Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Think this flash drive should go to the trash? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470770)

geofri 02-09-2013 18:24

Think this flash drive should go to the trash?
 
Lost data once, then twice, stopped using the drive for school work as I couldn't trust it.

Just plugged it in to see if it was still working and this is what I found.

Any hope or pitch it? it was only around $7 bucks.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ps306bae2f.png

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...psb7bc2d3e.png

sappy13 02-09-2013 19:16

I vote toss or give to the homeless man down the street. No point keeping a untrusty flash drive

railfancwb 02-09-2013 19:35

Hit it with a hammer. Use as a target. Fold, spindle, and mutilate.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Detectorist 02-10-2013 01:44

burn it.

Dalton Wayne 02-10-2013 02:19

Sell it on gubroker for three times what it's worth

Toyman 02-10-2013 06:23

Depends, do you know how to properly remove a usb flash drive, or do you just yank it out when you're done?

Have you tried formatting it?

UtahIrishman 02-10-2013 07:44

give it to your ex-wife

Hoochrunners 02-10-2013 08:12

Hammer. Garbage. Not worth the risk. They are cheap.

rednoved 02-10-2013 08:37

Get rid of it.

geofri 02-10-2013 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyman (Post 19970250)
Depends, do you know how to properly remove a usb flash drive, or do you just yank it out when you're done?

Have you tried formatting it?

Once or twice I may have "yanked it" but generally I properly remove hardware. I did reformat it once after the first corruption. Lasted for a couple weeks before reoccurring.



Looks like it's getting the hammer. Thanks fellas.

ScottieG59 02-10-2013 20:17

Actually, it looks like the file structure is corrupted. The first thing I suggest it learn to use the cloud. It will make your data available on all your devices. Some services will allow you to track versions of documents and permit collaboration if you are on a team project.

I encrypt all my removable media and I do not trust backups to any single place.

Flash drives have a finite life. Most will not give you a nice warning they are going bad.

Destroy the chip before disposing of it. Data you deleted may be retrievable and in today's digital world, it can come back to haunt when you run for political office down the road.

bill4282 02-10-2013 20:38

Old school candle and tweezers works well when destroying data

Toyman 02-11-2013 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by geofri (Post 19973075)
Once or twice I may have "yanked it" but generally I properly remove hardware. I did reformat it once after the first corruption. Lasted for a couple weeks before reoccurring.

Looks like it's getting the hammer. Thanks fellas.

Yea, it's probably toast. Personally I would think of something good to put on it and then drop it in a parking lot, like Walmart.

By something good I mean a harmless prank, not something malicious.

RDW 02-11-2013 19:42

Hammer!

droidfire 02-14-2013 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyman (Post 19974372)
Yea, it's probably toast. Personally I would think of something good to put on it and then drop it in a parking lot, like Walmart.

By something good I mean a harmless prank, not something malicious.

Don't give someone access to the data you have stored on it over time.

Just toss it in your next campfire.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:51.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.