Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carry Issues (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   High ride holster (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480738)

Cutiger68 04-06-2013 14:10

High ride holster

Think about taking a leap to the open carry world. Anyone have any suggestions for a high ride, close to the body owb holster for my g27? Was thinking maybe a bianchi black widow. Any advice or pics of yours would be great!
Thanks.

TheGlockTalker 04-06-2013 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutiger68 (Post 20161409)
Think about taking a leap to the open carry world. Anyone have any suggestions for a high ride, close to the body owb holster for my g27? Was thinking maybe a bianchi black widow. Any advice or pics of yours would be great!
Thanks.

I like and can recommend,
TT Gunleather (high ride),
Done Hume (721 OT),
High Noon (slide guard),
Mitch Rosen (upper limit).
Pick one, they're all very good.

Thanks

robhic 04-06-2013 16:12

Go here: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/ and look at the different models available.

There is also a wealth of info for making a selection.

ken grant 04-06-2013 16:58

Have to look long and hard to beat the Glock Sport/Combat

WayneJessie 04-06-2013 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutiger68 (Post 20161409)
Thanks.

Unless you are ready to look at every single person that gets close to you as a threat, I suggest something that has at least level II retention. That's the main reason I carry concealed so often. I don't have a holster at the moment that has anything more than just passive retention. You should count the times you will be in a public setting that someone you don't particularly trust is behind you in line or standing out of you direct line of sight. IMI has some nice units.

TxGlock9 04-06-2013 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneJessie (Post 20161819)
Unless you are ready to look at every single person that gets close to you as a threat, I suggest something that has at least level II retention. That's the main reason I carry concealed so often. I don't have a holster at the moment that has anything more than just passive retention. You should count the times you will be in a public setting that someone you don't particularly trust is behind you in line or standing out of you direct line of sight. IMI has some nice units.

First thing that came to my mind. Trust no one...

arshooterone 04-06-2013 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneJessie (Post 20161819)

This exactly, I will never open carry.

MikeG36 04-06-2013 20:22

It's been my experience over 30+ years of carrying that if your holster rides too high, the butt tends to pop out. This is especially true with shorter barrel pistols. For the G23 I carry every day I like the Galco Concealment holster and Milt Sparks 55BN. The sparks doesn't hold quite as close to the body as the Galco but it is one of the most comfortable designs I've ever used.

Cutiger68 04-07-2013 07:49

Thanks for all your input. They all look like great holsters. Now the hard part seems like picking out which one!

PattonT 04-07-2013 07:58

I have found the Glock Sport Combat holster to be one of the tightest OWB holsters made and it sits fairly high. If it isn't close to the body it kind of flops out with other holsters.

kahrcarrier 04-07-2013 08:08

Ryan Grizzle makes a great high ride OWB. Approx. 17 week waiting period right now.

I have a belt and a High Country on order. Tick, tick, tick...........

jim goose 04-07-2013 08:25

Never tried them, but check out Rusty Sherrick.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6.../HighRide2.jpg

kahrcarrier 04-07-2013 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim goose (Post 20163160)
Never tried them, but check out Rusty Sherrick.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6.../HighRide2.jpg

Not bad!

GlockRik 04-07-2013 09:06

Mitch Rosen Upper Limit works well for me. Also like comp-tac paddle.

tango44 04-07-2013 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken grant (Post 20161770)

+1 on the Glock holster.

mrvco 04-07-2013 18:01

Do you guys really open-carry in public places without some sort of active retention holster?

I bought one of those Glock sport / combat holsters and you certainly won't have to worry about anyone pulling your gun out of that thing... Including yourself. It is unbelievably sticky and gives an amazing wedgie. I thought I'd use it at the range and for IDPA while I wait on my Raven Concealment Phantom, but yeah, not even after removing the retention tabs and using a 5.11 Tactical 1.5" belt was I able to draw from that thing without significant pant-groin trauma.

cfrye11 04-07-2013 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken grant (Post 20161770)

Beat advise you got . $15 holster . Can't go wrong

molan labe

jhc37013 04-07-2013 18:26

Don Hume 721 O.T. (open top)

I think it's the best owb leather holster you can get, it is very comfortable and fits close to the body and slightly high but not so high it's not concealable if you want to carry like that.

I like high riders because they don't bother me when I sit down (rubbing the seat) and I can more easily get to my front pocket.

ken grant 04-07-2013 19:50

If you have problems drawing from the Glock S/C holster just give it a shot inside with Silicone Spray Lub and let dry.

hd3215 04-08-2013 02:11

I'd recommend at least a level II holster. As stated before, you never know what someone else is thinking, and what they will do. With just a regular level I holster you won't have enough time to react. People always say oh I keep my guard up, etc. etc. but 9 times out of 10, action will beat reaction. In the police academy I borrowed a friends blackhawk serpa level 3 holster with a glock 35, and someone who knows how to work a holster can either get it out completely, or get in a decent fight for your life before you know it. Someone behind me could snatch my glock out of a blackhawk level 3 holster before I could react fast enough.

Just food for thought