Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Political Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Elderly couple pulled over after their Buckeye car decal is mistaken for a (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472147)

zeke501 02-16-2013 12:23

Elderly couple pulled over after their Buckeye car decal is mistaken for a

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...36--ncaaf.html

I did not know it is against the law to have a marijuana leaf decal on your car...:upeyes:

barbedwiresmile 02-16-2013 12:27

Quote:

“Knowing I wasn’t speeding, I couldn’t imagine why,” Jonas-Boggioni told the Columbus Dispatch. “They were very serious. They had the body armor and the guns.”
As long as the cops got home safe.

Ruble Noon 02-16-2013 13:04

The war on drugs marches on, harassing elderly people that support their college team. Meanwhile our government gives assault weapons to the drug cartels.

This makes sense in some alternate neocon reality.

JBnTX 02-16-2013 13:04

What football team in their right mind would have what could be mistaken as a dope leaf as their symbol?

syntaxerrorsix 02-16-2013 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBnTX (Post 19994997)
What football team in their right mind would have what could be mistaken as a dope leaf as their symbol?

None, it's a buckeye.

What sort of drug enforcement officer in their right mind wouldn't know what a pot leaf looks like?

CAcop 02-16-2013 13:22

Where was the sticker on their car?

WT 02-16-2013 13:23

Age 65 is NOT elderly. Actually, she is a 'seasoned' adult.

(I bet she is 'hot' and they wanted to check her out.)

syntaxerrorsix 02-16-2013 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAcop (Post 19995061)

Quote:

On the back of Jonas-Boggioni’s car
I suppose if it was on the license plate or the front windshield it would have warranted a felony stop instead of just regular old harassment.

ETA From another source :
Quote:

Because the couple’s two schnauzers were barking furiously, one of the officers had Jonas-Boggioni exit the car so he could hear her better. “What are you doing with a marijuana sticker on your bumper?” he asked her.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-of-state.html

Bren 02-16-2013 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke501 (Post 19994812)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...36--ncaaf.html

I did not know it is against the law to have a marijuana leaf decal on your car...:upeyes:

In my experience, elderly people are very frequently pulled over because they exhibit enough signs of drunk driving to give reasonable suspicion of DUI - the standard required for the police to stop them. I have done so many times.

That the officer asked about the sticker doesn't mean that's the basis for the stop and the article does not say it was or that they were told the basis for the stop. They weren't even aware enough to know what police department it was..

Just more tinfoil hatters and people digging for BS to gosspi about.

syntaxerrorsix 02-16-2013 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 19995141)
In my experience, elderly people are very frequently pulled over because they exhibit enough signs of drunk driving to give reasonable suspicion of DUI - the standard required for the police to stop them. I have done so many times.

That the officer asked about the sticker doesn't mean that's the basis for the stop and the article does not say it was or that they were told the basis for the stop. They weren't even aware enough to know what police department it was..

Just more tinfoil hatters and people digging for BS to gosspi about.

Right.. nothing to see here move along.

Quote:

The officer then explained that someone from outside his jurisdiction — apparently another officer — had spotted the leaf sticker and thought it might indicate that the car was carrying marijuana, Jonas-Boggioni said.

EOS 02-16-2013 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruble Noon (Post 19994994)
The war on drugs marches on, harassing elderly people that support their college team. Meanwhile our government gives assault weapons to the drug cartels.

This makes sense in some alternate neocon reality.

This.

I'm a Kentucky fan, so anyone displaying a Buckeye sticker should be pulled over.......:tongueout:

But in all seriousness, this story reaches a whole new level of assininity.

How far will it have to go before the Neocons see that this is a scourge to liberty and freedom?

Batesmotel 02-16-2013 13:47

Good to see that the 1st amendment is alive and well in the great state of Tennessee. :upeyes:

rednoved 02-16-2013 13:53

All of the best drug traffickers put marijuana leaf decals on their vehicles so they can be easily identified.

Bren 02-16-2013 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix (Post 19995159)
Right.. nothing to see here move along.

What you posted still doesn't indicate the legal basis for the stop.

Yes, a pot leaf, an Obama sticker, or anything else may make the police look closer at your car - they still have to wait for a legal basis to stop you. That isn't mentioned in the story and may not have been mentioned to the driver, but most people drive so poorly they are constantly providing reasons for a legal stop.

cesaros 02-16-2013 14:10

Should probably start giving IQ tests before hiring at that department.

How dare someone have a sticker, that looks kinda like somthing that is illegal.

syntaxerrorsix 02-16-2013 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 19995256)

Yes, a pot leaf, an Obama sticker, or anything else may make the police look closer at your car - they still have to wait for a legal basis to stop you. That isn't mentioned in the story and may not have been mentioned to the driver, but most people drive so poorly they are constantly providing reasons for a legal stop.

I agree with this.

The legal basis for the stop is however implied and nothing supports another reason given the information we have.

Ruble Noon 02-16-2013 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAcop (Post 19995061)

:upeyes:
It was on the rear bumper, right between their AARP and Jesus fish stickers.

EOS 02-16-2013 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren (Post 19995256)

Ummm.........Given that the cop first inquired why they had a pot leaf sticker on their car pretty much says thats why they got pulled over, aren't cops required to reveal why they pull someone over? The man said he knew he wasn't speeding, and the cop made no mention of swerving or swaying in traffic, only "why do you have a pot leaf on your car?"

I thought we had a freedom of speech, stickers included.

These idiot cops should know a violent drug smuggler doesn't display their profession through a bumper sticker.

I think we need to give the bull**** lobe in our brain a break and stop trying to justify this and call it what it was, an authoritarian punk high on power who thought he could pull someone over based on a bumper sticker........that wasn't even what he thought it was.

Gills63 02-16-2013 14:44

Without PC or RAS, the officer may find himself in trouble. I'm very shocked the officers approached the cars with guns and body armor. I assumed most guys took that stuff off prior to walking up to a vehicle.

Its tinfoil, down with the man types who make printing these stories worth while for the media. Its funny how these types take a story and run with it when it suits their purpose. The rest of the time they rant that you can't trust the media.

Anybody who has had firsthand knowledge with a story reported by the media knows they rarely give all the facts or report them accurately.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2-8 Marine 02-16-2013 14:51

Several years ago, my Son "Jason" was pulled over by a suburban department officer for a front plate that his girlfriend bought him. It read "JAYMAN". As a retired police Lieutenant, I called the Chief of the department who explained the officer only stopped my Son because he thought he might be a drug dealer. I asked him; how many drug dealers have you caught in this manner? He rather sheepishly admitted, none. I told my Son to ditch the damn plate. :rofl: