02-08-2013 09:25

They are popular up here. Many people I know that cow Glocks do so in case the gun is confiscated, they don't lose the gun the really love.

I know some of the hate comes from the DA pull but that's usually from the lazy ones that do not want to train DA.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:41.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.