Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caliber Corner (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hornady Critical Duty (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469719)

UtahBassKicker 02-04-2013 21:51

Hornady Critical Duty

I just bought a box of Hornady Critical Duty 175 grain 40 S&W for my 23 for home defense. Is this a good choice? Never have shot this particular round before, any input out there?

4949shooter 02-05-2013 05:31

Here is a good test from TNoutdoors:

Kentguy 02-05-2013 07:45

UtahBassKicker,

+1 on tnoutdoors videos - good test information.

I have tested the "Critical Duty" in 9mm and have found them to be an outstanding home/self defense round. They are the next step up from their "Critical Defense" (FTX bullets). I suspect the .40 caliber version will be no exception.

I now use Hornady's Custom ammunition with their XTP HP bullets for my home and CCW, but for the winter months I switch to their Critical Defense rounds (the FTX bullet). I have toyed with the idea of switching to the Critical Duty but have not as of yet.

The design of the FTX & Critical Duty is to act some-what like a RN FMJ type of bullet which will pass more smoothly through outer layers without that material becoming lodged in the HP cavity and expand and keep going. Which is good for an assailant wearing heavier clothing.

IMHO for a home/self defense round these are a very good choice.

Good luck and stay safe out there

M 7 02-05-2013 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBassKicker (Post 19950268)
I just bought a box of Hornady Critical Duty 175 grain 40 S&W for my 23 for home defense. Is this a good choice? Never have shot this particular round before, any input out there?

There are some gelatin tests here

At the bottom of the page, just hit the SEE DETAILS link below the picture of the cartridge you are interested in.

UtahBassKicker 02-05-2013 19:49

Awesome info, thanks guys. Looks like I made a pretty good choice.

SCmasterblaster 02-06-2013 12:18

Great video- thanks.

WinterWizard 02-06-2013 16:40

If only I could find the new 220gr +P .45 ACP version. I would definitely pick up about 60 rounds and check it out.

Merkavaboy 02-06-2013 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBassKicker (Post 19950268)

IMO it's a poor choice to use any unproven ammo for SD. And Critical Duty/Critical Defense is just that: Unproven.

UtahBassKicker 02-06-2013 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merkavaboy (Post 19956942)
IMO it's a poor choice to use any unproven ammo for SD. And Critical Duty/Critical Defense is just that: Unproven.

So how does an ammo get proven? It's passed every ballistics test that I can find?

GLOCK19FTW 02-06-2013 18:04

I use the Hornady Critical Defense (FTX) for my defense rounds.

Never shot them, but MAN do they look like they could do some damage!

M 7 02-06-2013 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBassKicker (Post 19957052)
So how does an ammo get proven? It's passed every ballistics test that I can find?

10% ballistic gelatin is a homogenous test medium that duplicates the average density of human tissues including bone, but that is all that it is- a test medium that allows an "apples-to-apples" comparison of two or more rounds against one another. The same can be said of water, too, which is also used as a ballistic test medium.

JHPs that pass the FBI test protocols, as a general class, tend to do very well on the street.

In spite of this, there are those who simply refuse to see the value in carefully controlled gelatin testing. (e.g., the FBI test protocols)

UtahBassKicker 02-06-2013 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by M 7 (Post 19957296)
10% ballistic gelatin is a homogenous test medium that duplicates the average density of human tissues including bone, but that is all that it is- a test medium that allows an "apples-to-apples" comparison of two or more rounds against one another. The same can be said of water, too, which is also used as a ballistic test medium.

JHPs that pass the FBI test protocols, as a general class, tend to do very well on the street.

In spite of this, there are those who simply refuse to see the value in carefully controlled gelatin testing. (e.g., the FBI test protocols)

So for these guys it needs to actually kill some people before it's "proven"? I hope I never have to find out if this ammo is "proven".

M 7 02-06-2013 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBassKicker (Post 19957710)
So for these guys it needs to actually kill some people before it's "proven"?

For some folks, yes, that is the case.

There have been a couple of attempts (namely by Marshall & Sanow and by Ellifritz) to collect and analyze data taken from shootings in the field, but they have been shown to suffer from tremendously flawed methodologies and are generally seen as being less than valid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBassKicker (Post 19957710)
I hope I never have to find out if this ammo is "proven".

Me, too.

WinterWizard 02-07-2013 01:17

By the time something is "proven" in the field, it is outdated.

Merkavaboy 02-08-2013 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahBassKicker (Post 19957052)

It gets proven on the streets where lives are at stake and where it COUNTS, not in some FBI labratory or in someone's back yard. If your ammunition fails to immediately incapacitate your attacker because of poor bullet design, you may not live to regret your choice of SD ammo.

If people want to bet their lives on some newly designed bullet that has absolutely no known/reported usage on the street in actual SD shootings, feel free to be Hornady's guinea pigs. I'll stick with loads/bullet designs that have actual history of doing a good job of stopping actual human beings hell-bent on death and destruction.

Merkavaboy 02-08-2013 05:13

Quote:

So, it seems that you believe that every living, breathing human being on this planet, past, present or future, is made up of 10% Kind & Knox or Vyse ballistic gello? Or that maybe blocks of ballistic gello is made up of a multitude of human tissues like skin, fat, muscle, tendons and sinew, blood, bones and everything else that makes up the human body?

No Virginia, ballistic gel, nor ANYTHING ELSE, can actually come even close to ever simulating a living breathing human being. You and people like you have been guzzling the FBI's Kool-Aid for decades and you still don't understand basic truths that are so self evident; blocks of ballistic gello do not and can not simulate, let alone duplicate, human tissue. Period. End of argument.

vinniej123 02-08-2013 05:26

When you are comparing damage done by a "proven" round to that of a new round, in the very same substance, how can you then say the test is meaningless? If you don't like the round, don't use it. I as well as others here are using the FBI data to try and decide what we want to use.

Besides, shot placement is king anyway.

SCmasterblaster 02-08-2013 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniej123 (Post 19963044)
When you are comparing damage done by a "proven" round to that of a new round, in the very same substance, how can you then say the test is meaningless? If you don't like the round, don't use it. I as well as others here are using the FBI data to try and decide what we want to use.

Besides, shot placement is king anyway.

True. One can get by with FMJRN ammo if one's shot placement is good.

M 7 02-08-2013 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merkavaboy (Post 19963034)
Quote:

So, it seems that you believe that every living, breathing human being on this planet, past, present or future, is made up of 10% Kind & Knox or Vyse ballistic gello? Or that maybe blocks of ballistic gello is made up of a multitude of human tissues like skin, fat, muscle, tendons and sinew, blood, bones and everything else that makes up the human body?

No Virginia, ballistic gel, nor ANYTHING ELSE, can actually come even close to ever simulating a living breathing human being. You and people like you have been guzzling the FBI's Kool-Aid for decades and you still don't understand basic truths that are so self evident; blocks of ballistic gello do not and can not simulate, let alone duplicate, human tissue. Period. End of argument.

Since I said nothing of the sort, I'd suggest re-reading what I posted for greater clarity, but since you quoted me, I suspect that reading comprehension is the more serious issue before you.

Quote:

Thank you ever so much for proving my point, and in spades at that! :thumbsup:

In glaring contrast to your apparent belief that you are a veritable fountain of knowledge, your response above is the perfect example of the "straw-man argument" defined below-

Quote:

A straw man argument occurs in the context of a debate when one side attacks a position not held by the other side (the strawman) and then acts as though the other side's position has been refuted.

"Straw man" is one of the best-named fallacies, because it is memorable and vividly illustrates the nature of the fallacy. Imagine a fight in which one of the combatants sets up a man of straw, attacks it, then proclaims victory. All the while, the real opponent stands by untouched.

Kudos! At least you did that right. :thumbsup:

SCmasterblaster 02-08-2013 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterWizard (Post 19958760)
By the time something is "proven" in the field, it is outdated.

So true. Look at how long the 9mm lasted after the Miami FBI Shootout.