Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Food Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Just bought a turkery frier (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207776)

SixGlocks 12-20-2003 13:01

Just bought a turkery frier

I just bought a turkey frier. Always wanted one. Now that I have it, I was just wondering, What other foods and recipes do y'all have for me? This will be my first time using one and tasting what comes out of one. Thanks! ;f

hidden_19 12-20-2003 13:31

I did my first fried turkey last month, i got a tip after frying the bird, toss in some taters for some yummy tasting fries, and some batter dipped onion rings GOOD STUFF!!!

Oh yea, take some grands biscuit dough, roll em up like donuts and toss em in there!!

I plan on trying something i seen at the FLA state fair, deep fried sickers bars ;f ;a

ysr_racer 12-20-2003 13:45

1 Attachment(s)
Mmmmmmmmmmm.....

SixGlocks 12-20-2003 14:26

Quote:

Originally posted by ysr_racer
Mmmmmmmmmmm.....
WOW That looks Great! Now I'm hungry!

Oh one other question. What are the rules on re-using the oil? Any Do's and Dont's?

hidden_19 12-20-2003 14:31

peanut oil is not cheap so re-using it is a must. After mine cooled some i poured it through a filter i think you can use it 2-3 more times.

SixGlocks 12-20-2003 14:38

Quote:

Originally posted by hidden_19
peanut oil is not cheap so re-using it is a must. After mine cooled some i poured it through a filter i think you can use it 2-3 more times.
Thanks. If I use the oil, for say a turkey, can I use the same oils for a chicken, or should I only use it for 2 to 3 more turkeys only(ie flavor mixing?

MrsKitty 12-20-2003 15:08

Come on over to the Food Forum--those folks could help ya;)

wrenrj1 12-20-2003 17:59

Deep fried turkey is EXELLENT! But just be careful, don't burn down your house or deck, and keep people and pets away while heating, cooking, and cooling.

Wren

pesticidal 12-20-2003 18:11

I just cooked a turkey for my in-laws for an early Christmas dinner. You don't need peanut oil. I used Canola, and it worked just fine at half the price.

hispeedlodrag 12-20-2003 21:25

You can also "clean" the oil by making potato chips. Slice them thin using a grater or mandoline and add them after the turkey/other fried stuff.
Turkey fryers are also great for crab/crawfish boils--just add seafood/veggies, water, and Old Bay to taste.

MB-G26 12-21-2003 01:30

Turkey fryers: Recall notice

Since I don't have one I didn't follow the link through and note the specifics. On one of the local tv station's websites there was a text blip about a recall regarding these things.

I'll try to retrace my steps and find it again - editing to add the specifics.
m

SixGlocks 12-21-2003 05:44

Re: Turkey fryers: Recall notice

Quote:

Originally posted by MB-G26
Since I don't have one I didn't follow the link through and note the specifics. On one of the local tv station's websites there was a text blip about a recall regarding these things.

I'll try to retrace my steps and find it again - editing to add the specifics.
m

OH NO !! Thanks for checking MB.

Cajun 12-21-2003 16:02

I have deep fried chickens the same way with very good results.... just fry them for 9 minutes/pound.

keep using the oil as long as it isn't "burned" or dirty. Filter it before and after each use and you should be ok.

pesticidal 12-21-2003 16:14

You sure about the 9 minutes per pound? I go about 3-4 minutes per pound on a turkey at 375 degrees.

troyboy30 12-21-2003 19:05

quick tip

fill the fryer with water and add the turkey you are about to cook so you can judge how much oil you need to use. Last thing you want to do it heat up too much oil and have it overflow when you add the turkey. Just make sure you COMPLETELY dry the pot and turkey before cooking. We all know what happens when you add water to hot grease.

MrsKitty 12-21-2003 20:16

Quote:

Originally posted by Cajun
I have deep fried chickens the same way with very good results.... just fry them for 9 minutes/pound.

Chickens are great!!

More crispy skin per meat ratio on the bird;f

But I don't think we fried them quite that long? Typo? Or did we mess up?;g

Bruce H 12-22-2003 11:30

Here is a link to an cooker we use that doesn't need oil.http://www.ultimateroaster.com/ Can be used outside like a frier, in the oven, or on top of the stove. Makes for some good eats.

Cajun 12-22-2003 18:06

Quote:

Originally posted by pesticidal
You sure about the 9 minutes per pound? I go about 3-4 minutes per pound on a turkey at 375 degrees.
The 9 minutes/lbs is for chicken. Turkey i alwaysgo 3.5 minutes but I always leave it in until i can twist a drumstick bone before I remove it