Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Ham Shack (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Do you smoke your HAM ? ? ? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247232)

Alex_Knight 05-13-2004 22:28

Do you smoke your HAM ? ? ?

;f ;f ;f

That can have special meaning to guys who do mods.

;f

k8ysv 05-14-2004 05:38

Don't you have your OWN forum for inane posts?

bangelo 05-14-2004 06:19

Lightning smoked one of my hams. Forgot to ground it.

KB4IFS 05-14-2004 18:41

Funny story, to me anyway. When I first became a Ham in Virginia, the Ol Virginia Hams, had a hamfest. Old guy and his wife pulled in a bought two tickets. Came back real fast when he found out there was no ham to eat!

k8ysv 05-14-2004 18:43

Actually, we're giving away some canned hams among the door prizes at my club's hamfest this year. :)

Eddie C. 05-14-2004 18:47

We've smoked a few radio's/antenna's when they were hit by lightning. Even being grounded couldn't save some from a direct hit on the antenna.

Short Cut 05-14-2004 18:53

Yeah, but they are difficult to roll without ripping the papers.

GSD17 05-14-2004 20:01

ok..

Oli 05-16-2004 11:21

done that

hi,

yes done that - Once - I smoked my 2m ham-gear (TRX).

Smoked Ham tastes and smells a lot better tham burned electronics.

The powersupply got wild and produced more than 13.5 Volts. Unfortunatly the Radio does't work very long on 28Volts. Exploded elko's have a very bad smell.

Since than the psu's have a protection-circuit against overvoltage.

vy 73

Alex_Knight 05-17-2004 09:54

Quote:

Originally posted by k8ysv
Don't you have your OWN forum for inane posts?

Actually, I was bringing up a somewhat serious issue in a light hearted manner.

I should add that my exterior antennas have never been hit by lightning.................................................yet ! ! !

;f ;f ;f

Captain Caveman 05-17-2004 10:30

I don't even smoke cigarettes ;)

pizzaaguy 05-17-2004 13:05

Re: Do you smoke your HAM ? ? ?

I tried once...had trouble keeping the dang thing lit! ;f

EUPHER49 05-23-2004 19:24

Hey Eddie C

Properly grounded antenna systems RARELY are struck by lightning.

Using DC grounded antennas is a big plus in lightning protection for anyones shack.

A 10K resistor placed across the feedpoint of a dipole is very effective at grounding both sides.

AD3X

Mallan 05-29-2004 22:43

I've smoked ICs

Oh wait, No... IC's are really plastic encapsulated smoke. When they get hot and the plastic breaks or melts, the smoke gets out and they don't work anymore! ;)

AC7DM

00Buck 06-04-2004 12:11

Do you smoke your HAM ? ? ?

Sometimes I am amazed that in 35 years of ham radio I have never been hit. I was missed and one of my neighbors was hit underneath the eve of his house??? I do have everything grounded well and maybe there is something to the idea that the static drain from grounds actually reduce your chances of being hit.

G36pilot 06-10-2004 08:59

Two weeks ago lightning struck a tree adjacent our house. The main charge scored the tree to the ground and two "fingers" nailed the house. My nearby, taller, and heavily grounded antennae appears untouched. It's feed line runs into the office and was disconnected from the equipment and also grounded.

One of the fingers zapped an exterior security light, then traveled down the wall to an outlet then exited via a siding nail to ground- literally. At the exit point interior sheet rock and exterior wood siding was dislodged. The circuit breaker for that single circuit and the main breakers were tripped. Our computer cable system wireless router was damaged but not the cable modem nor any of the desktops connected to it. Since this was on a different circuit and on the far side of the home, we're guessing a power surge was experienced.

All in all relatively minor damage, but major excitement.

uhlawpup 06-10-2004 18:44

I was struck back in the mid 80s...or my gear was,anyway. Had an old 2 meter rig hooked to a two meter antenna whose name escapes me because I'm having a senior moment. Lighting hit the antenna, melted the square tuning link round, blew the knobs off the two meter rig, fried my Swan 700CX, inducted into a dead piece of coax in the drywall, which writhed back and fort bowing out the sheetrock in the radio room and the adjacent bathroom, and finally exited through the tub. The EM pulse took out my TV, telephone answering machine and intercom.

For this I got several thousand dollars for home repair and a (then) brand new Kenwood TS940SAT.

God Bless State Farm!

Caretaker 06-26-2004 06:27

Re: Do you smoke your HAM ? ? ?

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex_Knight
;f ;f ;f

That can have special meaning to guys who do mods.

;f

me thinks Alex is smoking more than his HAM here...lol
hi alex...73 de kevin N1KGM