Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Women's Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Arming the wife (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478938)

DonMerlin 03-26-2013 14:24

Arming the wife

1st some stats.
We have been married 22 years.
We are both retired military.
She retired as a 1st Sgt USAF
She has both her small arms ribbons.
She has owned a small frame Colt revolver for ever and is her "night stand" gun.
She is not shy about guns, but again is not eat up with them like i might be. Just saying some things.

She has decided the G26 is a better platform than her 38sp and is even gettin in line to buy one.

I don''t want her to leave it in her night stand, I want her to have it when she needs it. I guess I want to know how "girls" carry. I'm not sure i like the purse carry because that can be to easily separated from her. Then you lost your wallet and your gun.

So lets start the discussion. I'm hoping to hear from the more gentile of the GT community.

Arc Angel 03-26-2013 18:06

I know A LOT OF WOMEN who carry pistols. As long as women are women it's going to be impossible to get a majority of them not to use their shoulder bags and purses in order to carry guns. The vast majority are going to carry their EDC's this way - Including my (former) sister-in-law who is a state police detective and carries a large S&W 686, 'snub-nose' inside a Galco handbag.

Try to get many women to carry on their waist and you're going to hear things like: 'It makes me look fat!' 'It makes my hips look too large.' and, 'It's always getting in the way.' Not too long ago I was out to dinner with a local police detective and his wife. During the meal she began bragging about her Walther P99-AS; and during the course of the conversation she reached for her handbag, opened it, and gave me a peek.

(I wasn't surprised to see it there!) :supergrin:

ZO6Vettever 03-28-2013 15:08

I made myself an OWB hybrid, Wifey tried it and loved it so she EDC's her G26 in one like mine. With a cover blouse it's gone. She loves the comfort of OWB as opposed to IWB, me too.

janice6 03-28-2013 15:14

All the women in my family carry. They each have different requirements for their carry method.

My 5' 2" wife carried in a CC purse specially made for this purpose. She was approached at the Mall by a stranger and she believed him to be considering taking her car. I showed up unexpectedly and at 6'2" 220 lbs, he suddenly took off.

This experience shook her up and made her state that she would carry on her person from now on, and never let the gun be outside of her reach.

They all have to find what they will tolerate for carry.

Pred8tory 03-31-2013 18:28

My wife's original carry piece was a Model 642 Ladysmith. She tended to carry it off-body no matter how much I warned her about it. She switched to a Ruger LCP and now carries it IWB or in her pocket. I know it's not a Glock 26, but it's better than being in a purse or fanny pack. She can point shoot it pretty well and seven rounds of .380 Critical Defense are gonna leave a mark.

wallytoo 03-31-2013 18:33

The pretty one I'm married to carries a G19 in a Blackhawk Serpa, and two spare mags on her other hip. I carry a G17 in a Blackhawk Serpa with two spare mags on my other hip. I imagine we look like the wide family, but, at least it's on our person.

dregotglock 04-04-2013 12:29

The Mrs carries a G23 at 4 o'clock iwb. She does not carry off body. We feel that there are too many possible issues carried that way.

She is not a big lady by any stretch of the imagination and has been carrying a G23 for the past 4-5 years. The moral of the story is that it can be done with the proper wardrobe and holster/belt set up. And if my Mrs can ccw a G23 your Mrs should be able to conceal a G26.

Another option is Looper Law Enforcement. They have a line of holsters designed specifically for female carry.
http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/...ollection.html

Be Safe,
Doc

Mrs.Cicero 04-12-2013 20:31

I purse carry when my clothes don't allow for anything else. Around the farm right now it's OWB behind my right hip. That's about to change, though, if my new holster ever arrives...

windancr 04-13-2013 18:41

In the waist band for a G26.
And My most favorite is the smart carry.
It goes with everything I wear, and sometimes I do "look fat"
at my age, who cares?

I also carry my driver's license and concealed carry license separately from other cards and ID in my wallet. If possible those two cards are in a pocket in a little holder or in the smart carry back "pocket"
(this should be interesting if ever I have to show one or both of them to LEO)

If I loose my purse, I can cancel the credit/debit cards, but I really don't want to loose my 26 or have someone who has already taken my purse know my name, address and have my concealed carry license and wonder if I have something else at my home for them to try to take.

DonMerlin 04-13-2013 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by windancr (Post 20183655)
In the waist band for a G26.
And My most favorite is the smart carry.
It goes with everything I wear, and sometimes I do "look fat"
at my age, who cares?

I also carry my driver's license and concealed carry license separately from other cards and ID in my wallet. If possible those two cards are in a pocket in a little holder or in the smart carry back "pocket"
(this should be interesting if ever I have to show one or both of them to LEO)

If I loose my purse, I can cancel the credit/debit cards, but I really don't want to loose my 26 or have someone who has already taken my purse know my name, address and have my concealed carry license and wonder if I have something else at my home for them to try to take.

Great input! Thanks for sharing that.

fnfalman 04-15-2013 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero (Post 20181269)
I purse carry when my clothes don't allow for anything else. Around the farm right now it's OWB behind my right hip. That's about to change, though, if my new holster ever arrives...

This is an issue that most men can't seem to get through their heads. Yes, carry on the body, especially on the hip attached to a pair of pants is the best method. However, it doesn't mean that it's applicable for all situations and conditions a woman encounters.

Maybe she needs to wear a dress for something? How the hell are you going to put a gun belt on a dress and wear the gun on your hip?

That's why God invented five hundred different ways of packing irons.

Hell, I'm a guy and I don't even carry on the waist or even on the body most of the time. You carry as the situation dictates instead of just swallowing some dogmatic Kool-Aid about dressing around the way you carry.

ss30378 04-16-2013 11:12

My wife cant stand plastic guns (or autoloaders in general) and strictly prefers revolvers. So she has a little sp101 .357 in her purse and not only is she comfortable with it shes a dang sniper with it. As long as shes confident in it im happy.

Foxterriermom 04-19-2013 15:32

G26 or a Ruger .380 IWB appendix carry for me.