Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Food Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Hot.... (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220918)

Power Pistol Pete 02-06-2004 23:09

Hot....

Who else likes Habenaroes? Seems like they go good with everything from hevous rancheros to *many other things*! ;N

*edited by MissKitty5077 due to content*

Medford4 02-07-2004 00:05

^c ;6 ^c yum-yum...They're hot enough when they give me the hic-cups

357 02-10-2004 10:05

Red savina habaneros are good in rice and beans. My favorite use is to blend ten to fifteen of them, add a pinch of garlic and marinate chicken for the grill.

nickg 02-10-2004 11:00

a little go a long way. they are great in chili.

Glockerel 02-10-2004 16:47

I brought my habanero plant inside in the Fall. Since I live in Minnesota. I figured I'd better. Here it is February, the plant is twice as big as it was in Septmeber. It's covered with blossoms and bright orange peppers.
I use them in everything from hot wings to omelttes to stirfries.
Something neat about habaneros- I love the smell when you slice one open.

CranialCrusader 02-14-2004 20:39

Was drinking with friends a couple weeks ago. Three of us popped a pepper, chewed, swallowed.

The pain began.

;6

CranialCrusader

Phil306 02-14-2004 21:03

Nothing better in chili, hot sauce, hot wings, and/or anything else you can think of...

;c ;c ;c

MrsKitty 02-14-2004 21:24

Chile Pequenos

I am not a fan of habaneros. I think they are bitter.

I am hooked on chile pequenos.

I have my plant inside. It isn't a traditional pepper plant. It makes a shrub with a woody stem. It will live several years before I kill it. When I do that, I will just start another one with some seeds I have saved from the peppers since it isn't a hybird;)

Chile pequenos are native to certain parts of Mexico. I got my first peppers from a Mexican I knew with a warning to NOT eat the pepper by itself. So what did I do? Immediately bit into it. Instead of gasping for breah as he expected, I ate a couple more;f But, shortly afterward I had blisters on my lips and tongue from the pepper they are so hot;P

There is alot of chile pequenos in this area IF you know where to look for them. The Mexicans have smuggled them into the country with them. (Seeds and plants are not supposed to cross the borders WITHOUT being properly inspected and regulated due to disease that can be carried over and contaminate our crops)

In Mexico, the plants grow wild and birds will eat the peppers. The peppers are tiny-the biggest they will get is about the size of a green pea. Due to the size of the peppers and the bird's eating them, another name for them is "bird's eye".

I keep my plant "starved" for water so I get smaller and hotter peppers. I can get a plant to live about four or five years before I kill it. When the plant is at it's peak, it can have as many as a hundred or even two hundred peppers on it!

The last time I checked, chile pequenos are not rated on the scoville scale but are hotter than habeneros if grown properly. I have ate both. People I know that eat habeneros have tried one of my chile pequenos. Just one:( Wimps.

A few pepper speciality seed suppliers carry the seed. They may be pricy due to the uniqueness of the item. The pepper is incredibly slow growing if you try to grow one. Don't expect to harvest your first pepper for at least six months. It can take up to three months for the seeds to sprout under ideal conditions too. As you can imagine, this adds to the "rarity" of this pepper.

allanc 02-15-2004 07:26

Re: Chile Pequenos

Quote:

Originally posted by misskitty5077

A few pepper speciality seed suppliers carry the seed. They may be pricy due to the uniqueness of the item. The pepper is incredibly slow growing if you try to grow one. Don't expect to harvest your first pepper for at least six months. It can take up to three months for the seeds to sprout under ideal conditions too. As you can imagine, this adds to the "rarity" of this pepper.

Rare?!? You should live in Texas. They are all over. I have one in the corner of my yard that came up as a volunteer about 4 years ago. It is over six feet tall. It never gets water and never gets pampered when its cold. It is always loaded with pepers.

MrsKitty 02-15-2004 08:37

Re: Re: Chile Pequenos

Quote:

Originally posted by allanc
Rare?!? You should live in Texas. They are all over. I have one in the corner of my yard that came up as a volunteer about 4 years ago. It is over six feet tall. It never gets water and never gets pampered when its cold. It is always loaded with pepers.
A bird probably dropped that seed for ya;)

That are RARE further North!

Now the question is: do you eat the peppers and what do you think of them?;f

allanc 02-15-2004 12:43

Re: Re: Re: Chile Pequenos

Quote:

Originally posted by misskitty5077
A bird probably dropped that seed for ya;)

That are RARE further North!

Now the question is: do you eat the peppers and what do you think of them?;f

I don't eat them often but they have their uses.

A good way to use them was taught to me by a Mexican (in Mexico). Take a small jar (like a baby food jar) and get the inside wet. Pour salt into the jar and let it coat the sides. Gently pour out the excess salt leaving the salt stuck to the bottom and sides. Fill the jar with chile pequines. Allow to sit for week. The peppers are then ready to be used on eggs, tacos, etc. They have a wonderful salty-hot taste. They are great with beer, too. ;f

9mm4me 02-15-2004 23:55

Helped a friend move a couple weeks ago and afterward me and the guys get to pounding some beers. The guy that lives next door comes over as he knows my friend and he and I start talking. Turns out he is a huge gun nut like myself and all of us end up going over to his house to check out his gun collection. After that we are all just BS'ing at the bar in his rec room and smoking fine cigars that this guy supplied us with (very cool neighbor BTW, wish he lived next door to me). Well the guy pull this glass jug out from behind the bar. Its a clear liquid with LOTS of peppers in it. The bottle had some kind of wicked strong vodka with HABENERO's all soaking in it. He asked us if we liked hot stuff and me and one of my braver friends spoke up and he poured us a shot. It was the hottest **** I have ever had in my life. It made me spit for 45 minutes at least. My bud light tasted like maple syrup after downing that stuff, it was the wierdest thing.