Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Religious Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Pope Resigns (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471037)

humanguerrilla 02-11-2013 05:31

Pope Resigns

:wow:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...-live-reaction

So if the St. Malachy prophecy is correct we get Peter the Roman the last pope?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

pugman 02-11-2013 06:15

I'm surprised he lasted this long-not so much his age but at the time of his election didn't they say Pope John Paul II was so loved they wanted someone in there for only a short period of time sort of like a "buffer?"

On the date of his election he was quoted as saying ""At a certain point, I prayed to God 'please don't do this to me'...Evidently, this time He didn't listen to me."

The man didn't want the job in the first place.

Geko45 02-11-2013 09:35

It's been 600 years since a pope resigned. It's just not done. My guess is an internal political power stuggle in the church.

Roering 02-11-2013 11:05

Surprising but understandable. Typically you do keep the position until your last breath but I've always thought it a bad practice to maintain the position when you are clearly not capable of functioning at the necessary level.

On a personal note I'll miss having him as my Pope. He was in some ways perfect for the position and a much needed flavor of orthodoxy after JPII.

Roering 02-11-2013 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geko45 (Post 19974813)
It's been 600 years since a pope resigned. It's just not done. My guess is an internal political power stuggle in the church.

Is this going to turn in to a tinfoil hat/Davinci Code thread?

Geko45 02-11-2013 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roering (Post 19975189)
Is this going to turn in to a tinfoil hat/Davinci Code thread?

No need for a conspiracy theory for what can be explained by ordinary politics. At least they didn't poison him like they did in the old days.

muscogee 02-11-2013 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roering (Post 19975163)
Surprising but understandable. Typically you do keep the position until your last breath but I've always thought it a bad practice to maintain the position when you are clearly not capable of functioning at the necessary level.

On a personal note I'll miss having him as my Pope. He was in some ways perfect for the position and a much needed flavor of orthodoxy after JPII.

The problem with orthodoxy is that it tends to be inflexible in a world that is in constant and ever accelerating change.

Gunhaver 02-11-2013 20:46

A replacement has already been chosen...

http://mrtopp.com/wp-content/uploads...darth_pope.jpg

steveksux 02-12-2013 13:05

Quote:

Not exactly...

There are rules regarding when a Pope can resign, saw an article today. He cannot be forced or pressured, and he must be of sound mind. That's the good news.

On the other hand it means if he was not of sound mind, he'd still be Pope... ;)

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Altaris 02-12-2013 13:20

:wavey:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...84350030_n.jpg

WT 02-14-2013 13:29

I heard he got a better offer from the Lutherans. The Protestants pay better.

fgutie35 02-14-2013 14:11

Quote:

The Catholic Church has been infiltraded by satan. You are right, there is an internal struggle, but it is not politics. This has been warned by many signs. One of them, are the letters of Fatima, as well as some other visionaries that has been proved to be somewhat legit by the Catholic Church. It is my understanding that Benedict knew he was the pope that was to flee the church. Just as John Paul II knew they were going to try to kill him. Just like the next Pope will know he will be the last pope. My question is more of "If they already know, why not try to change course or resist to it?" Do they want for things to run its course to prove the prophesies were right? or there is really nothing they can do to stop the chain of events?:dunno:

scottz0369 02-14-2013 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgutie35 (Post 19987563)
The Catholic Church has been infiltraded by satan. You are right, there is an internal struggle, but it is not politics. This has been warned by many signs. One of them, are the letters of Fatima, as well as some other visionaries that has been proved to be somewhat legit by the Catholic Church. It is my understanding that Benedict knew he was the pope that was to flee the church. Just as John Paul II knew they were going to try to kill him. Just like the next Pope will know he will be the last pope. My question is more of "If they already know, why not try to change course or resist to it?" Do they want for things to run its course to prove the prophesies were right? or there is really nothing they can do to stop the chain of events?:dunno:

Check out Windswept House by Malachi Martin for a "fictional" account of the church infiltrated. Funny, just last month I read "Petrus Romanus". I'm skeptical of the thesis of the book (the veracity of the Malachy Prophecy of the Popes), but it makes an interesting read. I'm listening to a podcast with the co-author (Cris Putnam) on PID Radio right now.

GreenDrake 02-14-2013 15:36

Maybe they should have let the old dude walk once in a while and not cart him around on the remote controlled Segway all the time. Like a holy puppet, even in church he was on the cart most of the time. Heck my father in law is 93 and still out and about, having drinks in the evening, dancing and playing like he's a kid. Well not that much but he's still the life of the party during the holidays.

steveksux 02-15-2013 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by WT (Post 19987443)
I heard he got a better offer from the Lutherans. The Protestants pay better.

Pay is about the same, but Lutherans can marry. Its the "fringe" benefits.

Randy

John_NJ 02-15-2013 13:13

I'm Protestant and do not recognize many Catholic doctrines as being able to hold up to the scrutiny of scripture.

That said, I believe these people are my brothers and sisters so I hope they will get a new leader that will not back down to the social/liberal agenda.

This Pope did not have the Charisma that John Paul II did but he did stay faithful to solid, fundamental, values of the church.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

hooligan74 02-15-2013 13:44

Protecting child molesters is staying faithful to the solid, fundamental values of the church?

Wowza! I'm glad I'm not Catholic!

Animal Mother 02-15-2013 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_NJ (Post 19991145)
This Pope did not have the Charisma that John Paul II did but he did stay faithful to solid, fundamental, values of the church.

What if the solid, fundamental values of the church are wrong, should one still stay faithful to them?

dhoomonyou 02-15-2013 22:11

Whats his pension package look like?

Vic Hays 02-16-2013 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animal Mother (Post 19992927)
What if the solid, fundamental values of the church are wrong, should one still stay faithful to them?

This is where the Protestants came from. Two basic foundational tenants.

1. The Bible as the standard if faith and practice .

2. The right of individual conscience .