Glock Talk

Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Veteran's Forum (http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   what's up, guys (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250030)

Bill Powell 05-23-2004 10:40

what's up, guys

i figured there would be a lot more interest in this veteran's war story forum. i thought the younger guys would kike to hear war stories from the veterans, and that the veterans would like to share them. both the younger guys and the vets have stories handed down from older vets. hell, i'm 62, when i was a kid i knew a guy who knew billy the kid personally. i love war stories, and i love telling them. a war story does not have to be about combat. next i will tell about a couple of my uncle's adventures in germany.

Central Texan 05-24-2004 14:30

I guess I'm one of the 'younger guys' your talkin about Bill (a lil ol PFC). I love hearing stories that my NCO's and Officers tell. I dont have any of my own yet except for some from basic.
But your right, the actual combat stories are great, but its some of the other ones that you (the listner) realy learn from. One NCO in particular (SSG) really looks out for us who are E-4 and below. He is always telling us not what were doing wrong, but how to fix it. He does so buy telling us how he learned the right way, and most of the time it's a pretty halarious story. I dont know how much of it is true, but I dont guess that's quite as important as the point being made.
War stories are a great source of entertainment, but also a great sorce for learning.

So keep em commin yall! Theres a loley PFC down here in Texas who wants to be high speed and, as Lt says, "asaap" (as squared away as possible).

Bill Powell 05-24-2004 14:55

what's up, guys

i had a platoon sgt in germany that was always telling us that he didn't like giving us a hard time. my standard answer was that if he didn't like his job, he needed to quit. but, central texan, you need tio wait til you're a little more secure in you position befor you start that crap.

we had a platoon leader, a second Lt, named zavertnik, and he was about as coordinated as his name. his platoon point man was a guy named west, six feet eight inches tall. his platoon guide, who is suppose to line his step up with the point man, was a guy named gee, five feet even. the only salvation his platoon had was that he was too lazy to call cadence, and the platoon sgt did it. i ran into him later in korea. damn, i'm glad i wasn't in his unit.

i said earlier, somewhere else, for me basic was absolute gravy. i'd spent most of life running up and down those ariz mountains. i was in great shape, plus i already was familiar with procedure cdause i'd been in the national guard.

Bill Powell 05-26-2004 19:31

what's up guys

this is about my uncle the super soldier, who captured several dozen german soldiers single handed. one day they over-ran a german position, and a lot of equipment was abandoned when the germans bugged out. my uncle had been hearing for a couple of years about how bad those german MG s were, so a test was arranged. they tied ammo belts together, and wrapped them around a broom handle. my uncle put that butt plate to his shoulder, pulled the trigger, and held it. that MG started climbing, and shooting over the next hill. some colonel in an L-5 was coming over the hill from the other direction. the colonel panicked and ran away when little holes started appearing in his plane. about the time the gun burnt itself up and stopped firing, a couple of truck loads of MPs came over the hill behind him. he figured, well, i'm busted, but the trucks went right past him to a little stand of trees in the valley. when my uncle looked down in the valley the MPs were rounding up german infantry that hidden in hidey holes, so they could create mischief in the rear echelon. when those 8 mm bullets started singing through the trees, the germans thought they had been spotted, and were giving themselves up in droves. my uncle's shoulder was not broken, but it was bruised so badly he had to wear it in a sling til the muscle got a little tone back. he thought the better part of valor was to sneak away into the sunset before they decided to look for the guy who poked holes in the colonel's plane. remember, a pissed off colonel was why the MPs were there in the first place. i'm not gonna re-read this, so edit as you read.

spetsnaz777 05-29-2004 19:58

Central Texan- are you by chance stationed at Ft.Hood?