Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strength & Conditioning (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   intermediate full body training (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478467)

glocksalot 03-23-2013 16:49

intermediate full body training
 
Im having trouble finding another good full body training routine that works for more than a couple of weeks for me. I started using Mark Ripptoes "Starting Strength" and then eventually graduated to a more advanced full body routine found here:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hitworkout.htm

I have managed to gain a solid 20lbs within the last year going from 170lbs to 203lbs and then back down to 196lbs. I cant seem to find a workout routine that challenges my muscles anymore and was wanting to hear some suggestions from you guys. I DO NOT want to switch to a split routine so if its possible, keep the suggestions to full body workouts please.

Green_Manelishi 03-23-2013 19:54

Are you lifting with someone, or solo? If solo a good partner is invaluable for forced reps and negatives.

glocksalot 03-23-2013 22:50

unfortunately by myself at this point

BCR 03-24-2013 06:02

If its not challenging, you aren't pushing enough weight.

Or you can add a 2nd set to everything, done after 30 sec or 1 min of rest. You'll get less reps but it could spark new growth.

There is also a chance you've progressed enough to where you need more volume to make gains.

Just as an example, if you did:

Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Bent rows 5x5

Thats still a total body workout, but without all the isolation movements.

Then the next time do something like:

Deadlifts 5x5
Military press 5x5
Pullups 5x5

Then repeat the 1st workout. That'll give you 3 workouts a week.

Green_Manelishi 03-24-2013 10:42

suggestions
 
1. Ditch the isolation movements
2. Add a few more sets of compound movements
3. Keep an eye out for anyone who can spot you for one set of hard work

California Jack 03-24-2013 13:14

Rippetoe's Texas Method or you could easily adapt Wendler's 5/3/1 to work for full body workouts.

California Jack 03-24-2013 19:19

I just checked your link to the more advanced routine. Your problem is not your routine, it is your programming. No group of exercises at a set rep range is going to allow you tp progress unless you have a plan. Read about programming. Any monkey can come up with a routine, programming separates the knowledgable from the monkeys.

glocksalot 03-24-2013 19:49

ok thank you for posting that. I had no idea about anything dealing with "programming"...and can you elaborate on what it is to program a workout??

California Jack 03-24-2013 21:09

Well, programming is how you advance. Periodization is an example. Periodization is usually percentage based program. Rippetoe has an entire book devoted to programming. I personally feel that Wendler's 5/3/1 is the simplest to understand. You can glean enough about it on the web without buying the book.

Google Wendler's 5-3-1.

An alternative would be conjugate training but Wendler's is a better starting program.

glocksalot 03-26-2013 14:10

ok so i understand a little bit more in regards to programming the different excercises of my routine for maximum strength gains. i will begin wendlers 5/3/1 here in a week when i get back on day shift. thanks alot for the responses guys.

Jakestir 03-26-2013 14:27

There are good and bad things about full body work outs. For me they are great for in season training to maintain strength and not be to cashed after im done. How ever if you want to gain strength go to an upper lower split bases around olympic style lifts. Really push the weight. Out if high school I was 175 after doing this for about a year I hit 205. I have been slowly growing stronger and am now sitting at 210 to 215. Im 6' just to give you an idea.

Monday
DB bench 5 x sets of 4 to 6
Hang clean 5 x sets of 4 to 6
Standing row 3x sets 6 to 8
Pull ups max reps
DB row 3 x 6 to 8
Triceps ext ""
Shoulder press ""
Shrugs ""
Throwers 10
Mile run

Tuesday
Squats 5x4 to 6
Dead lift 5x4 to 6
Leg press 3x8
RDL 3x10 to12
Lungs 3x12
Front squat 3x10
Calf raises 3x16
Abs

Wednesday
Mile run
Pull ups
push ups
Dips
Kettle bells
Box jumps
Jump rope
Abs

Repeat Monday and Tuesday on Thursday and friday with a few changes. Think explosive powerful movements. If you do this I guaranty a strength gain. Also ass to grass on the squats. Non of that half way crap. Remember pain is just weakness leaving the body. Just my 2 cents.:cool:
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

California Jack 03-26-2013 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by glocksalot (Post 20125745)
ok so i understand a little bit more in regards to programming the different excercises of my routine for maximum strength gains. i will begin wendlers 5/3/1 here in a week when i get back on day shift. thanks alot for the responses guys.

Good luck. Make sure you follow his advice regarding your starting 1 rm. please report on your progress. 5/3/1 will work for you for quite a while. You can make it a full body workouts by lifting twice weekly. If you bench and DL one day and press and squat the other you'll have two full body workouts weekly. One other advantage to twice weekly is the back off weeks are not required.


While using 5/3/1 I recommend reading Rip's Practical Programming.

taters 03-26-2013 23:51

You did not say what your goal is. I assume getting bigger.
Here is the real deal. You should only work out once a week.
If you are working on biceps , for example, do 15 reps with low weight say 40 pounds. Curls. Than for your second set put as much weight on the barbell ,so you can only do 5 reps. If you can do more than 5 reps add weight. So you can only pump out 5 reps. You are now done with your biceps for a week.
Do this for every body part. Should not take you more than 1/2 hour.
THAT'S RIGHT 1/2 hour a week and in a month you will be amazed at your gains.
Also stay away from bench presses. Too dangerous
LASTLY, DRINK A GALLON OF WATER A DAY, DIET IS AT LEAST
50% of your gains

Jakestir 03-26-2013 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by taters (Post 20127691)
You did not say what your goal is. I assume getting bigger.
Here is the real deal. You should only work out once a week.
If you are working on biceps , for example, do 15 reps with low weight say 40 pounds. Curls. Than for your second set put as much weight on the barbell ,so you can only do 5 reps. If you can do more than 5 reps add weight. So you can only pump out 5 reps. You are now done with your biceps for a week.
Do this for every body part. Should not take you more than 1/2 hour.
THAT'S RIGHT 1/2 hour a week and in a month you will be amazed at your gains.
Also stay away from bench presses. Too dangerous
LASTLY, DRINK A GALLON OF WATER A DAY, DIET IS AT LEAST
50% of your gains

Bench press is dangerous? Sarcasm?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

taters 03-27-2013 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakestir (Post 20127695)
Bench press is dangerous? Sarcasm?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

No sarcasm at all. Bench presses are to dangerous. It's to easy to pull a muscle and they are not ideal for building a chest.
Just follow my plan for a month and you will see the best gains of your life.
Good form
Heavy weight
Diet
Water
Rest for 6 days after a workout. That's when one builds muscle

BCR 03-27-2013 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by taters (Post 20127773)
No sarcasm at all. Bench presses are to dangerous. It's to easy to pull a muscle and they are not ideal for building a chest.
Just follow my plan for a month and you will see the best gains of your life.
Good form
Heavy weight
Diet
Water
Rest for 6 days after a workout. That's when one builds muscle

There is nothing dangerous about benching.

And a month to the best gains of your life? You sound like an infomercial.

BCR 03-27-2013 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by glocksalot (Post 20125745)
ok so i understand a little bit more in regards to programming the different excercises of my routine for maximum strength gains. i will begin wendlers 5/3/1 here in a week when i get back on day shift. thanks alot for the responses guys.

Jack made a great suggestion with 5/3/1.

Follow the program as prescribed. Read the entire book.

Jakestir 03-27-2013 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by taters (Post 20127773)
No sarcasm at all. Bench presses are to dangerous. It's to easy to pull a muscle and they are not ideal for building a chest.
Just follow my plan for a month and you will see the best gains of your life.
Good form
Heavy weight
Diet
Water
Rest for 6 days after a workout. That's when one builds muscle

I would hate to break a nail. Lol

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

taters 03-27-2013 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakestir (Post 20128197)
I would hate to break a nail. Lol

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Sorry to have bothered you. Good luck

Green_Manelishi 03-27-2013 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by taters (Post 20127691)
You did not say what your goal is. I assume getting bigger.
Here is the real deal. You should only work out once a week.
...
THAT'S RIGHT 1/2 hour a week and in a month you will be amazed at your gains.
Also stay away from bench presses. Too dangerous
...

1/2 hour TOTAL, or per body part/muscle group?

If BPs are dangerous then squats are even more so.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.