Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Black Rifle Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Does anyone have an AR in .308 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471764)

Huskershooter23 02-14-2013 13:52

Does anyone have an AR in .308
 
Im new to the world of AR's although I've done a lot of reading up on on the subject as I get close to purchasing one or potentially building one. But as I read through this forum I am yet to find anyone talking about an AR in .308. Are they that uncommon?

I use a .308 for hunting and have the rounds and the ability to reload them so thats kind of why I was considering it.

Thanks.

SpectreRider 02-14-2013 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskershooter23 (Post 19987676)
Im new to the world of AR's although I've done a lot of reading up on on the subject as I get close to purchasing one or potentially building one. But as I read through this forum I am yet to find anyone talking about an AR in .308. Are they that uncommon?

I use a .308 for hunting and have the rounds and the ability to reload them so thats kind of why I was considering it.

Thanks.

I have one built on a Tactical Machining lower with a DPMS 24" fluted bbl. and a magpul PRS stock. I built it to be a semi-auto sniper configuration. It is heavy. I can shoot a four round group (100 yard) that a dime will cover the center of all four rounds.

You are right to call it an ar in .308.

Armalite builds the AR-10 and has the name trademarked.
I have discovered inadvertently that the AR-10 trademark is vigorously defended by some of the GT Black Rifle forum members, none of whom are going to believe that my TM/DPMS ar.308 can shoot 1/2 MOA on a good day.

They have always been less common because they are about twice the price.

SpringerTGO 02-14-2013 15:28

I haven't even fired it yet, but I have an LMT Slick model that I picked up just before things went crazy. The build quality looks amazing, and if it's as accurate as they say, it will be almost like a match grade bold action rifle. I read one review where they got a .77" group at 200 meters using military ammunition.
It is a heavy rifle, but that doesn't seem to keep a lot of military people from carrying it.

bikerdog 02-14-2013 15:29

No they are a fairly common rifle just not as popular as there 5.56 counter parts.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Jason D 02-14-2013 17:02

I have had an Armalite AR10A2 Carbine for the better part of a decade.
It's been utterly reliable and is accurate to boot.

Unistat 02-14-2013 18:03

I have a POF P308 piston rifle. One thing about the ARs in .308 is that they are no where near as standardized as the AR-15 platform.

Matthew Courtney 02-14-2013 19:35

I have a CMMG with a 18 inch nitrided barrel that is very accurate. .3-.4 MOA with FGGM and Barnes Vor-Tx and a Bushmaster with a 6 inch chrome lined barrel. We have had at least 2 carbine coure students shoot part of the course with LR-308's and one Rifle Instructor Candidate shoot a JP Enterprises .308. That JP is a sweet rifle! The biggest ossue with them is weight. The Bushy ORC is the lightest at 7.75 pounds dry. With an Aimpoint Micro, a sling, and a 20 round mag it's about 9.25 pounds, which is heavy but manageable.

gjk5 02-14-2013 20:17

I have a DPMS LR308, I have only had one opportunity to shoot it and have not reloaded for it, but it was reliable and relatively accurate when I mounted the scope and shot some crap surplus out of it.

concretefuzzynuts 02-14-2013 20:21

I refuse to talk about the 300 blackout on the internet.



I just did.

gjk5 02-14-2013 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts (Post 19989078)
I refuse to talk about the 300 blackout on the internet.



I just did.

you are out of the club now

USMCsilver 02-14-2013 20:25

KNS pins on semi-auto rifles tickle me. :)

boomhower 02-14-2013 21:48

Want one, just can't afford one.

daddysnapmuffins 02-15-2013 00:37

.308 ARs are awesome. They are much more expensive as is ammo. They are also right in that they aren't really standardized at all. You should look at LMT MWS/LM8 MWS and Colt 901. Personally, I have a SCAR 17.

pgg00 02-15-2013 01:07

I have a RRA 16" barrel. It shoots pretty good. Only iron sights right now. Need to get some glass on it.

mgs 02-15-2013 05:47

I have a Bushmaster Moe Mid Length (very low serial number). Quality of the lower is perfect and I had some issues with the upper that were resolved. It does have a tight chamber and is accurate. It is not an M1A. 16" is a bit short for .308 but I like it. 18" would be ideal and I may go that direction. 30mm 1x4 Primary Arms Scope/mount is a great addition for close accurate work. It's a lot bigger/heavier than an AR-15 and recoil is more. 20rds in a Pmag is some real weight.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps4ebf5989.jpg

Hedo1 02-15-2013 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjk5 (Post 19989061)
I have a DPMS LR308, I have only had one opportunity to shoot it and have not reloaded for it, but it was reliable and relatively accurate when I mounted the scope and shot some crap surplus out of it.

I have one of these also with the heavy 24" barrel and Magpul furniture. It's a great shooter. Sub MOA with my handloads and darn close with factory ammo. It likes the lighter stuff. 150 and 168 gr preferred. It loves Lapua 167gr scenar bullets.

I'm glad I bought 4, 20 rd magpul magazines when I got the rifle. Haven't seen 10 or 20's for this rifle since the troubles started.

Navitimer 02-15-2013 07:50

Get a LMT MWS 308 and you'll never look back!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...60B295152A.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...60C4CD2073.jpg

Huskershooter23 02-15-2013 08:18

Thanks to everyone for the responces, I've become a huge fan of this site. Most everyone is great about helping us Newbies!

So on average how much more do they run compared to a similar gun in .223?

Another question, I'm attending the gun show this weekend in Vegas(I live here) we have 3 shows here in the next month. I do not currently own a AR in any caliber but am looking for the best deal I can find before I buy. I understand I will pay more than those who bought theirs pre-panic but will NOT over pay to the extent of some of those people out there. In saying that I probably wont get one at any of the gun shows BUT should I pick up ammo with out even owning a gun for it if the price is right just to get ahead and be ready for when I do make the purchase? Or should I wait to see if prices drop by the time I actually find a deal on the gun I want? Along with that should I try and pick up some mags just to have? Its just a matter of time before I get the gun but here in Vegas its almost impossible to find .223 or anything else for that matter.

Mayhem like Me 02-15-2013 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCsilver (Post 19989092)
KNS pins on semi-auto rifles tickle me. :)

I have a CMC trigger on my 308 it requires captured pins, the c clip ones thet sent were....fugly..

my 308 is a CMMG matched billet upper and lower,
young chrome BC
JP severe duty bolt
LW50 16 inch 1x10 polygonal barrel
Troy rail 13.
CMC trigger

LMT sopmod stock
DPMS 308 buffer Carbine
Springco spring for DPMS style .

It shoots Very tight 10 shot groups inch or under with 168 match
1.5 inch 10 shoot groups with crappy ball.
Seekins adjustable gas block

xRUSTYx 02-15-2013 11:49

I have a SCAR 17s ... A .308 battle rifle :) My favorite rifle & caliber of all :)

Most of my AR 5.56 platforms sit idle in the safe now :)

mgs 02-15-2013 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskershooter23 (Post 19990356)
Thanks to everyone for the responces, I've become a huge fan of this site. Most everyone is great about helping us Newbies!

So on average how much more do they run compared to a similar gun in .223?

Another question, I'm attending the gun show this weekend in Vegas(I live here) we have 3 shows here in the next month. I do not currently own a AR in any caliber but am looking for the best deal I can find before I buy. I understand I will pay more than those who bought theirs pre-panic but will NOT over pay to the extent of some of those people out there. In saying that I probably wont get one at any of the gun shows BUT should I pick up ammo with out even owning a gun for it if the price is right just to get ahead and be ready for when I do make the purchase? Or should I wait to see if prices drop by the time I actually find a deal on the gun I want? Along with that should I try and pick up some mags just to have? Its just a matter of time before I get the gun but here in Vegas its almost impossible to find .223 or anything else for that matter.

About $300 to $500 more than an AR-15 but finding one may be the trick right now. The LMT is real nice but real scarce also.

exmdshooter 02-15-2013 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectreRider (Post 19987969)
I have one built on a Tactical Machining lower with a DPMS 24" fluted bbl. and a magpul PRS stock. I built it to be a semi-auto sniper configuration. It is heavy. I can shoot a four round group (100 yard) that a dime will cover the center of all four rounds.

I have essentially the same rifle, but it's a factory DPMS LR308... with the same upper. I too added a Magpul stock. I have mine topped with a Tasco (aka SWFA SuperSniper) 10x42 Mildot scope. Awesome combo, but as SpectreRider states it's a HEAVY piece of gear. Great glass for $300 BTW. Likewise I can put rounds into a dime size group all day at 100 yards if I do my part. SWEET!

BTW - shooting Federal Premium 168 grain Gold Medal Match out of mine.

gjk5 02-15-2013 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedo1 (Post 19990076)
I have one of these also with the heavy 24" barrel and Magpul furniture. It's a great shooter. Sub MOA with my handloads and darn close with factory ammo. It likes the lighter stuff. 150 and 168 gr preferred. It loves Lapua 167gr scenar bullets.

I'm glad I bought 4, 20 rd magpul magazines when I got the rifle. Haven't seen 10 or 20's for this rifle since the troubles started.

my buddy has the same rifle and has had time to work up loads and is getting sub MOA with 165's (Sierras) I am not concerned about eventual accuracy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskershooter23 (Post 19990356)
Thanks to everyone for the responces, I've become a huge fan of this site. Most everyone is great about helping us Newbies!

So on average how much more do they run compared to a similar gun in .223?

Another question, I'm attending the gun show this weekend in Vegas(I live here) we have 3 shows here in the next month. I do not currently own a AR in any caliber but am looking for the best deal I can find before I buy. I understand I will pay more than those who bought theirs pre-panic but will NOT over pay to the extent of some of those people out there. In saying that I probably wont get one at any of the gun shows BUT should I pick up ammo with out even owning a gun for it if the price is right just to get ahead and be ready for when I do make the purchase? Or should I wait to see if prices drop by the time I actually find a deal on the gun I want? Along with that should I try and pick up some mags just to have? Its just a matter of time before I get the gun but here in Vegas its almost impossible to find .223 or anything else for that matter.

If things equalize they are not too much more $$$, I paid $980 I think for mine (pre-panic).

Mine has no irons and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X scope on a PEPR mount.

It is getting a Timney or like aftermarket trigger in the next couple weeks too.

SpectreRider 02-15-2013 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by exmdshooter (Post 19991556)
I have essentially the same rifle, but it's a factory DPMS LR308... with the same upper. I too added a Magpul stock. I have mine topped with a Tasco (aka SWFA SuperSniper) 10x42 Mildot scope. Awesome combo, but as SpectreRider states it's a HEAVY piece of gear. Great glass for $300 BTW. Likewise I can put rounds into a dime size group all day at 100 yards if I do my part. SWEET!

BTW - shooting Federal Premium 168 grain Gold Medal Match out of mine.

Same here, Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr sierra match bthp. As close to good handload as factory gets.

As far as how much a AR.308 costs, I sourced each part about as cheaply as I could. Still not a cheap rifle though.


AR.308
--------
TM10 Stripped Lower Reciever SN TM00010XX 229.00
FL sales tax 13.75
DPMS Complete 24" Bull upper Carbon Handguard 725.00
FL sales tax 43.50
Magpul PRS Gen 2 Stock 255.00
ERGO Sure Grip w-Palm Shelf 53.56
.308 Mil-spec Buffer Tube Assembly 43.97
DPMS Lower Reciever Parts Kit 58.99
DPMS 19 Round .308 Magazine (x3)- 69.00
DPMS 4 Round .308 Magazine 23.00
Pride and Fowler RR-800-1 3-9x42 Scope w/sunshade 538.95
Leupold 30mm scope rings 148.00
Geissele LR-308 small pin Super Dynamic Two Stage Enhanced Trigger 220.00
Butler Creek flip up scope covers 22.00
Harris bi-pod (already had it) 73.00
Pelican rifle case 170.00
Shipping charges approx 25.00

TOTAL 2711.72

That Geissele trigger is worth every penny and then some.

Anyone needing glass might want to go look at the specs on that Pride and Fowler scope. It is great glass and the reticle is a unique design that is being copied (poorly) by some of the big scope makers.

FatBoy 02-16-2013 02:01

I love my 16" AR10. Nice light package for what it is. Sub 8lbs plain. I added a 3x AGOG. Not a tack driver at 1.5moa, but a handy package w/ some punch behind it. I was able to cobble it together for real cheap back when ArmaLite had great 12 days of ArmaLite sales before Christmas. About $750 including the transfer of the lower. Plus I got $200 off the ACOG when Microsoft was pushing their Live search portal. Someday I'd like to put a FF tube on it.


Oh, I'm one of those anal people about the whole AR10 being an ArmaLite. Not because I think they are superior, as they're not, but unlike the AR15, the parts aren't cross compatable between manufactures . Some new folks assume they are and it can cause problems while discussing features .


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:21.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.