Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival/Preparedness Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   OAtmeal bucket questions (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475892)

Aceman 03-07-2013 19:36

OAtmeal bucket questions

As I'll be getting enough Mylar to make more than one bucket (and O2 absorbers)...

#1 I'm just gonna leave 5lb rice bags "in the bag" then mylar and bucket. It will cut my cap a little, but easier and I like the unitizing factor

So, when I do the oatmeal, I'm thinking I may go with "instant" oats. Just easier to make when they opened. I would have went with Minute Rice too, except, more expensive.

Question 1: Where do I get "bulk" oatmeal? Although I'm thinking Wally World will do for the moment...

Question 2: Why even change it out from that big cylinder it is in???? I assume the answer there is "cardboard" is not good...

DaneA 03-07-2013 20:06

I just bought 50lbs of quick oatmeal from my local restaurant owner for $35. Packed it in 3 5 gallon buckets. I didn't use Mylar because it will be used in under 6 months.

Next come a bulk pack of bisquik!,

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

NDCent 03-07-2013 20:27

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Cereals-and-Grains?page=3

UneasyRider 03-08-2013 05:25

emergency essentials at beprepared.com will deliver them to your door for the price that you can pay to do it yourself.

SFCSMITH(RET) 03-08-2013 06:28

We get ours from a local bakery supply house. 50lb bags. Something like 1/3rd the cost of the stuff in the tubes..

We don't like "instant or quick" The difference is in how hard they roll them, thus breaking them up smaller.. so they cook faster. That is OK sometimes, but in a lot of things I want more texture, and the choice. Instant or regular, if cooking for say.. hot cereal, you bring water to boil and then steep.. the only real difference is the length of the steep time.. The time and energy is in bringing the water to a boil..

quake 03-08-2013 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDCent (Post 20067410)

Fwiw, sam's club sells some auguson farms items on their website www.samsclub.com, for less than you can direct-buy from auguson themselves. Sam's doesn't carry everything auguson has and I don't specifically recall seeing their oatmeal, but it'd be worth looking at.

NDCent 03-08-2013 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by quake (Post 20068704)
Fwiw, sam's club sells some auguson farms items on their website www.samsclub.com, for less than you can direct-buy from auguson themselves. Sam's doesn't carry everything auguson has and I don't specifically recall seeing their oatmeal, but it'd be worth looking at.

Yeppers :supergrin:, we buy from there,too. They're cheaper, but like you said, they only keep certain bundles and individual items in stock.

Aceman 03-08-2013 14:15

This is going to sound really dumb - because it is. Talk to me about 'oats' vs 'oatmeal'

SFCSMITH(RET) 03-08-2013 15:09

Oats in their whole form are called groats. Oak groats are effectively undigestible by humans. But when "rolled" or "cut", they are partly broken down physically so your body can use them.

Oatmeal is just that oats that have been rolled or cut. You can store oat groats, but to use them you need a "roller mill".. it's a uni-tasker..

Roller Mill

After rolling you separate the hulls from the grain.. eat.

Aceman 03-09-2013 04:16

I want oatmeal. Preferably instat. In a bad situation, ease of use is important to me. Less has is less hassle.

I'm just easing into LT food storage, so I'm ok with that. I'll get into raw oat rollers later.

Primitive fire technique is good, but BIC > friction bow any day. Seems the same here.

kirgi08 03-09-2013 04:36

Look inta grinders when you do.'08.

SFCSMITH(RET) 03-09-2013 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceman (Post 20071658)
I want oatmeal. Preferably instat. In a bad situation, ease of use is important to me. Less has is less hassle.

I'm just easing into LT food storage, so I'm ok with that. I'll get into raw oat rollers later.

Primitive fire technique is good, but BIC > friction bow any day. Seems the same here.

I wholeheartedly agree, I don't store oat groats. We have oatmeal. About 100 lbs at the moment. We try to restock at about this point, keeping around 150lbs max in the basement.
I would honestly store more, but it takes up the most space of everything we bucket. (per pound) We go through about 5lbs a month in normal times..

I agree on the BIC > friction bow.. but I know how, and most importantly HAVE started fires with many primitive methods, and so have a deep arsenal of methods. Heating with a wood stove gives you plenty of chances in late Oct. and late Mar. to practice your fire starting skills. Our stove is cooling right now, won't relight until Monday night it looks like.

I will point out I have never seen instant oatmeal in 25 or 50 pound bags.

Donn57 03-09-2013 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceman (Post 20067221)
As I'll be getting enough Mylar to make more than one bucket (and O2 absorbers)...

#1 I'm just gonna leave 5lb rice bags "in the bag" then mylar and bucket. It will cut my cap a little, but easier and I like the unitizing factor

Question for those who have experience with this sort of thing. If you leave the rice in the bag, won't the air that's in the bag stay there and defeat the purpose of the absorbers?

quake 03-09-2013 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn57 (Post 20072442)
Question for those who have experience with this sort of thing. If you leave the rice in the bag, won't the air that's in the bag stay there and defeat the purpose of the absorbers?

If the bag is genuinely airtight, then theoretically it's possible. But hugely unlikely that it would happen. The O2 absorbers actually pull a vacuum in the environment (if you use enough of them), so it's not just latching onto whatever oxygen it comes across, it's actively drawing oxygen to itself. Any path that lets air be pulled toward it will be exploited, the oxygen being sucked out toward the absorber.

If concerned about it, a few simple pinpricks in the inner rice bags would fix any worries.

Aceman 03-09-2013 12:44

I did intend to perforate the bags

M1A Shooter 03-23-2013 19:35

ive been debating trying to cook up some rolled oats i buy for my horses....

so far i just buy the big boxes of oatmeal from sams club, 9lbs iirc? and store them in 1G mylar bags.

SFCSMITH(RET) 03-23-2013 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1A Shooter (Post 20117187)
ive been debating trying to cook up some rolled oats i buy for my horses....

Good luck.. Tried it several years ago. They are not rolled near as well as "Quaker Oats" and the husks and hulls are still with them.

M1A Shooter 03-23-2013 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) (Post 20117478)
Good luck.. Tried it several years ago. They are not rolled near as well as "Quaker Oats" and the husks and hulls are still with them.

good to know. have not received any other direct first hand knowledge from anyone else. just a bunch of pesticide scares and such. Thanks.

worst case, the horses get them anyway.

R_W 03-27-2013 12:27

I bought some groats and a flaker because they store longer, but cost a fair bit more. After rolling some for a test, I don't think I will ever buy oatmeal again.

Groats are de-hulled oats, which is evidently a very difficult thing to do without breaking open the groat. I have been looking for a small scale hulling machine with no success. It was easier to find hulless oats to grow.

Hummer 03-27-2013 15:49

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. Sam's carries a pretty good selection of food storage kits, Augason Farms Emergency Food Storage Kit - 1 year - 4 people. It looks like it could be a well rounded start to long term food storage, and cheaper than collecting and packaging it piecemeal.

DaneA 03-29-2013 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) (Post 20071845)

I will point out I have never seen instant oatmeal in 25 or 50 pound bags.

Go to your local small restaurant and ask if they can get them. I picked up a 50lb bag for $35 from the restaurant down the street.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

WolfNotSheep 04-07-2013 20:17

I wouldn't leave the rice in the bags. After a few years the ink on the bags begins to gel, I would call it, and slough off. It also degrades the plastic and, though I haven't tested to be certain, looks like it ruins whatever it touches, food wise.

I would take the rice out of the factory bags, period. Even the opened rice in a closed bucket will store better than if left in the factory bag.

As far as bulk oatmeal goes, we stock it in #10 cans from the local LDS home storage center/cannery. It's $2.50 a can here in the RVA and should be the same price anywhere in the CONUS.

We go through approximately one can per month normally, excluding any major baking projects.

Aceman 04-08-2013 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfNotSheep (Post 20165115)
I wouldn't leave the rice in the bags. After a few years the ink on the bags begins to gel, I would call it, and slough off. It also degrades the plastic and, though I haven't tested to be certain, looks like it ruins whatever it touches, food wise.

Great tip - thanks!

Gunlover66 04-17-2013 18:03

Augason Farms Oatmeal

Quote:

Please be advised that Walmart.com does carry Augason Farms quick oats, but as with all AF buckets, they do not use mylar to line their buckets or pails. I don't know exactly how that would affect the "shelf life", but I gotta think it would be less than a bucket with mylar and O2 absorbers.