Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Veteran's Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   After 9/11, How many of Us Said, "I wish I could go back..." (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241066)

RussP 04-22-2004 22:42

After 9/11, How many of Us Said, "I wish I could go back..."
 
...and make a difference.

My wife was very glad they would never take me back.

We have two sons who may now go on active if Iraq continues...

Did you "think about it"?

CarlosDJackal 04-22-2004 23:08

Two weeks ago I received an e-mail informing me that I was accepted into a cohort MBA program. Within an hour, I also received a phone call from the VA Army National Guard informing me that they are in need of personnel to volunteer for Active duty in Afghanistan. I spent Easter weekend thinking about this.

The following Monday morning, I went and saw the Recruiter and told him that I would like to go ahead and volunteer as an Infantryman (11B) for deployment. Unfortunately, my Hyper-active Thyroid (Hyperthyroidism) permanently disqualifies me for military service.

I have very mixed feelings about this. I wish I was going with the boys - I miss the comaraderie that can only be experienced in a military unit. But at the same time, I also felt very relieved that I do not have to put my life on pause, nor will I have to.

I trully wish they have waivers for my condition, but it doesn't look like it. I guess I will just have to settle with serving my community as a Volunteer Deputy and pray for my fellow Soldiers who will be going into harm's way.

Although I am also considering applying for a stint over there with Blackwater as one of their contract Security.

Gary42141 04-22-2004 23:16

.

Chopperdog 04-23-2004 04:19

When 9/11 happened, I was in a training class for the company I was working for at the time. There were 2 other students and 2 instructors, all of us were prior Navy. All 5 of us sat around contemplating quitting our jobs and going back on active duty. None of us went back in the Nav though. Kinda wish I could have.

glockjeeper 04-23-2004 06:57

I thought about it and did it. I'm deployed right now and have been for the last two years as a medic in the ARMY.

insightAZ 04-23-2004 12:43

Quote:

Originally posted by Gary42141
I couldn't see volunteering for duty in Iraq though. It's just another in a series of worthless wars.
Thank god.

I wouldn't want you watching my six.

I respect your opinion, but I would like to let you know once again that you couldn't be more wrong.

Your inability to understand the global war on terror after everything that has been explained to you scares me.

insightAZ 04-23-2004 12:45

I have been thinking about going in a Guard or Reserve unit every day since I got out in 99.

The only thing keeping me from it is the smile on my 19 month old daughters face.

RussP 04-23-2004 18:47

Quote:

Originally posted by insightAZ
Thank god.

I wouldn't want you watching my six.

I respect your opinion, but I would like to let you know once again that you couldn't be more wrong.

Your inability to understand the global war on terror after everything that has been explained to you scares me.

Hey, AZ, you haven't known many submariners, those who've earned the right to wear these Dolphins, have you? I've known just one. I'd trust him on my six every time. Do we agree on everything? Hell no! But, in a fight, I pick him.

Here is something I found. You need to read it carefully, really read it.

Quote:

We Are A Submarine Sailor - A proud Heritage
Quote:

We are not the first of them and we will not be the last. Our heritage runs back to the first submarine. This heritage line continues forward into an unseen future. Each generation is trained by the one before. This will remain so until there is no more use for submarines, which will be never.

If one of us goes aboard a new or old submarine, we are comfortable with the men there. For they are us and we are them. Stand us in a line in all our dress uniforms or naked in our coffins, we are the same. We are and forever will be submarine sailors. We are one.

We can have everything taken from us, uniforms, medals, our sanity and our lives, but we will always be recognized by others and ourselves as a submariner. This status can not be removed from us.

Our Dolphins worn on our chests then, hung on our walls now, or later pinned on moldering uniforms in our graves mark us forever. We are first, last, and always men that stepped forward and worked long and hard to become what we are.

We are unique among sailors for we sail down deep into dark and always dangerous waters. We do this not with foolhardy go-to-hell bravery, but with cool calculation and care. We challenge the dangers with training and practice.

We know that the time for bravery will come when two shipmates close themselves in a flooding compartment, knowing that the whole boat and crew depends on them to control the flooding.

We believe in each other, because we must. Alone at sea, the crew and a pressure hull are all we have to reach the surface again. Men with confidence in each other dive and surface submarines countless times. Each man trained by others holds the lives of those shipmates in his hands. Dolphins are the symbol of this tradition.

Submarine hulls have numbers and men have hearts and souls. We carry those numbers in our hearts in life, and they mark our souls in death. Silver or Gold, Dolphins are the symbol of this.

To us Dolphins are it, no other symbol matters or means anything as important as they do.
First let me ask Gary42141 if he subscribes to this description of a Submariner; do you?"

Assuming he does, and I believe this is one time making an assuption will not make an "ass" out of me, and you and he are on the same team, would you still not want him on your six?

I'd suggest that to judge Gary42141 on his one comment before you get to know the man behind it isn't fair.

Hey, it's only my opinion....;?

Gary42141 04-23-2004 18:54

.

insightAZ 04-23-2004 21:29

Quote:

Originally posted by RussP
I'd suggest that to judge Gary42141 on his one comment before you get to know the man behind it isn't fair.

Hey, it's only my opinion....;?

I have been around and around with Gary for months on several issues.

The last quality post was when he shot himself in the hand a few months ago.

Just kidding Gary.


;a

CarlosDJackal 04-23-2004 21:34

Russ,

I'm with AZ on this one. I wouldn't want anyone who felt like Gary does watching my six should I be overseas right now. I could care less if he could be the most high-speed, low-drag Airborne, Ranger, SF, SEAL, or what-have-you with a chestfull of medals and years of combat experience. It is not a judgement on the man, but a judgement of the man's attitude.

Based on my limited military experience (I only served for a total of 12 years), I've had to deal with enough fellow soldiers with negative attitudes to know that I would rather man a foxhole by myself rather than share it with someone who will probably spend more of his time whining about the situation instead of watching my six. I've been there and done that and there is nothing more irritating and disgusting than having to pull someone else's slack.

I would rather face danger with the likes of (the late) SGT Pat Tillman (God bless him and his family) than some "hero" who doesn't believe what they are doing. Nothing personal, but badges mean diddly-squat when the chips are down (I have three myself). I could never trust someone who did not believe in what he was doing anymore than I could trust someone who was forced into service (i.e. draftee). JM2CW.

insightAZ, you keep you head down and watch your six. I tried to volunteer but they won't take me anymore for medical reasons. :(

Gary42141 04-23-2004 22:02

.

GLockCowboy 04-23-2004 22:45

Quote:

Originally posted by Gary42141
I couldn't see volunteering for duty in Iraq though. It's just another in a series of worthless wars.
Do you think they will let you back in if you volunteered?

Gary42141 04-24-2004 03:43

.

RussP 04-24-2004 08:30

Quote:

Originally posted by CarlosDJackal
Russ,

I'm with AZ on this one. I wouldn't want anyone who felt like Gary does watching my six should I be overseas right now. I could care less if he could be the most high-speed, low-drag Airborne, Ranger, SF, SEAL, or what-have-you with a chestfull of medals and years of combat experience. It is not a judgement on the man, but a judgement of the man's attitude.

Based on my limited military experience (I only served for a total of 12 years), I've had to deal with enough fellow soldiers with negative attitudes to know that I would rather man a foxhole by myself rather than share it with someone who will probably spend more of his time whining about the situation instead of watching my six. I've been there and done that and there is nothing more irritating and disgusting than having to pull someone else's slack.

I would rather face danger with the likes of (the late) SGT Pat Tillman (God bless him and his family) than some "hero" who doesn't believe what they are doing. Nothing personal, but badges mean diddly-squat when the chips are down (I have three myself). I could never trust someone who did not believe in what he was doing anymore than I could trust someone who was forced into service (i.e. draftee). JM2CW.

insightAZ, you keep you head down and watch your six. I tried to volunteer but they won't take me anymore for medical reasons. :(

Hey, Carlos, I'll take my own advice and read some more, get to know more about Gary and insightAZ.

Are you going to the Old Dominion Gun Show at the Rivanna Volunteer Fire Company? I'm trying to get my son-in-law to go with me Sunday. He lives about ten minutes from there.

RussP

Okay, gentlemen, in the future I'll try to follow my own advice before giving it... ;f

Patricia 04-24-2004 09:09

Quote:

Originally posted by Gary42141
At the age of 40? ;f

Personally, I believe anyone thinking of enlisting at the moment needs to look at how the military is being used for things other than it's intended purpose, and at who our elected leadership is.

If these things don't bother you...go for it. It bothers the hell out of me, which is why I made the comment. I view Iraq as yet another ill-conceived war in a long list of ill-conceived wars and conflicts that have nothing to do with defending this country.

Gary, with all due respect sir, when I set up this forum, the idea was that it would be a place for Veterans to gather, share stories, etc. Although I understand you are entitled to your opinion in answering Russ's questions, I do want to make it clear that I have no intention of this forum turning into another political issues. I understand that your post quoted above does explain your answer to Russ's questions, but I would prefer it not go any further than that. It does bring up a question that I have been wanting to ask, but I think I will start a seperate thread for it and not hijack this one.

CarlosDJackal 04-24-2004 16:28

Quote:

Originally posted by RussP
Hey, Carlos, I'll take my own advice and read some more, get to know more about Gary and insightAZ.

Are you going to the Old Dominion Gun Show at the Rivanna Volunteer Fire Company? I'm trying to get my son-in-law to go with me Sunday. He lives about ten minutes from there.

RussP

Okay, gentlemen, in the future I'll try to follow my own advice before giving it... ;f

Unfortunately, my Father (a Combat Veteran of WWII and a survivor of the Bataan Death march) broke his hip when he fell early Thursday morning. So I drove up to Baltimore where he is to see him and will not be making it back in time to make it to the Gun Show Sunday. He just got out of ICU this afternoon but is still in severe pain from the operation.

He's 88 years old and has Type II Diabates, 2 pacemakers, has had a stroke (29 years ago), a quadruple bypass (19 years ago), and various other ailments. We fear that he may be on the last legs of his life. So I'm trying to spend as much time as possible. God only knows how many Veterans of the Bataan Death March are still alive today.

I would appreciate any prayers for this member of teh "Greatest Generation".

RussP 04-24-2004 16:41

Prayers are coming;? ;w

May I post a prayer request for you on GNG?

Give your dad an extra hug tonight. Tell him it's from a guy whose reason is, "Just because..."


;?

cowboywannabe 04-24-2004 19:55

tried to see if they still had 2 yr enlistments...... then the Navy recruiter said i was too old! (already 35). wow, man, now i do feel old. ive never been told i was too old for anything except the chuckie cheese play land slide.

whiskey_moodz 04-25-2004 08:42

I thought about it...

Went down to the Marine Recruiter. Every thing was going well until I got on the scale. I'm 5'9 and I weight 210lbs at the time. Very fit and muscler. But in older to reenlist. I had to met the hight and weight standard with out the aid of body fat count.

Which sucks cause he called other recruiter in to get them to guess my weight and they came up with the same weight he figured..180lbs

So I tried to lose the weight but it was way too hard. Losing fat is easy. Losing mucles is another story. I guess my workout standard did change with I got out.

But if they took me back as is I would go in a heart beat. Rather be an instructor to help keep my boys alive. Survial skills is the key..
=================================================================
But tell one more story. Like Sgt Tillman, I had friend who called me two days after 9/11 and asked it I would go down to the Army Recruiter with him, to make sure he was getting the best deal possible. With in a month he was off serving his country also. He wrote me a letter while he was in boot camp saying he wished he have joined sooner.



Whiskey Moodz

Patricia 04-25-2004 10:40

Carlos, prayers on the way.

redwinger 04-26-2004 21:02

I was more out raged and readdy to re enlist back when desert storm was brewin in 90-91.I GUESS I JUST WASENT THAT SUPRIZED!almost felt like why didnt they try that before(they did but from underground at the twin towers, and we all know that was unsucessful.

TScottW99 04-27-2004 03:49

I went through the emotions. I wanted to go something bad, felt quilty that I was not there, still know too many people who are over there. My wife and family would have divorced me though. Mom called shortly after and told me not to even think about it I had served my time.

RussP 04-27-2004 06:50

Quote:

Originally posted by TScottW99
My wife and family would have divorced me though. Mom called shortly after and told me not to even think about it I had served my time.
Nope, I bet your Mom called and threatened to sell your turkey guns if you left!!;f ;f ;f

shrpnl 04-30-2004 14:45

When I head about 9/11, I was ready to quit my job and join back up. Unfortunatley my brain and doctor told me that it wouldn't be a good idea with the injuries I sustained the first time around. Like many of you said, I miss the comraderie and sense of purpose the Military gave me.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Glock Talk, All Rights Reserved.