Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Religious Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Ancient Aliens TV Show On The History Channel (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470539)

JBnTX 02-08-2013 15:24

Ancient Aliens TV Show On The History Channel

What do you non-believers think about the Ancient Astronaut Theory and the Ancient Aliens TV show?

They've got aliens from outer space involved in just about every aspect of human history. From the garden of Eden to WWII, they claim that "other worldly visitors" have shaped and guided mankind.

I watch it because it's an entertaining show and it does have a lot of history in it. But, I don't believe in little green men from Mars.

I crack up every time they say "as ancient astronaut theorists believe", which is about ten times each show.

Glock36shooter 02-08-2013 15:30

They've got some interesting ideas and it does make you wonder but there simply isn't enough evidence that there are or ever were alien beings, let alone ones that are capable on inter-stellar travel. But it's interesting to think about. Maybe there were beings such as that and early man confused them for Gods. It would finally make sense of so many mysteries about our ancient world. But... that might just be trying to create an answer to make the pieces fit... just like creating a God.

Glock36shooter 02-08-2013 15:31

I do however think it's more likely than a God. At least these beings would be natural... just more advanced.

void * 02-08-2013 15:52

I think it's a load of hooey, personally. I used to watch the History Channel a lot more back when, you know, they actually had history programs on, rather than this new batch of aliens, nostradamus, bible code junk on.

SPIN2010 02-08-2013 15:55

This just in "Super Advanced Intelligent Aliens" visit dumb human world (They were looking for pointers).

GET FOR REAL!

Syclone538 02-08-2013 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19964794)
What do you non-believers think about the Ancient Astronaut Theory and the Ancient Aliens TV show?

I'm thinking the ancient astronaut theory is almost as unlikely as a god existing. Something like .0001% vs .001% chance.
shop quan ao quan ao thoi trang quan ao so sinh vest cong so nu vest cong so nu chup anh cuoi khuyen mai
I've never seen the show, and even though that video looks like it is trying to make the guy look crazy, they probably could have accomplished that honestly without creative editing.

rednoved 02-08-2013 16:10

I've seen the first couple of episodes. It was entertaining.

Animal Mother 02-08-2013 17:42

In my experience, the Alien Astronaut/Ancient Alien proponents have the same problem creationists do. They twist any evidence they can fit into their hypothesis and completely ignore any contrary evidence or better explanations for what is observed.

juggy4711 02-08-2013 18:40

Entertaining rubbish. That and homeboy's hair is out of control.

ancient_serpent 02-08-2013 18:49

I like it riiight up to the point where they explain things with "It's aliens."
I like that people ask questions, I like that there are people dedicated to solving the mysteries of our planet. I completely disagree with their conclusions.
Oh, and I don't like how they say "mainstream scientists believe" as if the "mainstream" guys in science aren't the freaking experts.

itstime 02-08-2013 19:05

Ha. I'm kinda watching it in the background. It makes you wonder for sure. Makes mOre sense to me than other theories.

Altaris 02-08-2013 20:32

http://www.libertynews.com/wp-conten...ens-c549c7.jpg

As crazy as this Ancient Alien claim is, and I don't buy it one bit, there is at least some basis of 'maybe it could happen', unlike anything religion has to offer.

muscogee 02-08-2013 21:30

Better evidence than Genesis. Of course there is no evidence for Genesis.

Glock36shooter 02-09-2013 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altaris (Post 19965813)
http://www.libertynews.com/wp-conten...ens-c549c7.jpg

As crazy as this Ancient Alien claim is, and I don't buy it one bit, there is at least some basis of 'maybe it could happen', unlike anything religion has to offer.

LMAO! That guy's hair kills me.

JBnTX 02-09-2013 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscogee (Post 19966049)

Of course there is no evidence for Genesis.

The Earth is here, and you're here.
What more evidence do you need?

muscogee 02-09-2013 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19967016)
The Earth is here, and you're here.
What more evidence do you need?

Why is that evidence for veracity of Genesis? What's the difference in God did it and aliens did it? There's weak evidence to support the idea that aliens did it. There's no evidence that God did it.

JBnTX 02-09-2013 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscogee (Post 19967182)
Why is that evidence for veracity of Genesis? What's the difference in God did it and aliens did it? There's weak evidence to support the idea that aliens did it. There's no evidence that God did it.

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." - Genesis 1:1

That's all the evidence I need.
Your needs may vary.

muscogee 02-09-2013 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19967491)

Your needs may vary.

Ancient hearsay is not evidence.

wingryder 02-09-2013 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19967491)

Your needs may vary.

Well that certainly says it all. We may as well burn the science books now. No further proofs needed!
:rofl:

As others have said. The "scientific method" used by these Alienists are exactly the same as used for Creationists; cherry pick evidence that supports your conclusion, discard all other... Rinse, repeat. Ridicule those who bombard you with reason.

fowl intent 02-09-2013 19:48

It is a very interesting topic. After seeing some of the Egyptian hieroglyphs, some of the south american stone carvings, and native american petroglyphs there certainly are some unusual figures depicted that some would attribute to be alien in nature. That theory might also go a long way in explaining how an ancient relatively primative cultures could know so much about astronomy, mathmatics and physics. The understanding of astrology and mathmatics necessary to build some of the ancient pyramids, both in Egypt and in South America (not to mention how they built them in the first place) is mindboggling.